Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Important Literature - TIME magazine?
03-12-2014, 02:36 PM,
<i>the subtle hint for where you start, referring to the book he read 1/3, it is not the kind of hint you try and solve it and you can figure out where you start

it is the kind of hint you will only recognize the nature of it after you have already solved where you start

to solve the what and where of the place you start, the clue is in the poem

as far as hints in the book becoming recognizable after you solve them, Forrest has made statements to this effect</i>

Chris are you saying where to start in the poem or the geographical location of WWWH?

After scouring this chapter it would seem to me that a woman in history is who we are looking for. Perhaps a female trailblazer of the Old West? I have been stuck on the Old Spanish Trail for a while now.

little girl at the counter.. cup all but covered her whole face. (I can't figure out what this is referring to)

little lady knew every book in the whle store, arrived at the exact spot.

her braids swungback and forth like they had purpose.

guys don't go to bookstores to much.

two borderline biddies - (why the tie in to the biddies chapter?)

03-12-2014, 03:23 PM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from mdc777 on March 12, 2014, 3:36 pm</b>

Chris are you saying where to start in the poem or the geographical location of WWWH?

</div>

ive seen someone ask this question before and i have a hard time answering a question which i dont understand where its coming from

how can where you start in solving the poem and where you start on the quest path the poem leads you on, how can these be different things?

if one thinks they can start by solving the poem from the middle to the end and skip the beginning, or if they think they can start by solving the end, and skip what came before, that sure would be nice, and it would mean you dont even need to figure out what the start is, because all we need to do ultimately is go to where the chest is at.

if we solve the poem path, of course we dont need to actually travel that path, we just need to go to the end spot. so solving the end or middle without the beginning would be fine, and we could make it easier and just go right to the end place if we could do that.

problem is, Forrest has made it clear it cant be solved that way. and what he is talking about has nothing to do with actually physically walking the journey, he is talking about SOLVING what the path is. to figure it out, you have to SOLVE what the start is, then you can solve the rest of clues in the poem from there.

So where you start in the quest path, and where you start in solving the poem, have to be the same. this is why i dont understand the question

if you start trying to solve clues in the poem that arent the beginning of the path, and you don't know yet what the beginning of the path is, then you are trying to do the impossible and you are trying to start solving the poem in the place you should't be starting to solve it.

I am just giving a general explanation and using 'you' in the general sense, this is not directed at anyone specific

if you don't know where to start, the clues that come after are impossible to solve. an understanding and observation of statements from Forrest tells us this.

so where do you start in the poem? begin it where warm waters halt, that is where you start. its where you start in the poem and also where you start on the path.

as you proceed from there, where you are at in the poem, and where you are at on the path, they are the same

so what comes next? you know you start at WWH, but you dont know what that is or where. so the next part of the poem and the path is identifying this place.

and take it in the canyon down .... does that tell you what WWH is? well to each their own, but in my opinion, no it doesn't. so the part of the poem that comes next in the solve is ... ya, well thats just the trick isn't it?

when you find out WWH, the next step in the poem would be, take it in the canyon down ...

but im getting ahead of myself. what is WWH? is it in stanza 1? 6? wherever it is, that would be the next place you go to in the poem.

and that place you go to in the poem, it is the same place you are at in the quest path. they are and will be the same throughout
03-12-2014, 04:10 PM,
I dont believe you need to read all the books in the literature section, just have a basic understanding of what they are about. Recently Forrest said look at the abberations, the oddities, the things that struck you as being out of place. If you havent done that then maybe you should.

While I am at it, my solve starts with the very first stanza. The location starts the second stanza. The purpose of the poem is tied to the location of the search. If you dont find the trail or blaze through the book you likely wont find the treasure. Its all connected. I know thats not a popular thought, but I believe its true. As always just another opinion amongst many.
Shhh they aren't listening.
03-12-2014, 04:36 PM,
Deb - I like the recycle Time theory

Chris - aren't you "messing" with his poem by solving it out of order?

The abberation in this chapter is he said WW1 when it is really about the Spanish Civil War, right?
03-12-2014, 04:46 PM,
Not to attempt to speak for Chris (I'm sure he'll answer), but I think what he is saying, and I would agree with this, is that the trail starts at WWH, but the solution to where or what WWH is may be found somewhere else in the poem. That is not going out of order, it is just using the whole poem to find the solution.
03-12-2014, 05:59 PM,
@Jack ... Yes, thats what im saying

<b>Quote from mdc777 on March 12, 2014, 5:36 pm</b>

Chris - aren't you "messing" with his poem by solving it out of order?

</div>

there seems to be a false presumption here.

how can one ask if it is 'messing' with the poem by solving it out of order if one doesn't know what the 'order' is to begin with

Forrest has told us where to start, but after that, i dont recall him ever telling us what order we are to go from there

to be clear, i think it can be concluded from statements from Forrest that there is an order to the clues, and they should be followed in order, but what is that order? he has not told us. that is up to us to figure out.

also "messing" with the poem, in the context that F used that turn of phrase, had to do with changing things in the poem, not the order in which you might jump around in the poem

<b>Quote from mdc777 on March 12, 2014, 5:36 pm</b>

The abberation in this chapter is he said WW1 when it is really about the Spanish Civil War, right?

</div>

not really. technically this is true, and that is the reason why F can say it with a dry wit

but the real aberration here is he said he was reading book X when really he was reading book Y

you dont have to read either of the books to understand what the hint is.

remember, when it comes to hints in the book, F has said they are 'subtle' and they are there 'if you can recognize them'.

he has never specifically characterized clues in the poem this way. there is a reason why the hints in the book are described as subtle and needing to be recognized

the reason is because you first have to solve the Clues in the poem, clues that are deliberately placed and will give identities to unknowns. this is not the case in the book. when the clues are solved, the hints in the book then become immediately recognizable.

if you solve the clue for WWH, you will not only recognize this hint in Important Literature, but several others in TTOTC.

the number of subtle hints in TTOTC is enormous. they are on every page, and usually not just one per page

if you get the right starting point, and you get on the right path, the book will start to take on an entirely different meaning, and will be telling you an entirely different story

03-12-2014, 06:05 PM,
And if you found the correct Brown.

Yes Mdc. That is correct.
Shhh they aren't listening.
03-12-2014, 06:58 PM,
All of this discussion of Important Literature made me see something that may be important. Although Forrest may have sprinkled his "subtle hints" throughout the book, it seems his most important hints may have been strategically placed in the beginning (Important Literature), the middle (MWFM beginning on p.73 of the 147 page book) and the end (Epilogue). That placement may be a clue in itself as to how to read the poem and thus where to find the things that are important in the book.
03-12-2014, 07:33 PM,
For me, it was very helpful to have read For Whom the Bell Tolls in its entirety.
03-12-2014, 07:34 PM,

<b>Quote from Jack on March 12, 2014, 5:46 pm</b>

Not to attempt to speak for Chris (I'm sure he'll answer), but I think what he is saying, and I would agree with this, is that the trail starts at WWH, but the solution to where or what WWH is may be found somewhere else in the poem. That is not going out of order, it is just using the whole poem to find the solution.
</div>

I actually don't remember the exact statement but was something like the 'clues' are in consecutive order. As much as I agree with you Jack and with Chris, I wounder if the reading of the poem is in order or just the answers to the clues.