Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Poem Purist Perspective
05-19-2018, 07:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-21-2018, 12:51 PM by realistrealist.)
Poem Purist Perspective
I'm a little tired, so putting down what I have for now. Open to suggestions on what I missed or other perspectives. Some of this stuff has already been said by a number of people.

A key to reading the poem and deriving meaning is to understand the use of poetic conventions and devices. Simply google searching “poetic devices” will lead you to a listing of what poets use in their writings to convey meaning. Poets use poetic devices to leave breadcrumbs for the reader to understand the underlying meaning of their poems. Fenn appears to use many poetic devices. One of the most well known poetic devices is alliteration.

Alliteration:

“Alliteration is a rhetorical device that repeats the same sound, usually a consonant, at the start of a series of words or sentences… Depending on how alliteration is used in the text, it can have a different impact on the meaning of the text or how the reader experiences it… Alliteration can't carry the whole poem or piece of prose. When it is used, it typically includes a few words to a sentence. Sometimes, it is used with as little as two words. Alliteration emphasizes the meaning contained in those words. In William Shakespeare's "Sonnet 73," alliteration occurs in the line "Which by and by black night doth take away." The emphasis on those words underscores the theme of the whole poem, which is the passage of time leading to death, or "black night."”

The most notable appearance of alliteration in Fenn’s poem is in what is assumed to be the first clue: “Begin it where warm waters halt”. Fenn often cites the first clue as the most important clue in the poem. He has often stated that if you don’t know where warm waters halt, you have nothing. He uses alliteration in the poem to emphasize the importance of the beginning point. There is a high likelihood the letter W is intentionally used and that it is directly related to the correct first clue. Whether that means the warm waters start with the letter W or are named “warm” hasn’t been proven yet, but it is likely one of those two are true. One of TTOTC’s chapters is titled “Me in the Middle” and in the middle of the three W’s is “warm.” The other possibilities are that the treasure and trove are located along warm waters as are all the other eight clues or the W is referring to Wyoming.

Chremamorphism:

Chremamorphism is “giving characteristics of an object to a person.” In stanzas 1, 5, and 6, it appears that the word “I” is corresponding to both Fenn and the landscape features of the map he is creating with the poem. He is describing locations from an overhead or pilot’s point of view. He is attributing those landscape features to himself in a sort of reverse form of personification. Fenn actually may subtly hint at this in TTOTC when he says, “And I laughed at myself for being so human” in My War for Me.

The landscape features provide the general area of the clues and the beginning of the actual route to the treasure chest. He foreshadows “where warm waters halt” when writing “hint of treasures new and old.” The hints are map boundaries that can be matched to landscape place names in the correct region.

The hints appear to be:
• Alone
• Bold
• Secret
• Where
• Riches new and old
• Why
• Trove
• Seek
• Answers I know
• Hear me all
• Listen good
• Effort
• Cold
• Brave
• In the wood
• Title
• Gold

If you take the above terms and match them to landscape features on a map, you should be put in the correct general area of the starting point. If all of these terms relate to the physical landscape surrounding the starting point, or the entire route of the clues, how does a searcher narrow down the correct region within the Rockies? It appears Fenn uses homophones.

Homophones:

Taken from Wikipedia, “Homophones are often used to create puns and to deceive the reader (as in crossword puzzles) or to suggest multiple meanings. The last usage is common in poetry and creative literature. An example of this is seen in Dylan Thomas's radio play Under Milk Wood: "The shops in mourning" where mourning can be heard as mourning or morning.”

A subset of homophones are sometimes called oronyms: “Homophones of multiple words or phrases (as sometimes seen in word games) are also known as "oronyms".”
A few examples taken from Wikipedia are:

• “"ice cream" vs. "I scream" (as in the popular song "I scream. You scream. We all scream for ice cream.")
• "euthanasia" vs. "Youth in Asia"
• "depend" vs. "deep end"
• "Gemini" vs. "Jim and I" vs. "Jem in eye"”

It appears Fenn may have used a few homophones or oronyms in his poem.

