Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a place somewhere in the mountains
07-11-2018, 04:16 PM,
a place somewhere in the mountains
"Its in the mountains somewhere north of Santa Fe." For a moment let's leave out two words and see how the sentence reads. "It's in the mountains somewhere Santa Fe".The original sentence is telling us the same thing but north of Santa Fe is simply more precise.It could just as well read "The north of Santa Fe is somewhere in the mountains".

Think "the big picture".The north of Santa Fe is where Fenn will rest .

"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time".

That place for Fenn is home.
07-11-2018, 06:14 PM,
RE: a place somewhere in the mountains
(07-11-2018, 04:16 PM)paulb Wrote: "Its in the mountains somewhere north of Santa Fe." For a moment let's leave out two words and see how the sentence reads. "It's in the mountains somewhere Santa Fe".The original sentence is telling us the same thing but north of Santa Fe is simply more precise.It could just as well read "The north of Santa Fe is somewhere in the mountains".

Think "the big picture".The north of Santa Fe is where Fenn will rest .

"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time".

That place for Fenn is home.

The statement "Its in the mountains somewhere north of Santa Fe." always had an odd ring to it for me. In its simplest reading, it does sound like he is talking about the mounts that are north of Santa Fe, in the state of New Mexico. Some suggested early on that Forrest probably expected the search to be more of a local New Mexico affair, that it wouldn't take off like it did, and that the statement may imply that.

If we use the same words and say it like this: "It's somewhere north of Santa Fe in the mountains", that sounds even more strongly that he's thinking New Mexico, not the mountains beyond. So perhaps the original statement means that it could be somewhere in the mountains of one of the four states, but definitely north of Santa Fe.

I agree that it is reasonable to think, based upon the original statement and many other things that Forrest has said or written, that the treasure chest is near home, that he would want to die at or near home as many of us ultimately prefer. But contrary to this I would also state that Forrest has had many homes in the Rocky Mountains, and perhaps his current home could never replace the home of a place where he felt that he was truly at home, such as his boyhood "homes" of Wyoming and Montana. You could debate the question as to whether he felt more at home in Texas or in Yellowstone when he was young. I believe it would be the latter, as the stress levels conveyed in his stories about the two places may suggest.

He may intend to arrive where he started, yes, but he did not start in Santa Fe.

We cannot confirm where Forrest feels most at home, yet I believe that that his spot is absolutely linked to a place that he shared with someone dear.

You also refer to "the big picture" quote, which was extremely interesting and I believe confused a lot of searchers. He was talking about wwwh, and of course "You need to know where warm waters halt". In my view we need to take a big picture view of the clue solution to wwwh specifically, and understand the clue solution First and an actual geographic location Second, and the other clues in the poem taken as a contiguous whole.

On another thread recently brubr stated (I don't recall the exact wording) that the clues are not just ordered or sequential, but are contiguous. I have always agreed with this, and Forrest said it, and I believe that you can take that to the bank. The fact that Forrest said about the poem that "It is a map" further confirms this, and in addition stated that "It is an architectural plan".

I believe that the correct and detailed diagram of the solution can be read like a concise, contiguous map or plan, and is an exact analog of the real landscape that it depicts.

The poem is a map/architectural plan, that will direct you precisely to a spot somewhere in the mountains north of Santa Fe, below the Canadian border...

SYand42lbsHeavier,
Halogetter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where exactly are the Rockey Mountains? monkeyking 10 2,272 12-14-2017, 04:29 PM
Last Post: pidmt
  At the Mountains of Madness..... knighterrant 9 4,600 08-08-2016, 02:28 PM
Last Post: knighterrant
  The Pirates of the Rocky Mountains JohnRicko 1 1,437 05-15-2016, 08:36 PM
Last Post: deb
  My church is in the mountains - I found it! Jack 13 7,806 03-16-2016, 10:09 AM
Last Post: astree
  The Rocky Mountains Project Why 11 3,243 08-25-2014, 09:26 PM
Last Post: tom
  In the ROCKY MOUNTAINS! lkjackson321 11 3,929 08-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Last Post: