Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gypsy Magic
03-10-2014, 11:02 AM,
Gypsy Magic
"about a half-mile from our house" TTOTC p42

http://www.katyrailroad.org/map.htm
03-10-2014, 12:49 PM,
Gypsy Magic

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Buddy Allen on March 10, 2014, 12:02 pm</b>

about a half-mile from our house

http://www.katyrailroad.org/map.htm
</div>

That's a lot of TRACK a half-mile from your house...

Have you seen the Trains in New Mexico, DOUBLE-DECKER HIGH, and traveling on TWO DIFFERENT TRACKS one going in EACH DIRECTION at the SAME TIME.

I don't know how the TRUCKERS "in New Mexico" stay in BUSINESS...

03-10-2014, 02:42 PM,
Gypsy Magic
No place on the old KATY is over 5000' ( unless it's in Kansas Smile )

Plenty of places trains don't go or don't have facilities to offload containers, plus domestically produced stuff. Judging by the driver wanted ads (not to mention truck traffic on the highways), there's plenty of loads available.
03-10-2014, 02:50 PM,
Gypsy Magic

<b>Quote from old drum on March 10, 2014, 3:42 pm</b>

No place on the old KATY is over 5000' ( unless it's in Kansas Smile )

Plenty of places trains don't go or don't have facilities to offload containers, plus domestically produced stuff. Judging by the driver wanted ads (not to mention truck traffic on the highways), there's plenty of loads available.
</div>

No doubt, but how much of it is ONLOAD & OFFLOAD INFRASTRUCTURE, or NOT knowing how to SCHEDULE a LOAD... ?

My UNCLE was a CONDUCTOR on a RAILROAD just before they did away with CABOOSES... he was busier than any Truck Driver, and the LOCOMOTIVE never sat in the YARD overnight... like trucks & truckers do at Truck Stops...

If you have a big enough VOLUME of LOADS, the RAILROAD will ACCOMODATE you with the proper ONLOAD & OFFLOAD INFRASTRUCTURE, "that's what they do" Big Grin

03-10-2014, 03:07 PM,
Gypsy Magic
Truck Drivers are only allowed 10 hrs of driving a day and mandatory time down. Trains run almost constant but switch out conductors to do so. Kinda hard for an over the road trucker do do this. But that is why most have two log books.
03-10-2014, 03:23 PM,
Gypsy Magic

<b>Quote from Seeker on March 10, 2014, 4:07 pm</b>

Truck Drivers are only allowed 10 hrs of driving a day and mandatory time down. Trains run almost constant but switch out conductors to do so. Kinda hard for an over the road trucker do do this. But that is why most have two log books.
</div>

Exactly, trucking companies will put the public at risk with fatigued drivers... ( the trucking companies have GPS on their trucks and know exactly where they are at, and how long they've been on the road for any given time period... )

I was sitting a booth next to 3 State Troopers on break, and they were talking about those LOG BOOKs you speak of... one Trooper recounted saying to the trucker, <b>man, this doesn't even make sense...</b>

Trucks are very in-efficient, especially when their route is right next to a railroad for the entire journey...

The TIME is coming, when truckers will have to present COMPUTERIZED printouts of their GPS... no second set of "cooking the books" on that...

03-10-2014, 03:50 PM,
Gypsy Magic
Wanna hear something really messed up? My husband works for the state of illinois and the way his hours work in the winter is he goes back and forth from days to nights every other week. So if it snows, he can work a 12 hour shift, but if it falls on a weekend when the change over happens he can work from 12 noon on a Sunday to 6:30am on Monday. Not only that, but if it starts just a little early they can actually call him in at say 10am....and he could be made to stay till like 8am....he's had to do that too and I've had to talk to him while he drove home to keep him away. That's a CDL position and the repetitive blinding white snow is mesmerizing sleepy he has said. So stay away from those snow plows...you have no idea how long they have been working....he was coming home from a long shift when he got into the accident too...
03-10-2014, 04:02 PM,
Gypsy Magic

Wow... talking to him to keep him awake... kudos to you Stephanie, you're a good wife.

03-10-2014, 04:11 PM,
Gypsy Magic
I have some of my best naps when driving..."if ya don't like my driving.. stay off the sidewalks" The major problem with Tractor Trailer driving is the lack of companies keeping up the rigs and trailers. Even Owner Operator hate having to pick up an unknown trailer never knowing the tires, breaks, light, load etc. Some have not been inspected in years. or fudge that they were.
03-10-2014, 04:20 PM,
Gypsy Magic
she caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.