Examples taken from the poem are below:
• “alone in there” – alone in the air
• “why is it I must go and leave my” – Wyoming
• “where” – ware; “secret where” - silverware
• “hear me all” – Heimdallr
• “end is ever” – endeavor
• “drawing nigh” – drawing I or drawing eye
• “quest to cease” – quest two C’s/quest two seas
• “quickly” – quick-tree (an Old English name for aspen was cwicbeam, literally "quick-tree")
• “wise” – Y’s
• “they’ll be no” – del bano
• “paddle up your creek” – pad L/pedal upper creek
• “listen” – list N

It is also possible he spelled out CYCLING within the poem by using homophones (though unlikely).

Punctuation:

Punctuation in poetry can be used in a variety of ways. An image is attached below that shows the way Fenn breaks apart the poem with punctuation. Periods, commas, semi-colons, and blank punctuation (no punctuation) at the end of a line can serve to drastically alter a line’s meaning. “Enjambment, derived from the French word enjambment, means to step over, or put legs across. In poetry it means moving over from one line to another without a terminating punctuation mark. It can be defined as a thought or sense, phrase or clause, in a line of poetry that does not come to an end at the line break, but moves over to the next line. In simple words, it is the running on of a sense from one couplet or line to the next without a major pause or syntactical break.” Some features of enjambment are:

• “It is a running on of a thought from one line to another without final punctuation.
• It is used in poetry to trick a reader. Poets lead their readers to think of an idea, then move on the next line, giving an idea that conflicts with it.”

There are four lines that do not end with punctuation. The lines are:

• “As I have gone alone in there”
• “Begin it where warm waters halt”
• “So why is it I must go”
• “If you are brave an in the wood”

The first and third line above are related to one another and the second and fourth lines appear to be related to one another. Focusing on the first and third lines, both lines are speaking to Fenn going alone somewhere. As shown for the third line, “why is it I must go” is a near homophone for Wyoming. Likewise, the first line also appears a homophone and verifying the third line – “why...go” “alone.” He answers because he has done it tired and now he is weak.

The second line appears more ambiguous and tougher to understand, but if we are supposed to understand that it is related to the fourth line (similarly to the first and third lines above) then we would know that “warm waters halt” “in the wood.” Looking up synonyms of halt that mean “in the wood” results in “park” (verb meaning – “bring (a vehicle that one is driving) to a halt”; noun derived from parc – “"enclosed wood or heath land used as a game preserve"). It appears the linking of these sentences is no coincidence.

Combining the information from the non-punctuated lines results in “Park” and “Wyoming”. This can mean a number of things: the beginning point is Park County, Wyoming; the beginning point is Park County (MT or WY) and the chest is in Wyoming; the starting point is a National Park in Wyoming; etc. The enjambment of, “So why is it that I must go And leave my trove for all to seek?” with no punctuation separating the lines seems to suggest that the trove is hidden in Wyoming. Lines that begin with a capitalized, “And” link a singular idea between lines and Fenn uses no terminal punctuation prior to such lines. To check if Park County, WY or a Park in Wyoming is the starting point, it’d be wise to go back to the beginning of the poem.

At the beginning of the poem, prior to the clues coming into play, it appears the enjambment of, “As I have gone alone in there And with my treasures bold,” is referring to the two nicknames of Montana: Big Sky Country (alone in “the air” from the homophones section) and, the capitalized, The Treasure State (“treasures bold”). “Warm” waters or “W” waters should help narrow this down further along with the existence of a suitable canyon and give the actual starting point defined by the clues. If the hints derived from nouns seen in the chremamorphism section are correct, it shouldn’t be too difficult to find the correct starting point.

