Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Poem Purist Perspective
05-27-2018, 07:47 AM,
Poem Purist Perspective
(05-26-2018, 06:36 PM)realistrealist Wrote: 1. WWWH - Warm Creek, Park County
• Park defined as "bring to a halt and leave temporarily"
• Creek synonymous with waters
• “It” is Beartooth Highway

2. Canyon down - Ice Box Canyon (Fenn said to get back inside the box)
• The idea here appears to be down = colder (dense cold air descends)
• Box defined as "put in or provide with a box" - take it in the box

3. Not far, but too far to walk - Pebble Creek (Fenn said he wanted to be a golfer)
• The idea here appears to be the idiom "a stone's throw away"
• Stone's throw away defined as short distance; a relatively short distance. Example: John saw Mary across the street, just a stone's throw away. Philadelphia is just a stone's throw away from Camden, New Jersey.
• Pebble defined as "a small stone made smooth and round by the action of water or sand"

4. Put in below the home of Brown - Lamar Ranger Station
• Station is defined as "put in or assign to a specified place for a particular purpose, especially a military one"
• Ranger is defined as "a mounted soldier"
• Lamar Ranger station is the former home of Gary Brown
• Lamar Ranger station is the first ranger station you'd encounter below the home of Mt. Brown (Montana)

5. From there it's no place for the meek - Tower Junction
• Junction is defined as "a point where two or more things are joined"
• From is defined as "indicating the point in space at which a journey, motion, or action starts"
• Meek is defined as "quiet, gentle, and easily imposed on; submissive"
• Tower is defined as "a place of defense; a protection"
• Tower is no place for the meek

6. The end is ever drawing nigh - Slough Creek
• Ever is defined as "at any time; always"
• Slough is defined as "a situation characterized by lack of progress or activity"
• If you're always ("ever") approaching the end, you're barely making any progress – Zeno paradox

7. There’ll be no paddle up your creek - Rainy Lake
• Up the creek without a paddle means "be in severe difficulty or trouble, especially with no means of extricating oneself from it"
• A rainy day is "a time of need or trouble"
• Lost (Lake/Creek) is defined as "unable to find one's way; not knowing one's whereabouts"
• Believe the correct clue here is referring to Rainy Lake as it leads to Junction Butte

8. Just heavy loads and water high - Buffalo Ford (Skippy’s Ford Model A crashed in stream as a result of a Buffalo)
• Buffalo is defined as "a heavily built wild ox with backswept horns"
• Ford is defined as "a shallow place in a river or stream allowing one to walk or drive across"
• Need waders to fly fish in the waters at Buffalo Ford

9. If you’ve been wise and found the blaze - X marks the spot - likely a large stone/beneath tree in the area - Junction Butte - Specimen Road Pull-off (Fenn said hoB would lead straight to the treasure) – stanza is pointing out all the landmarks you can see from the Butte
• Wise hinting at "drawing" the right conclusions and "drawing" the map
• Found has a few definitions, one of which is "to set up or establish on a firm basis or for enduring existence; to lay the lowest part of (a structure) on a firm base or ground" with synonyms "construct, create, erect, establish, form, initiate, launch, organize, plant, raise, settle"
• The idea here is that you are drawing the blaze from what you've learned
• Chest potentially located between blaze and Specimen pull-off
• Have views of Nymph Spring (marvel gaze), Specimen Ridge (look, “quest to” = cuesta), Frederick Peak (go in peace), Calcite Spring (wise/blaze – metamorphic rock), Specimen Trail Pull-Off (look quickly down)

For anyone that still thinks it's not in Yellowstone, I have to wonder why. It's very likely Stephanie searched Buffalo Ford years ago and walked right by it; just as many others have. Many have searched Pebble Creek, Icebox Canyon, and Slough Creek. It was just never fully put together (it still may not be completely - didn't link the Just/So's into the solve).

https://imgur.com/a/TAwETWl
https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/F...t/ASDXASDZ

What are housed in nature museums? https://www.dmns.org/science/integrative...llections/

Aside from being in YNP, this solution is all based on the Lamar Ranger Station being hoB. I looked at your map and there is nothing contiguous about the last few clues. They're just scattered about. If they all fell along your "IT" it might be a little more convincing.

And while the poem may be straightforward, the book, TTOTC, is wrought with subterfuge, IMO.

razyfamily
05-27-2018, 07:57 AM,
RE: Poem Purist Perspective
Great work, but...ummmm...wrong. But, hey, please stay in YNP!
05-27-2018, 10:12 AM,
(05-26-2018, 06:36 PM)realistrealist Wrote: 1. WWWH - Warm Creek, Park County
• Park defined as "bring to a halt and leave temporarily"
• Creek synonymous with waters
• “It” is Beartooth Highway

2. Canyon down - Ice Box Canyon (Fenn said to get back inside the box)
• The idea here appears to be down = colder (dense cold air descends)
• Box defined as "put in or provide with a box" - take it in the box

