Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Word that is key...
11-02-2018, 06:50 AM,
Word that is key...
I once had an opportunity to sit in on an interview of a former US Diplomat. By the time he had retired, in the early 1970s, he had visited nearly every country in the world.

During this interview, he was asked, "With all your experiences - the places you've been, the people you've met and the things you've done - what one thing would you want all people to experience?"

His answer: "Empathy."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathy

Peace,

Inohury
11-02-2018, 08:06 AM,
RE: Word that is key...
What a wise Diplomat. You were lucky. Can you tell us who that was? Nelson Mandela? definitely a Key word.
11-02-2018, 08:14 AM,
There's no empathy when you're trying to create a legacy at all costs.
11-02-2018, 08:29 AM,
(11-02-2018, 06:50 AM)inohury Wrote: I once had an opportunity to sit in on an interview of a former US Diplomat. By the time he had retired, in the early 1970s, he had visited nearly every country in the world.

During this interview, he was asked, "With all your experiences - the places you've been, the people you've met and the things you've done - what one thing would you want all people to experience?"

Peace,

Inohury

Most people are 60% self absorbed, caring about family 30%, and empathy for others only 10%. Empathy is learned and unfortunately few people are teaching this to their children these days. It is why when looking to one’s motivation for doing anything as the wise John Locke said look no further than self-interest.
11-02-2018, 09:00 AM,
(11-02-2018, 08:06 AM)5GIRLS Wrote: What a wise Diplomat. You were lucky. Can you tell us who that was? Nelson Mandela? definitely a Key word.

Not Nelson Mandela.

This gentleman served in the military and as a correspondent and information officer before retiring. He went on to lead a relatively quiet life, important to him and his family. Out of respect for his surviving family members, I will keep his name anonymous.

Oftentimes, during such gatherings, when a question is posed to an individual, for a moment - as the words that form the question linger while the individual composes his/her thoughtful answer - others hearing the question will consider their own answer.

In this instance, this man's response was so quickly stated that there was no lingering; no pause; no time to suppose one's own answer.

It was clear to me that this man had thought of this gift that all people should experience long before the question had ever been asked. His instantaneous response - decades in the making and crafted from his personal experiences with war, peace, poverty and privilege - was so simply put, so transcendent in the soulful, genuine delivery that somehow it left me with goose bumps, an internal feeling of warmth and the understanding of that very word as I felt I was experiencing it truly for the first time.

Peace,

Inohury
11-02-2018, 09:06 AM,
“If you can learn a simple trick, Scout, you’ll get along a lot better with all kinds of folks. You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view, until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.”
– Atticus Finch in To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
11-02-2018, 10:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-02-2018, 10:27 AM by inohury.)
(11-02-2018, 08:29 AM)Bet Wrote:
(11-02-2018, 06:50 AM)inohury Wrote: I once had an opportunity to sit in on an interview of a former US Diplomat. By the time he had retired, in the early 1970s, he had visited nearly every country in the world.

Peace,

Inohury

Most people are 60% self absorbed, caring about family 30%, and empathy for others only 10%. Empathy is learned and unfortunately few people are teaching this to their children these days. It is why when looking to one’s motivation for doing anything as the wise John Locke said look no further than self-interest.

With empathy, one can better understand and discern another's self-interests.

(11-02-2018, 08:14 AM)question Wrote: There's no empathy when you're trying to create a legacy at all costs.

Some might argue that to be the most important time to have empathy.

Peace,

Inohury
11-02-2018, 01:34 PM,
(11-02-2018, 09:06 AM)Beavertooth Wrote: “If you can learn a simple trick, Scout, you’ll get along a lot better with all kinds of folks. You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view, until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.”
– Atticus Finch in To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Truth.
11-03-2018, 12:19 AM,

Peace,

Inohury

inohury, what "Word that is key" do you want us to consider?
11-04-2018, 08:58 AM,
(11-03-2018, 12:19 AM)Andrew Jef Wrote:

Peace,

Inohury

inohury, what "Word that is key" do you want us to consider?

The one that is most obvious.

Peace,

Inohury