After looking at the parts of the poem without punctuation, there are commas, semi-colons, and periods. Commas “set off non-restrictive modifiers” that add “information that is not essential to our understanding the sentence.” They can be removed and the sentence should still stand on its own. Semi-colons are “most commonly used to link two independent clauses that are closely related in thought.” Periods are “placed at the end of a declarative sentence to indicate a full stop.” “One of the most powerful tools in any reader’s arsenal is the pause. Where do pauses occur in a poem? Wherever you see a powerful moment. Such moments include any punctuated pause, including dashes, commas, semicolons, or periods. Poets use punctuation as carefully and meaningfully as they use any other part of language; it’s always powerful.”

Armed with the above knowledge, and starting with the first stanza, Montana’s nicknames were already discovered in the first two lines using a homophones and logical deduction. The first line is followed by a comma, comma, and period in lines 2, 3, and 4 respectively. We showed how the enjambment between lines 1 and 2 showed a continuation of a single idea, Montana’s nicknames, and it is likely that lines 3 and 4 are linked to Montana, but the commas indicate the lines are non-restrictive (they are not restricting where Fenn has gone, Montana). It appears that lines 3 and 4 one of two things: Montana’s motto “oro y plata” which is translated to “Gold and Silver” or the towns of Silver Gate and Cooke City. Line 3 may be referring to a specific place within Montana or it may be describing, via homophone, the “ware”s (“riches” – natural resources) of Montana. Or the homophone “ware” may be referring to pottery and cookware/bakeware pointing to Cooke City in Montana. “It is tough to leave out any other information that links the lines to Montana (and thus no knowledge/research needed requirement), but that information is included below just as an addendum:

• Gold and silver have been used as currency since the fourth millennium BCE (old vs. riches new of the chest)
• Silver mining (“secret where” -> silver ware) was a major industry in Montana in the 1800’s - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana_Silver_Mining
• Girl Scouts song “Make New Friends” – “Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver, the other is gold” may help link the lines.

Paradox:

“The term paradox is from the Greek word paradoxon, which means “contrary to expectations, existing belief, or perceived opinion.”

It is a statement that appears to be self-contradictory or silly, but which may include a latent truth. It is also used to illustrate an opinion or statement contrary to accepted traditional ideas. A paradox is often used to make a reader think over an idea in innovative way.”

Fenn appears to use a few paradoxes in his poem. They are:

• “Not far, but too far to walk”
• “Your effort will be worth the cold”

“Not far, but too far” appears to be an inconsequential and ambiguous statement to be made if the intent is to give directions to somewhere. Fenn could have simply removed the line and wrote “drive” if that’s what was meant by the line. Most believe it means you will be driving. But, the line appears to be written ambiguously as a paradox to challenge the reader to come up with an innovative solution – using their imagination to come up with the answer. To drive would be the simple answer and it appears to be the wrong answer. The hidden truth is that not far isn't far at all. It may refer to a bridge crossing, crossing a street, or some other crossing.

The second line, “Your effort will be worth the cold” seems like it is written backwards. Effort has a few definitions such as: “use of physical or mental energy; hard work,” “a notable achievement,” and “earnest and conscientious activity intended to do or accomplish something.” When reading the line from the poem, the immediate thought is that effort is referring to physical exertion, but that doesn’t appear to be the case. So why would Fenn write effort instead of achievement or reward? Is effort in some way linked to the homophone endeavor in “the end is ever drawing nigh.” If so, in what way does the effort require you to get cold? Is this figurative or referring to cold temperature (trout waters, snow, ice, etc.)?

https://imgur.com/a/TAwETWl
05-19-2018, 09:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-19-2018, 09:33 PM by realistrealist.)
RE: Poem Purist Perspective
(05-19-2018, 08:21 PM)question Wrote: Great job as always rr.

Smile

One of the things I don't quite get is "it."

If your effort/endeavor is "it" what is the effort being talked about?... just the walk/hike/travel?
05-19-2018, 09:33 PM,
(05-19-2018, 07:54 PM)realistrealist Wrote: I'm a little tired, so putting down what I have for now. Open to suggestions on what I missed or other perspectives. Some of this stuff has already been said by a number of people.

