Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For those sitting on pins and needles ...
03-21-2014, 06:34 AM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from liv42dy on March 21, 2014, 5:07 am</b>

I feel that the "few" have already been there as well and will soon return for reasons most do not know. Being under ice seems to be the most logical conclusion. I encourage all to believe that. Putting an unlocked chest under water or in the path of occcasional water flow over a hundred or even thousands of years does not seem logical.
</div>

But logically it can make sense. Some Mountain ponds/lakes can be relatively small, no current, rain and snow fed, etc. and for the most part, very stable. The Unlock chest does not say the chest is not contained or sealed. The bells that are hidden are sealed. So one conclusion could be that FF may have, for lack of a better term, sealed or water proofed the chest. But even if the chest should allow moisture in... the bio is also sealed for it's own protection. I would not completely rule out water. There is a lot that we just don't know about the precautions that FF took, if any at all.

EDIT: This is always been a thought in the back of my mind, when reading the Daily Beast, the statement the chest is expose to the elements. The only quote was of being expose to elements, Not the part about Earth quakes, mudslide or can be scorch by fire. That would be one clarification I would like to hear from FF.
03-21-2014, 11:52 AM,

<b>Quote from Seeker on March 21, 2014, 7:34 am</b>
<div class="bbcode_quote">
<b>Quote from liv42dy on March 21, 2014, 5:07 am</b>

I feel that the "few" have already been there as well and will soon return for reasons most do not know. Being under ice seems to be the most logical conclusion. I encourage all to believe that. Putting an unlocked chest under water or in the path of occcasional water flow over a hundred or even thousands of years does not seem logical.
</div>

But logically it can make sense. Some Mountain ponds/lakes can be relatively small, no current, rain and snow fed, etc. and for the most part, very stable. The Unlock chest does not say the chest is not contained or sealed. The bells that are hidden are sealed. So one conclusion could be that FF may have, for lack of a better term, sealed or water proofed the chest. But even if the chest should allow moisture in... the bio is also sealed for it's own protection. I would not completely rule out water. There is a lot that we just don't know about the precautions that FF took, if any at all.

EDIT: This is always been a thought in the back of my mind, when reading the Daily Beast, the statement the chest is expose to the elements. The only quote was of being expose to elements, Not the part about Earth quakes, mudslide or can be scorch by fire. That would be one clarification I would like to hear from FF.</div>
</div>

Seeker, I've been working on a solve where the chest has been put on the ground hidden in a accommodating rock. But recently I put boots on the ground and saw no accommodating above ground rocks at my sweet spot. Do you think exposed to the elements could include a shallow burying of the chest. There was sandy areas. I realize I probably have the wrong spot.
03-21-2014, 12:11 PM,
I think you can rule it out being in water - if water got in and filled up the case then it could burst open if the water inside froze (ice expands). The jade carvings would also get damaged and possibly destroyed from moisture ingress. Any seal on the chest would break down over time due to UV rays, expansion/contraction from cold and high temperatures, water pressure or simply prolonged contact with water. Even the best sealants have some small degree of water permability which is why most wont guarantee to keep things moisture free if they are in constant contact with water. To presereve its contents it would need to be on higher well drained ground

Exposed to the elements suggests at least part of the chest is exposed to the sky. I expect it will be in a crevice, in undergrowth or partially covered with rocks but only partly visible when you "look quickly down" from the blaze.

Just my 2c

J
03-21-2014, 12:16 PM,
fundamental design,

First take anything I say as a grain of sand, I have a billion opinions. I'm at the point of going to a spot and have a look. The poem can lead on precisely to the chest. But does the poem tell you how it was hidden. what are we as searchers looking for. A pile of rocks, maybe a petrified wood with a hollow center, a crack in a Mountain wall, is the chest some how camouflage to blend into it's surroundings, is it underwater? or will we just know when we get there. I believe I know what the blaze is and where, but the chest is hidden from site so what are we looking for. At this point I'm going over the poem with a with a fine tooth comb an old paint brush trying to find that answer or even if there is one in the poem.

I have thought that if there is a time of day or year that a shadow cast could be used as a pointer or even a natural developing shadow at the spot to show a location. there are many theories I can and have come up with. I just wonder if the poem tells one what they need to marvel gaze at. I know that doesn't help... So welcome to my world!
03-21-2014, 02:24 PM,

<b>Quote from Seeker on March 21, 2014, 1:16 pm</b>

fundamental design,

First take anything I say as a grain of sand, I have a billion opinions. I'm at the point of going to a spot and have a look. The poem can lead on precisely to the chest. But does the poem tell you how it was hidden. what are we as searchers looking for. A pile of rocks, maybe a petrified wood with a hollow center, a crack in a Mountain wall, is the chest some how camouflage to blend into it's surroundings, is it underwater? or will we just know when we get there. I believe I know what the blaze is and where, but the chest is hidden from site so what are we looking for. At this point I'm going over the poem with a with a fine tooth comb an old paint brush trying to find that answer or even if there is one in the poem.

I have thought that if there is a time of day or year that a shadow cast could be used as a pointer or even a natural developing shadow at the spot to show a location. there are many theories I can and have come up with. I just wonder if the poem tells one what they need to marvel gaze at. I know that doesn't help... So welcome to my world!
</div>

Seeker - probably few, if any, would agree with me but I see a juicy line full of information between your quest to cease and just take the chest.
03-21-2014, 03:12 PM,
The idea that Forrest would put it in water makes no sense to me. It would ruin the chest which is wood-lined. Forrest also knows that the streams, rivers and arroyos of the west are subject to periodic flash floods that can move boulders the size of cars. The chest and contents would be easily washed away and destroyed. There is no way he put it in water, or in an area that is subject to being flooded, IMHO.

mdavis19
03-21-2014, 03:26 PM,
jcm

Ah! But tarry scant with marvel gaze. The first thing is, WhaT a great line... This line has had me working on so many theories I lost count. Does it tell what to do at the blaze? tells how to see the chest? Tells you your quest is not over yet? As most lines, words and phrases having multiple meanings, those seem to explain something. This one seems to 'say' something 'directly' to a searcher!
03-21-2014, 03:42 PM,
Jimbo and mdavis, I agree. No water. Except rain or snow maybe. Or whatever moisture the area generates.

Tarry scant with marvel gaze. -- I believe is just a hint to the type of place where the chest will be located.

It can be used as a confirmation to your Blaze.

ADD: And I'm sure, also referring to the treasure itself in all it's splendor. :-)
03-21-2014, 05:17 PM,
Marvel gaze at an old secret but dont forget what you are there for.
03-21-2014, 05:50 PM,
Wrap that sucker up, put it in your pack, or on your burro :-) and do the Chevy Chase National Lampoon's Vacation Grand Canyon hurry up and look scene and split. No need to stick around. You've been there before.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just sitting here boyfriendless..... Gordon Lightfoot 2 401 03-15-2017, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Daniel A