Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Important Literature - TIME magazine?
03-12-2014, 08:07 PM,
I believe what he said was that the clues are contiguous. From Toby's "AGypsy'sKiss" -De-Archetecting Fenn's Treasure Poem:

"Again, during the event at Moby Dickens in Taos, Fenn said all the clues were contiguous.

The dictionary defines the word as “…being in actual contact : touching along a boundary or at a point…” But, in Fennspeak, that could mean one or more things. It could mean that it is possible to draw a line from the beginning to the end of the search on a map. Or, that in the field a following clue would be discovered after arriving at the previous clue.

Or, (and this is what I believe) that the clues are in contiguous lines in the poem." Note this is Toby's quote not my belief.

So it depends on how you interpret contiguous. I think it is wide open to interpretation. For instance, you could solve clues in order of 6,7,8,9,1,2,3,4,5 and they would be contiguous but not consecutive in order. That's just an example. Or the correct solution to each clue be physical locations that are physically contiguous to each other, no matter what order the clues appear in the poem. Just some ideas to keep in mind.

03-12-2014, 08:32 PM,
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before or not but the following may be of interest to the important literature discussion http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Generation

03-12-2014, 08:51 PM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Jack on March 12, 2014, 9:07 pm</b>

I believe what he said was that the clues are contiguous. From Toby's "AGypsy'sKiss" -De-Archetecting Fenn's Treasure Poem:

"Again, during the event at Moby Dickens in Taos, Fenn said all the clues were contiguous.

The dictionary defines the word as “…being in actual contact : touching along a boundary or at a point…” But, in Fennspeak, that could mean one or more things. It could mean that it is possible to draw a line from the beginning to the end of the search on a map. Or, that in the field a following clue would be discovered after arriving at the previous clue.

Or, (and this is what I believe) that the clues are in contiguous lines in the poem." Note this is Toby's quote not my belief.

So it depends on how you interpret contiguous. I think it is wide open to interpretation. For instance, you could solve clues in order of 6,7,8,9,1,2,3,4,5 and they would be contiguous but not consecutive in order. That's just an example. Or the correct solution to each clue be physical locations that are physically contiguous to each other, no matter what order the clues appear in the poem. Just some ideas to keep in mind.
</div>

I found Contiguous as: A common boundary or edge, adjacent; adjoining...A very close connection in space and time.

Interesting enough, that if the poem holds hints and the hints reveal the actual clues, then the hint and clues are ' very close connection in space and time or a common boundary. So the poem "contains" nine clues.. but the poem itself, tells a reader It will give hint, then it's possible [ thinking in this manner ] that the clues are in contiguous after one solve the hints which may not be in order. But that is just a thought.
03-13-2014, 03:54 AM,
He has also said the poem is "straight forward". Smile I do love the way Forrest uses words.
Shhh they aren't listening.
03-13-2014, 04:02 AM,
Thanks BCO. Smile
Shhh they aren't listening.
03-13-2014, 04:53 AM,

<b>Quote from Jack on March 12, 2014, 7:58 pm</b>

All of this discussion of Important Literature made me see something that may be important. Although Forrest may have sprinkled his "subtle hints" throughout the book, it seems his most important hints may have been strategically placed in the beginning (Important Literature), the middle (MWFM beginning on p.73 of the 147 page book) and the end (Epilogue). That placement may be a clue in itself as to how to read the poem and thus where to find the things that are important in the book.
</div>

If you are looking for hints in My War For Me it would probably be helpful to know that Forrest wrote and published that particular chapter years ago, and simply included it in TTOTC later. You can find the earlier version here http://www.85fis.doncondra.org/Forrest%2...0Story.htm So there probably are no hints to the location of the treasure in it, UNLESS he subtly modified it between the time he originally published it and the later inclusion in TTOTC. A side by side comparison of the two texts may show any changes.

mdavis19
03-13-2014, 05:15 AM,

<b>Quote from mdavis19 on March 13, 2014, 5:53 am</b>
<div class="bbcode_quote">
<b>Quote from Jack on March 12, 2014, 7:58 pm</b>

All of this discussion of Important Literature made me see something that may be important. Although Forrest may have sprinkled his "subtle hints" throughout the book, it seems his most important hints may have been strategically placed in the beginning (Important Literature), the middle (MWFM beginning on p.73 of the 147 page book) and the end (Epilogue). That placement may be a clue in itself as to how to read the poem and thus where to find the things that are important in the book.
</div>

If you are looking for hints in My War For Me it would probably be helpful to know that Forrest wrote and published that particular chapter years ago, and simply included it in TTOTC later. You can find the earlier version here http://www.85fis.doncondra.org/Forrest%2...0Story.htm So there probably are no hints to the location of the treasure in it, UNLESS he subtly modified it between the time he originally published it and the later inclusion in TTOTC. A side by side comparison of the two texts may show any changes.

mdavis19</div>
</div>

I did that some time ago and if I remember correctly there are some subtle differences. IMO, I think that the Chase was designed around the theme and the meaning of MWFM rather than MWFM being written to plant clues. So it contains important clues or hints because it was the basis of purpose of him doing this.
03-13-2014, 05:31 AM,

<b>Quote from deb on March 13, 2014, 4:54 am</b>

He has also said the poem is "straight forward". Smile I do love the way Forrest uses words.
</div>

I think FF is a master at understanding human psychology and motivation. That is how he succeeded in dealing art and artifacts without any formal education in art or archeology. If you ever watch the show "Brain Games" it shows how our brains are wired to "shortcut" the volume of information coming in to make sense of it. That is why illusions work. So FF knows when he says things like "straight forward", "contiguous", "if followed precisely", we interpret that as clue 1 is at the beginning and it must be solved before clue 2, which is next, etc. Things are not always as they seem.
03-13-2014, 09:57 AM,
ok I think I can agree with what everyone has said so far. Although I can't comment on your WWWH because I don't know what or where it is yet but i'll get there eventually. It would be interesting to know how many have come to the same WWWH and by what means. Maybe that would be a validation it is the right path?

So the hint is reading one book but describing another. This is a hint to solving WWWH?

The Robert Redford line refers to "The Outlaw Trail" yes? So does he really mean another book or movie by Robert Redford? When he says he threw those beauties in the trash it reminds me of "Black Beauty" and the "The Horse Whisperer". Beauties seemed like a odd word to use.

I guess I am looking to hard in the book when I should be looking at the poem but the damn poem is harder than the book if that makes sense.

03-14-2014, 11:00 AM,
I first heard about this chase back in july or august of 2011. I did my first search in early october of 2011 and I have been to numerous spots but have remained focused on the same WWWH since last summer. I came to this spot first and then was suprised to see a connection with the For Whom the Bell Tolls book. At that point, I had only googled the book and knew just enough to see the connection. Some of the other clues as I interpreted them opened up for me rather quickly. But it wasn't until I bought the book and read the whole thing that I discovered a lot more and my perception of how some things in it related to places and historical events in my search area widened dramatically. Hemingway, I have come to believe, can only be appreciated once you have read the whole thing. That book started out annoying me like crazy but when the last page was finally turned and the book finally put down, I could say with total honesty that I loved reading it. If Mr. Fenn loves books and we believe he does, he would want you to read them. The experience of reading them is important to the chase.