A key to reading the poem and deriving meaning is to understand the use of poetic conventions and devices. Simply google searching “poetic devices” will lead you to a listing of what poets use in their writings to convey meaning. Poets use poetic devices to leave breadcrumbs for the reader to understand the underlying meaning of the poems. Fenn appears to use many poetic devices. One of the most well known poetic devices is alliteration.

Alliteration:

“Alliteration is a rhetorical device that repeats the same sound, usually a consonant, at the start of a series of words or sentences… Depending on how alliteration is used in the text, it can have a different impact on the meaning of the text or how the reader experiences it… Alliteration can't carry the whole poem or piece of prose. When it is used, it typically includes a few words to a sentence. Sometimes, it is used with as little as two words. Alliteration emphasizes the meaning contained in those words. In William Shakespeare's "Sonnet 73," alliteration occurs in the line "Which by and by black night doth take away." The emphasis on those words underscores the theme of the whole poem, which is the passage of time leading to death, or "black night."”

The most notable appearance of alliteration in Fenn’s poem is in what is assumed to be the first clue: “Begin it where warm waters halt”. Fenn often cites the first clue as the most important clue in the poem. He has often stated that if you don’t know where warm waters halt, you have nothing. He uses alliteration in the poem to emphasize the importance of the beginning point. There is a high likelihood the letter W is intentionally used and that it is directly related to the correct first clue. Whether that means the warm waters start with the letter W or are named “warm” hasn’t been proven yet, but it is likely one of those two are true. One of TTOTC’s chapters is titled “Me in the Middle” and in the middle of the three W’s is “warm.” The other possibilities are that the treasure and trove are located along warm waters as are all the other eight clues or the W is referring to Wyoming.

Chremamorphism:

Chremamorphism is “giving characteristics of an object to a person.” In stanzas 1, 5, and 6, it appears that the word “I” is corresponding to both Fenn and the landscape features of the map he is creating with the poem. He is describing locations from an overhead or pilot’s point of view. He is attributing those landscape features to himself in a sort of reverse form of personification. Fenn actually may subtly hint at this in TTOTC when he says, “And I laughed at myself for being so human” in My War for Me.

The landscape features provide the general area of the clues and the beginning of the actual route to the treasure chest. He foreshadows “where warm waters halt” when writing “hint of treasures new and old.” The hints are map boundaries that can be matched to landscape place names in the correct region.

The hints appear to be:
• Alone
• Bold
• Secret
• Where
• Riches new and old
• Why
• Trove
• Seek
• Answers I know
• Hear me all
• Listen good
• Effort
• Cold
• Brave
• In the wood
• Title
• Gold

If you take the above terms and match them to landscape features on a map, you should be put in the correct general area of the starting point. If all of these terms relate to the physical landscape surrounding the starting point, or the entire route of the clues, how does a searcher narrow down the correct region within the Rockies? It appears Fenn uses homophones.

Homophones:

Taken from Wikipedia, “Homophones are often used to create puns and to deceive the reader (as in crossword puzzles) or to suggest multiple meanings. The last usage is common in poetry and creative literature. An example of this is seen in Dylan Thomas's radio play Under Milk Wood: "The shops in mourning" where mourning can be heard as mourning or morning.”

A subset of homophones are sometimes called oronyms: “Homophones of multiple words or phrases (as sometimes seen in word games) are also known as "oronyms".”
A few examples taken from Wikipedia are:

• “"ice cream" vs. "I scream" (as in the popular song "I scream. You scream. We all scream for ice cream.")
• "euthanasia" vs. "Youth in Asia"
• "depend" vs. "deep end"
• "Gemini" vs. "Jim and I" vs. "Jem in eye"”

It appears Fenn may have used a few homophones or oronyms in his poem.