3. Not far, but too far to walk - Pebble Creek (Fenn said he wanted to be a golfer)
• The idea here appears to be the idiom "a stone's throw away"
• Stone's throw away defined as short distance; a relatively short distance. Example: John saw Mary across the street, just a stone's throw away. Philadelphia is just a stone's throw away from Camden, New Jersey.
• Pebble defined as "a small stone made smooth and round by the action of water or sand"

4. Put in below the home of Brown - Lamar Ranger Station
• Station is defined as "put in or assign to a specified place for a particular purpose, especially a military one"
• Ranger is defined as "a mounted soldier"
• Lamar Ranger station is the former home of Gary Brown
• Lamar Ranger station is the first ranger station you'd encounter below the home of Mt. Brown (Montana)

5. From there it's no place for the meek - Tower Junction
• Junction is defined as "a point where two or more things are joined"
• From is defined as "indicating the point in space at which a journey, motion, or action starts"
• Meek is defined as "quiet, gentle, and easily imposed on; submissive"
• Tower is defined as "a place of defense; a protection"
• Tower is no place for the meek

6. The end is ever drawing nigh - Slough Creek
• Ever is defined as "at any time; always"
• Slough is defined as "a situation characterized by lack of progress or activity"
• If you're always ("ever") approaching the end, you're barely making any progress – Zeno paradox

7. There’ll be no paddle up your creek - Rainy Lake
• Up the creek without a paddle means "be in severe difficulty or trouble, especially with no means of extricating oneself from it"
• A rainy day is "a time of need or trouble"
• Lost (Lake/Creek) is defined as "unable to find one's way; not knowing one's whereabouts"
• Believe the correct clue here is referring to Rainy Lake as it leads to Junction Butte

8. Just heavy loads and water high - Buffalo Ford (Skippy’s Ford Model A crashed in stream as a result of a Buffalo)
• Buffalo is defined as "a heavily built wild ox with backswept horns"
• Ford is defined as "a shallow place in a river or stream allowing one to walk or drive across"
• Need waders to fly fish in the waters at Buffalo Ford

9. If you’ve been wise and found the blaze - X marks the spot - likely a large stone/beneath tree in the area - Junction Butte - Specimen Road Pull-off (Fenn said hoB would lead straight to the treasure) – stanza is pointing out all the landmarks you can see from the Butte
• Wise hinting at "drawing" the right conclusions and "drawing" the map
• Found has a few definitions, one of which is "to set up or establish on a firm basis or for enduring existence; to lay the lowest part of (a structure) on a firm base or ground" with synonyms "construct, create, erect, establish, form, initiate, launch, organize, plant, raise, settle"
• The idea here is that you are drawing the blaze from what you've learned
• Chest potentially located between blaze and Specimen pull-off
• Have views of Nymph Spring (marvel gaze), Specimen Ridge (look, “quest to” = cuesta), Frederick Peak (go in peace), Calcite Spring (wise/blaze – metamorphic rock), Specimen Trail Pull-Off (look quickly down)

For anyone that still thinks it's not in Yellowstone, I have to wonder why. It's very likely Stephanie searched Buffalo Ford years ago and walked right by it; just as many others have. Many have searched Pebble Creek, Icebox Canyon, and Slough Creek. It was just never fully put together (it still may not be completely - didn't link the Just/So's into the solve).

https://imgur.com/a/TAwETWl
https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/F...t/ASDXASDZ

What are housed in nature museums? https://www.dmns.org/science/integrative...llections/

Realist-

Your thinking is mostly logical and thoroughly researched but you got off track at the blaze, IMO. You don't need to draw the blaze. It's already there and very obvious. Your drawing comes later.

And your solve stops way too soon. The chest isn't near the blaze. Fenn didn't write another 2 stanzas for entertainment. Every stanza, every line, is important in his directional solve. "Your quest to cease" does not refer to ending the search. IMO.

Fenn did not say hoB would lead straight to the treasure. He said it more like, "If you find the hoB you could go RIGHT to the treasure." (or something similar to that.) This only means that arriving at hoB you could turn RIGHT and go to the treasure. But the treasure is still miles away from the hoB.

The treasure is not in Yellowstone either, IMO. But don't give up. It's out there. But even when you have all the clues solved, it will not be easy to find the chest.
"Sometimes treasures are not gold, sometimes riches are not gold, sometimes a trove is not gold, and sometimes even gold is not gold."
05-27-2018, 12:40 PM,
Poem Purist Perspective
(05-27-2018, 11:59 AM)realistrealist Wrote: I can't help people that want to believe in their own ideas so vehemently... I'm not trying to be mean, but I've given you most of the answer and you still don't believe it (I'm reasonably confident in it being correct). I've done as much as I can possibly do. I tried to get someone in Yellowstone to go for it and he didn't because he believed in his own crazy idea based on a blurry photo from 2010 of a rock in a creek (that would have been easily been swept away and violated "it's not under water). I even gave him incentive. The final stanzas marks his exit route from Wyoming through NE Yellowstone (title - Baronnette, in the wood - Woody Ridge, hear me all - the Thunderer, etc.) so yes it's useful.

So, lets make it objective and remove our individual bias. Forrest said that there is not a human trail in close proximity to the treasure. Then, he said that YNP is someplace where you should stay on trails. If you can't read that sign, I can't help.

