Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Important Literature - TIME magazine?
03-11-2014, 03:47 PM,
I attributed the Time magazine back to the epilogue where he was talking about himself and comparing to Eric Sloane. He said Eric had a policy of ignoring time itself.I thought he is recycling time. Which fits in with my solution.

Literature has everything to do with this.

Mdc, in my opinion you are on the right track.
03-11-2014, 03:57 PM,
I wouldn't call anything in his books clues (besides the poem and map excerpt), they're "subtle hints." That's some pretty interesting stuff that you actually looked at the <i>TIME</i> database and looked at which possible magazine was in the trash. An interesting coincidence, but does it really go with the treasure hunt or is it just a hint of how Mr. Fenn thinks of himself? Then again, we did use the word coincidence, so maybe it's just that. I wouldn't throw that information away, or the method you used to find that information.
03-11-2014, 05:09 PM,
ok then a subtle hint. He lists 3 important people Hemingway, Fitzgerald and Salinger right? Then he mentions the TIME magazine in the trash. Look up that Time magazine and Harrison Ford is in the people section. Look at the sections of the book store he bypasses.

Important people in time (history).

The entire chapter seems to be dealing with the hiding of the chest.

03-11-2014, 05:24 PM,
I believe he just wants you to discover different areas of literature, there are many books that could play into this. Tale of Two Cities, Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer, this list is endless. Just like the areas we can find that seem to match are endless. Charles Dickens, most of these I never read, but have now. I still like Gertrude Chandler Warner the best, the Boxcar Children. That was the books that got me interested in reading at a young age.
My life has a superb cast, but I just can't figure out the plot

http://www.totc.co
03-11-2014, 05:39 PM,
He read a third of the books and threw them in the trash. The point is not the books it's the treasure chest and how to find it.
03-11-2014, 06:54 PM,
There is a lot in the "important Literature" chapter. Before I gave up on the book and became a poem purist, I spent a lot of time chasing things that looked like clues, hints, whatever in that chapter. If there really are hints in TTOTC, there are probably some hiding in that chapter.

I never had a good theory for the Time Magazine thing, other than Forrest possibly making a metaphor about throwing away or wasting time. After all, Salinger had just died. Forrest was getting old and had just nearly died of cancer himself. If he was going to accomplish something big, he had better get a move on because he probably didn't have much time left.

The really interesting thing in that chapter in my mind was Forrest talking about reading For Whom The Bell Tolls, but describing the plot of A Farewell to Arms. I knew it wasn't accidental, so I thought it had to mean something. I did some research. One of the characters in FWTBT is named Pilar. Hemingway also named his boat Pilar. There's a Pilar in New Mexico. I looked around Pilar, and come up empty. Others have looked there and been skunked too. There are a few other interesting connections in the whole FWTBT/AFTA mashup that I haven't had a chance to fully explore. That may be a fruitful area for further research.

Then I figured maybe there was some important literature that Forrest was not talking about, but leaving in plain sight and expecting us to notice it. I mean of course the novel Too Far To Walk by John Hersey. So I got a copy and read it, and found that it was in some ways superficially similar to Catcher in the Rye, but not nearly as well written. In the end there was no connection that I could find to the chase. Also I really wished I hadn't wasted a couple of days of my spare time reading a really boring book.

I spent time looking into Kismet. I thought I found a few connections to places in the search area, but nothing ever panned out.

There is one other thing in that chapter that nobody seems to notice, or at least hardly ever gets mentioned. I noticed it, but paid it no mind for the longest time, thinking it was unimportant, just an offhand remark by Forrest. Then while working on the poem alone a while back I came across the same thing, and it became an important piece that that fit well into my current theory about the poem. So naturally I can't talk about it here.

mdavis19
03-11-2014, 08:53 PM,
I attributed the Time magazine back to the epilogue where he was talking about himself and comparing to Eric Sloane. He said Eric had a policy of ignoring time itself.I thought he is recycling time. Which fits in with my solution.

Literature has everything to do with this.

Mdc, in my opinion you are on the right track.
Shhh they aren't listening.
03-12-2014, 12:33 AM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Jason on March 11, 2014, 6:51 pm</b>

Maybe Fenn is trying to tell us that we only NEED 1/3 of the poem to solve the location of the chest..... Just throw the rest of it in the trash..........

But which 1/3?

EDIT: Or maybe we only need 1/3 of TTOTC to figure out the clues in the poem??
</div>

i think we need the whole poem to find the chest

the poem takes you on a journey, or a quest if you will. the quest has 3 parts. the beginning, the middle, and the end.

the book which Forrest said he read the first third, therein lies the clue, in that book

why did he read the first third and throw it away?

because the clue contained in the book, is pertaining only to the first third, aka the beginning

after that you throw it away, because the clue does not tell you anything about the 2nd third, or the final third of the quest

it may only be a clue about the beginning but it is indeed a HUGE clue. why? because it is a clue that is telling you something that probably only a handful of people currently know, because they figured it out

it is telling you where you start. and until you know that, everything else is running in air

i think at this point, anyone who does not yet understand the clue this book is referring to is unlikely to catch up

the rest of the puzzle is difficult once you know the place to start and there are people who already have been working on it for a long time, maybe over a year. the part of the puzzle after the start i mean.

03-12-2014, 05:12 AM,

<b>Quote from Jason on March 11, 2014, 6:51 pm</b>
<div class="bbcode_quote">
<b>Quote from mdc777 on March 11, 2014, 6:39 pm</b>

He read a third of the books and threw them in the trash. The point is not the books it's the treasure chest and how to find it.
</div>

Maybe Fenn is trying to tell us that we only NEED 1/3 of the poem to solve the location of the chest..... Just throw the rest of it in the trash..........

But which 1/3?

EDIT: Or maybe we only need 1/3 of TTOTC to figure out the clues in the poem??</div>
</div>

I don't think you really need any of TTOTC to to figure out the clues in the poem. Any hints hidden in the book probably make up far less than 1% of the total content. That's why they are so hard to find. They are totally lost in the crowd.

I do feel that the entire poem is needed to solve the puzzle. It would be hard to jam nine clues into only 1/3 of the poem. I think every stanza and every line in the poem is important.

mdavis19
03-12-2014, 05:52 AM,
I believe the discussion is about the chapter in the book, not about if you need the book?

He made this the first chapter for a reason. He loves books, history, storytelling. Those who are too intent on just finding locations are missing out on how it all ties together and his purpose which is part of the poem . Literature is a handing down of ideas through time, just as history is. Its all about the words and how they are related to history. If you dont believe that you really need to watch his last two interviews at the bookstore. Now why choose a book store to operate out of? Smile
Shhh they aren't listening.