Examples taken from the poem are below:
• “alone in there” – alone in the air
• “why is it I must go and leave my” – Wyoming
• “where” – ware; “secret where” - silverware
• “hear me all” – Heimdallr
• “end is ever” – endeavor
• “drawing nigh” – drawing I or drawing eye
• “quest to cease” – quest two C’s/quest two seas
• “quickly” – quick-tree (an Old English name for aspen was cwicbeam, literally "quick-tree")
• “wise” – Y’s
• “they’ll be no” – del bano
• “paddle up your creek” – pad L/pedal upper creek
• “listen” – list N

It is also possible he spelled out CYCLING within the poem by using homophones (though unlikely).

Punctuation:

Punctuation in poetry can be used in a variety of ways. An image is attached below that shows the way Fenn breaks apart the poem with punctuation. Periods, commas, semi-colons, and blank punctuation (no punctuation) at the end of a line can serve to drastically alter a line’s meaning. “Enjambment, derived from the French word enjambment, means to step over, or put legs across. In poetry it means moving over from one line to another without a terminating punctuation mark. It can be defined as a thought or sense, phrase or clause, in a line of poetry that does not come to an end at the line break, but moves over to the next line. In simple words, it is the running on of a sense from one couplet or line to the next without a major pause or syntactical break.” Some features of enjambment are:

• “It is a running on of a thought from one line to another without final punctuation.
• It is used in poetry to trick a reader. Poets lead their readers to think of an idea, then move on the next line, giving an idea that conflicts with it.”

There are four lines that do not end with punctuation. The lines are:

• “As I have gone alone in there”
• “Begin it where warm waters halt”
• “So why is it I must go”
• “If you are brave an in the wood”

The first and third line above are related to one another and the second and fourth lines appear to be related to one another. Focusing on the first and third lines, both lines are speaking to Fenn going alone somewhere. As shown for the third line, “why is it I must go” is a near homophone for Wyoming. Likewise, the first line also appears a homophone and verifying the third line – “why...go” “alone.” He answers because he has done it tired and now he is weak.

The second line appears more ambiguous and tougher to understand, but if we are supposed to understand that it is related to the fourth line (similarly to the first and third lines above) then we would know that “warm waters halt” “in the wood.” Looking up synonyms of halt that mean “in the wood” results in “park” (verb meaning – “bring (a vehicle that one is driving) to a halt”; noun derived from parc – “"enclosed wood or heath land used as a game preserve"). It appears the linking of these sentences is no coincidence.

Combining the information from the non-punctuated lines results in “Park” and “Wyoming”. This can mean a number of things: the beginning point is Park County, Wyoming; the beginning point is Park County (MT or WY) and the chest is in Wyoming; the starting point is a National Park in Wyoming; etc. The enjambment of, “So why is it that I must go And leave my trove for all to seek?” with no punctuation separating the lines seems to suggest that the trove is hidden in Wyoming. Lines that begin with a capitalized, “And” link a singular idea between lines and Fenn uses no terminal punctuation prior to such lines. To check if Park County, WY or a Park in Wyoming is the starting point, it’d be wise to go back to the beginning of the poem.

At the beginning of the poem, prior to the clues coming into play, it appears the enjambment of, “As I have gone alone in there And with my treasures bold,” is referring to the two nicknames of Montana: Big Sky Country (alone in “the air” from the homophones section) and, the capitalized, The Treasure State (“treasures bold”). “Warm” waters or “W” waters should help narrow this down further along with the existence of a suitable canyon and give the actual starting point defined by the clues. If the hints derived from nouns seen in the chremamorphism section are correct, it shouldn’t be too difficult to find the correct starting point.

After looking at the parts of the poem without punctuation, there are commas, semi-colons, and periods. Commas “set off non-restrictive modifiers” that add “information that is not essential to our understanding the sentence.” They can be removed and the sentence should still stand on its own. Semi-colons are “most commonly used to link two independent clauses that are closely related in thought.” Periods are “placed at the end of a declarative sentence to indicate a full stop.” “One of the most powerful tools in any reader’s arsenal is the pause. Where do pauses occur in a poem? Wherever you see a powerful moment. Such moments include any punctuated pause, including dashes, commas, semicolons, or periods. Poets use punctuation as carefully and meaningfully as they use any other part of language; it’s always powerful.”