Further, you are as guilty of believing in your own ideas so vehemently as the rest of us. That said, I have not read a single solution that can top ours in relevance to a) Forrest's life, b) the poem, c) hints from TTOTC, d) confirmation bias from the SB's.

Lastly, TTOTC gives enough hints about the general area where the chest is hidden to rule out other areas, and it isn't YNP.

razyfamily
05-27-2018, 12:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-27-2018, 01:14 PM by realistrealist.)
There is a trail going to Specimen, not to Junction.

He said "but" following that comment. The area is tame and not in the backcountry. I doubt you'd be mauled by a bear within 500 feet of a car unless you were...

True, however, it's pretty obvious based on his comments what some of the answers are.

The most important literature to Fenn is Osborne Russell. Where did Russell wish he could stay for the remainder of his life?

Specimen -> nature museum
Your car -> Fenn's car

I'm done, so no need to worry about me messing with your and brubr's NM solves.
05-27-2018, 01:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-30-2018, 09:29 PM by realistrealist.)
(05-27-2018, 01:41 PM)question Wrote:
(05-27-2018, 12:45 PM)realistrealist Wrote: There is a trail going to Specimen, not to Junction.

He said "but" following that comment. The area is tame and not in the backcountry. I doubt you'd be mauled by a bear within 500 feet of a car unless you were...

True, however, it's pretty obvious based on his comments what some of the answers are.

The most important literature to Fenn is Osborne Russell. Where did Russell wish he could stay for the remainder of his life?

Your car -> Fenn's car

Hey rr, meek could also mean petrified, e.g., "no place for the meek" or no place for the petrified. But I'm with you, no doubt that it is somewhere near Lamar Valley.

Grazie question, and you're right.

It's a question of if "from there" is independent of "no place for the meek."

If it is independent you are correct, "from there" is defining Junction Butte and all of the other clues are creating the X. I believe the semi-colon tells you it's Tower Junction as each line represents one point and "from there" is simply "Junction" + from hoB (representing the clue and the clue in relation to the previous clue). There are many possibilities, but only 3 or so of them make sense with "look quickly down" to Specimen parking and are an area that an 80-year old could get with ease under 3 total miles for two trips.
05-27-2018, 02:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-27-2018, 02:11 PM by realistrealist.)
(05-27-2018, 01:54 PM)question Wrote:
(05-27-2018, 01:46 PM)realistrealist Wrote:
(05-27-2018, 01:41 PM)question Wrote:
(05-27-2018, 12:45 PM)realistrealist Wrote: There is a trail going to Specimen, not to Junction.

Your car -> Fenn's car

Hey rr, meek could also mean petrified, e.g., "no place for the meek" or no place for the petrified. But I'm with you, no doubt that it is somewhere near Lamar Valley.

Grazie question, and you're right.

It's a question of if "from there" is independent of "no place for the meek."

If it is independent you are correct, "from there" is defining Junction Butte and all of the other clues are creating the X.

Did you also consider that your solution is on a tangent just off the Grand Loop?

Nah, didn't think of that. I don't think you can draw a definitive answer for a single spot going that route if I see where you are going with it. You need a spot to stop at, and the final 3 lines to the blaze don't accomplish anything definitive there. The Zeno paradox appears to be the idea he is going for - "ever" makes more sense for the paradox than the grand loop as the trip, to that point, doesn't use the grand loop. The found during the summer thing does bug me a bit though.

The key is an end location at Junction Butte.

No need to dig up an old outhouse - butt vs. Butte
Wear two pairs of underwear in case of an accident - butt
Slid down leaving brown stain on pants - butt
"It reminds me of a story. About 23 years ago when my oldest granddaughter was young I told her that if I put a key in her belly button and turned it, her pants would fall off." - revealing her butt
"Over the last few thousand years several hundred nature-toughened Indians had rested their butts on the very rock upon which I sat. I just knew it. Can you imagine how that made me feel?"
05-28-2018, 07:38 AM,
(05-27-2018, 02:00 PM)realistrealist Wrote: No need to dig up an old outhouse - butt vs. Butte
"It reminds me of a story. About 23 years ago when my oldest granddaughter was young I told her that if I put a key in her belly button and turned it, her pants would fall off." - revealing her butt
"Over the last few thousand years several hundred nature-toughened Indians had rested their butts on the very rock upon which I sat. I just knew it. Can you imagine how that made me feel?"

None of this is in the poem so doesn’t pass the poem purist perspective.
I think that will do the trick!
05-28-2018, 11:55 AM,
(05-28-2018, 07:38 AM)fundamental design Wrote:
(05-27-2018, 02:00 PM)realistrealist Wrote: No need to dig up an old outhouse - butt vs. Butte

None of this is in the poem so doesn’t pass the poem purist perspective.

lol, I don't feel like creating a separate thread FD.
05-28-2018, 01:48 PM,
^ lol. Ok, didn’t know.
I think that will do the trick!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Perspective EnigmaticThree 0 473 07-11-2017, 04:17 PM
Last Post: EnigmaticThree
  Are you a purist, or a hypocrit? Tony 38 19,165 01-09-2016, 05:15 PM
Last Post: Tony