Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Original photo of the chest from a book
07-11-2018, 06:31 PM,
RE: Original photo of the chest from a book
The Loomis article has a black & white photograph of the vividly painted polychrome wood chest, or casket. It is not bronze. As noted, it is early 14th century, the Trecento. Forrest claimed that his chest was of earlier make.

Also as noted in the article, the "nuns" are above and are being pursued by youths on ladders; young men. They are not the "women" on ladders that Forrest has referred to when speaking about the chest.

There are accurate color photographs available of this exact picture, and also the front side of the chest, with a detailed explanation of the allegory on the casket explained in Fraktur German, which I have translated. These materials are not available on the web, at least the last time I checked. If you want to search, knock yourself out. But you will likely need to go to the original paper source.

Forrest's chest is a virtual copy of this chest in bronze, but with different components, such as the hinges, lock, and fancy animal hasp, and a few other details.

One of the frequent and often interesting Chasechatters has also utilized these drawings to recreate an actual bronze chest copy. I'm sure most of you recall all of the information and photographs he provided of the process.

In his post above Decall has raised questions that may be correct, or partially so. Forrest's chest might be an older version of this one, but I do not believe this, based upon my research and examination of the construction of Forrest's bronze chest.

I posed these questions to Forrest, provided color pictures, and my analysis and translation to Forrest some time ago for his bemusement...

Halogetter
07-11-2018, 06:45 PM,
Did he respond?
07-12-2018, 06:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-12-2018, 06:29 AM by astree.)
(07-11-2018, 06:31 PM)Halogetter Wrote: The Loomis article has a black & white photograph of the vividly painted polychrome wood chest, or casket. It is not bronze. As noted, it is early 14th century, the Trecento. Forrest claimed that his chest was of earlier make.

The relief theme of Forrests treasure chest, and the casket (and other objects mentioned in the Loomis article) are similar, but def not the same, agreed. I am not quite sure what the central point this thread is exploring.

By the way, check out this recent Forbes article quote

“The chest itself is rare, 16th century Italian.'” (because its easy to mix up 3 and 6, and Romanesque with Italian... wonder if Forrest put the reporter onto this)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/margiegolds...62c0bf39ac

Quote:There are accurate color photographs available of this exact picture, and also the front side of the chest, with a detailed explanation of the allegory on the casket explained in Fraktur German, which I have translated. These materials are not available on the web, at least the last time I checked. If you want to search, knock yourself out. But you will likely need to go to the original paper source.

Would you care to reveal any more about how you found the original material that is probably not on the web? Interesting.
=====

https://www.allmovie.com/movie/v46056

“Poetry is the art of saying what you mean but disguising it”

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  original drawing of 3 Gypsies on Pg 43 in TToTC mdc777 6 935 08-21-2018, 01:59 AM
Last Post: mdc777
  Photo of Forrest in vault with chest astree 5 1,639 04-06-2018, 06:30 AM
Last Post: astree
  Chest with Fake Bottom (the publicity photo) astree 0 699 02-10-2018, 08:29 AM
Last Post: astree
  Zip code post marks on the picture ot the treasure chest in the book of the TTOTC. mike marcum 0 620 11-08-2017, 04:21 PM
Last Post: mike marcum
  If Fenn went with the original plan Hammertime 6 2,367 11-27-2016, 03:28 PM
Last Post: Hammertime
  a photo of the chest? decall 32 14,813 10-25-2016, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Umbra