Armed with the above knowledge, and starting with the first stanza, Montana’s nicknames were already discovered in the first two lines using a homonym and logical deduction. The first line is followed by a comma, comma, and period in lines 2, 3, and 4 respectively. We showed how the enjambment between lines 1 and 2 showed a continuation of a single idea, Montana’s nicknames, and it is likely that lines 3 and 4 are linked to Montana, but the commas indicate the lines are non-restrictive (not necessarily needed). It appears that lines 3 and 4 are describing Montana’s motto “oro y plata” which is translated to “Gold and Silver.” Line 3 may be referring to a specific place within Montana or it may be describing, via homophone, the “ware”s (riches – natural resources) of Montana. It is tough to leave out any other information that links the lines to Montana (and thus no knowledge/research needed requirement), but that information is included below just as an addendum:

• Gold and silver have been used as currency since the fourth millennium BCE (old vs. riches new of the chest)
• Silver mining (“secret where” -> silver ware) was a major industry in Montana in the 1800’s - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana_Silver_Mining
• Girl Scouts song “Make New Friends” – “Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver, the other is gold” may help link the lines.

Paradox:

“The term paradox is from the Greek word paradoxon, which means “contrary to expectations, existing belief, or perceived opinion.”

It is a statement that appears to be self-contradictory or silly, but which may include a latent truth. It is also used to illustrate an opinion or statement contrary to accepted traditional ideas. A paradox is often used to make a reader think over an idea in innovative way.”

Fenn appears to use a few paradoxes in his poem. They are:

• “Not far, but too far to walk”
• “The end is ever drawing nigh”
• “Your effort will be worth the cold”

“Not far, but too far” appears to be an inconsequential and ambiguous statement to be made if the intent is to give directions to somewhere. Fenn could have simply removed the line and wrote “drive” if that’s what was meant by the line. Most believe it means you will be driving. But, the line appears to be written ambiguously as a paradox to challenge the reader to come up with an innovative solution – using their imagination to come up with the answer. To drive would be the simple answer and it appears to be the wrong answer. The hidden truth is that not far isn't far at all. It may refer to a bridge crossing, crossing a street, or some other crossing.

https://imgur.com/PY4nud5

Nice post. Lots of effort and thought on your part. Thanks for sharing.
05-20-2018, 07:17 AM,
Yes, great write up rr. One question...how can ‘hint’ not make it on the list of ‘The hints appear to be’?
-.-..The keeper of the key
05-20-2018, 09:44 AM,
(05-19-2018, 09:01 PM)realistrealist Wrote:
(05-19-2018, 08:21 PM)question Wrote: Great job as always rr.

Smile

One of the things I don't quite get is "it."

If your effort/endeavor is "it" what is the effort being talked about?... just the walk/hike/travel?

I think the "it" in the second stanza just refers to the quest or the route you must follow to solve the poem. This can be done using a map or Google Earth.

For stanza 5, the "it" is a location that he (meaning the inanimate entity described in stanza one) must move to from his first position of stanza one. He is leaving his "trove" for all to "see K". He made this move "tired" and now he's weak. Now he is a "wee K" so his entity has changed from "going alone in there" to "I already K now".

First he said, "for all to see K," then, "the answer I already K now," and finally, "now I'm wee K."

It all points to a long thin image that can be seen on GE that looks like a "K". Fenn has repeatedly said that you have to THINK. That means more than just using your brain. It means to find the "thin K."

The location of the "thin K" is the key to solving the remainder of the poem.

Something else to think about..... None of the words in the poem that seem to refer to the treasure chest that he hid actually do refer to it. These words are "treasures bold", "hint of riches new and old", "leave my trove", and "I give you title to the gold."

