Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proposal To Mr. Fenn Thoughts...
09-16-2018, 11:12 PM,
So, I've been thinking.

What would be the drawback to Mr. Fenn letting everyone know when each summer is over that no one or possibly someone, to his knowledge, was or wasn't within X number of feet from the treasure chest each summer (summer being the accepted start and end of summer)? It could be called something like, "The State of the Chase."

To keep it from having him have to read lengthy emails, you could just have the searcher email him where they looked with the GPS coordinates in the subject line and attach a picture of them at the particular spot they were at.

This way searchers spending a ton of time and money on one particular spot can know they need to move onto somewhere else or even possibly lock in.

I'm sure there's a bunch of holes to this suggestion, but what do y'all think?

Thanks,

MM
Have you ever solved a $50,000 arm chair treasure hunt, went to the exact spot it was at in Hot Springs, Arkansas to retrieve it, look at the exact rock it was under, and then decide to instead walk over it on two different occasions? Well, I have.
09-17-2018, 12:49 AM,
RE: Proposal To Mr. Fenn Thoughts...
If he says someone is close, then too many people may think they are close and spend more money and time on a fruitless search (because they are not the one who was close). Too easy to interpret his comment as confirmational bias.

If he says no one is closer than 200 feet, it still won't save very many people money or time. 200 feet is probably within most people's target range.

It invites an individual or group to make up multiple submissions under different persona to blanket an area and gain unfair advantage knowing the chest is or isn't in that area.

It's a waste of his time, unless he is looking for a way to end it.
09-17-2018, 07:23 AM,
Forrest thinks he's already said too much. Remember, he's ambivalent about someone finding the chest.

razyfamily
09-17-2018, 08:41 AM,
Thanks for the responses and fair enough. 

I just heard the story on Toby's call-in show last Friday about the guy who had put over 300,000 miles on his truck going to look for the chest and was just trying to figure out a way to possibly help someone like him (if he's not remotely close) w/out helping others who are really close.

MM
Have you ever solved a $50,000 arm chair treasure hunt, went to the exact spot it was at in Hot Springs, Arkansas to retrieve it, look at the exact rock it was under, and then decide to instead walk over it on two different occasions? Well, I have.
09-17-2018, 09:29 AM,
(09-17-2018, 08:41 AM)minotaur_moreno Wrote: Thanks for the responses and fair enough. 

I just heard the story on Toby's call-in show last Friday about the guy who had put over 300,000 miles on his truck going to look for the chest and was just trying to figure out a way to possibly help someone like him (if he's not remotely close) w/out helping others who are really close.

MM

Ah yes, the old road to .... is paved with good intentions. Our best bet is to find the chest and end this.
09-17-2018, 06:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-17-2018, 06:38 PM by TheLastCrusade.)
He knows the spot well enough that he doesn't need corridenates to recognize distance.

That's what other indications are for.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your thoughts on how Fenn knows it is still there. Tony 23 8,175 02-11-2016, 02:39 PM
Last Post: LostFound
  A Modest Proposal tomwhat 12 3,527 07-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Last Post: tomwhat