On second thought these words could be used to refer to the actual treasure in a tangential way but to solve the poem clues they have a completely different meaning.

Now, as to the words, "Your effort will be worth the cold," this is not referring to "it". And the you of "your" is not the searcher. The "you" is actually the entity of stanza one. The effort of that entity at this point in the poem must line up with (or be worth) the "cold." And the word cold has nothing to do with temperature. It's similar to the derivation of K from seek, know, and weak, as explained above.

I know I'm giving out a lot of information that I shouldn't but I doubt that it will help anyone find the final search area to which it applies because no one has even figured out the first clue yet as far as I know.
"Sometimes treasures are not gold, sometimes riches are not gold, sometimes a trove is not gold, and sometimes even gold is not gold."
05-20-2018, 10:21 AM,
(05-20-2018, 09:13 AM)Top Secret Wrote: Realistrealist,
Congratulations you are the first "poem purist" to actually discuss the clues in detail. lol

Lol Smile
-.-..The keeper of the key
05-20-2018, 12:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-20-2018, 01:38 PM by realistrealist.)
(05-20-2018, 07:17 AM)fundamental design Wrote: Yes, great write up rr. One question...how can ‘hint’ not make it on the list of ‘The hints appear to be’?

hm? Thanks Smile

Just updated list btw: https://imgur.com/a/TAwETWl

Just came up with a few additions I hadn't thought of before. NFBTFTW = a stone's throw away or... pebble. Slough is "a situation characterized by lack of progress or activity" so you are "ever" drawing nigh. "Specimen" = look and "ridge" = from hilltop.

One of the issues is the locations appear out of order in the middle. I'm not sure that matters as I think there's a second underlying map that I'm not seeing. Perhaps you have to "cross the lines" after getting to Lamar Ranger Station. Methinks you approach backwards from Tower Junction towards Lamar Ranger Station.

Interesting, but too far, Jasper is, "Said by Klein to be of Persian origin and meaning literally "treasure-holder.""
05-20-2018, 02:35 PM,
Poem Purist Perspective
The issue I have with poem purism is that a "comprehensive knowledge of geography might help." Either everything you need is the poem, or a comprehensive knowledge of geography might help. There's a big information gap there.

razyfamily
05-20-2018, 02:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-20-2018, 09:12 PM by realistrealist.)
(05-20-2018, 02:35 PM)crazyfamily Wrote: The issue I have with poem purism is that a "comprehensive knowledge of geography might help." Either everything you need is the poem, or a comprehensive knowledge of geography might help. There's a big information gap there.

razyfamily

It may be a hint regarding the pure number of hints/locations within the region described by the poem. Comprehensive is defined as "complete; including all or nearly all elements or aspects of something." If I completely know of all the geographic spots on the actual map and within the poem, it might help me deduce the treasure's location.

Or it can simply be knowledge of geographic terms: canyon, waters, ridge, riches, ore, etc.

Now wondering if the key is Rainy Lake - sure people have been there though. I've never found anything appealing to that area.

The meaning of up a creek without a paddle matches the meaning of rainy day better than lost. There will be no paddle up your creek because you'll be at a lake. Heavy loads would refer to getting wet or the chest? And water high would be referring to rain. References to the chest being wet would be a hint towards rain. It is also right alongside the road. But the directions wouldn't lead within 12 feet of anything there.

Can "effort worth the cold" be linked to "no paddle...just heavy loads and water high" and provide more meaning - cold rainy day? Probably a reach Smile

Edit: Just for fun - if the semi-colon is helping to create an "X" mark by separating the two lines that are intrinsically connected.

https://imgur.com/a/38FPTLJ
05-20-2018, 08:47 PM,
Great write up! Thanks for taking the time to put that all down...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Perspective EnigmaticThree 0 439 07-11-2017, 04:17 PM
Last Post: EnigmaticThree
  Are you a purist, or a hypocrit? Tony 38 18,300 01-09-2016, 05:15 PM
Last Post: Tony