Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For those sitting on pins and needles ...
03-21-2014, 10:44 PM,
"Marvel", if you look at the definition, can also mean curious (IE someone may marvel at how an engine works = curious). One possibile interpretation of that line is "Dont waste time trying to look for or wonder where the chest is from the blaze's location as you can't see it so just go straight down and try and find it"

The other lines support that hypothesis too. Look *quickly* down (EG glance) hints at locating the area it's in rather than eyeing up the chest and "Quest about to cease" = "its not over just yet - you still got some more work to do finding the chest"

I believe finding the (correct) blaze is by far the hardest part of the quest but finding the chest from there may well rank second.
03-22-2014, 12:02 AM,
Yep, just when you think its over its not.

Shhh they aren't listening.
03-22-2014, 09:40 PM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Seeker on March 21, 2014, 4:26 pm</b>

jcm

Ah! But tarry scant with marvel gaze. The first thing is, WhaT a great line... This line has had me working on so many theories I lost count. Does it tell what to do at the blaze? tells how to see the chest? Tells you your quest is not over yet? As most lines, words and phrases having multiple meanings, those seem to explain something. This one seems to 'say' something 'directly' to a searcher!
</div>

Seeker - my last three trips out were spent trying to verify 'But tarry scant with marvel gaze' in my search area. With the blaze line, for me it was mostly just the word blaze that had many meanings, but with this line, there is tarry, scant, and marvel (maybe even gaze depending on my mood) where each has many meanings and provide a multitudinous combination of possibilities. This line is my 9th clue and it has caused me to rethink clues 7 and 8 over the winter months and revisit all the other clues in my solve to decide how confident I really am in my interpretation of them. When one finally arrives at that correct spot where the chest is located, my opinion is that they better have given this line some studious thought. If not, I think they will miss getting to 'just take the chest'; make no mistake, Forrest hid that thing so that it will not be stumbled upon and my opinion is that it will not be easily found if you don't understand this line. Using my 'word that is key' (no, I am not claiming to be one of the 'few'), I hope my solution for unlocking this line will have worked when I arrive at my spot this spring and that this line will say to me exactly what I need it to tell me... if I am right on all the other clues.
03-22-2014, 10:53 PM,
Jcm, thats where I am stuck at. I missed something. More thought, more reading. Smile
Shhh they aren't listening.
03-23-2014, 10:25 AM,
jcm,

I would be cautious when you say... unlocking a line...and this line will say to me 'exactly' what I need it to tell me...

I'm not trying to tell you how to do the poem, But just throwing a thought out. I don't think each word or line or phrase tells one exactly what one needs to know, but a combination of those to tell you a clue. Can tarry scant work together with brave and in the wood? Can quickly look down work with home of brown? Each reveling a clue. If begin where WWWH to Marvel gaze are someones 9 clues in text, are all the other lines just for thought or fillers?

The complexity of the poem for me is, to understand what the Author is trying to convey to the reader. And for the reader then to figure out what hints the poem gives to understand how to find a clue from All those lines combined. I don't see a single line or phrase as a clue. But that is just my opinion on how the poem maybe read.

Another point of interest for me is, why most folks think the 9 clues are just Lines. Why are there capital letters at the beginning of each of those lines when they should not be. I have not seen [ yet ] anyone say... My nine clues are this line, that phrase, this word and the Capital letters. If I may ask, what are your thoughts on these letters?
03-23-2014, 07:46 PM,
Seeker - I cannot say that I disagree with your thoughts, reasoning, and approach. One of my early attempts at solving and unlocking the poem has connecting lines going all over the place within the poem. If you would like me to elaborate more and hear more of my thoughts, I would be happy to do so offline; too many itchy ears listening to ideas I don't want to throw out publicly as well as others who would be ready to stuff and cook the Thanksgiving turkey. Just let me know how to contact you.

I appreciate your sense of humor and your out of the box thinking. While I can't say that I agree with everything you throw out (then again, has anyone ever agreed with everything anyone else has said?), the thought process you display publicly is one of few that I have respect for.

In regards to the capitalized letters at the beginning of each line, I have never given them any thought. When I was in school and had to do poetry, I learned that capitalizing the first word of each line when writing a poem was standard practice. I did a quick google search on it just because you brought it up and it confirmed what I remember learning in school many years ago.
03-23-2014, 08:55 PM,
jcm,

Thank you for the kind word. But my public thought process is to throw everyone off... that's my story, and I'm sticking with it...

As for your input in regards to the capital letters, I did some checking also and agree that it is a common practice for them in most poetry. But with that said, I personally don't take this poem as anything common [ mainly for the fact, if your right and I'm wrong, you just killed my whole solve...So I hope ya can sleep well knowing you just crushed my dream].

I'm always open for an E-mail discussion, but I only have my main one, so if you like to share yours, we can talk about the poem and theories.

03-23-2014, 10:39 PM,
Seeker - no problems sleeping for me. Smile

I like that you throw out lots of questions, if they are for throwing others off, so be it, but I think it is the best way to stimulate thinking... So be careful, you just might lead someone where you don't want them to go... Smile

I mostly like to follow what others are thinking and keep a pulse on the current trends of thought to see if anything ever starts approaching my line of thought; I find that it very rarely happens. When something remotely close pops up, I like to throw out comments to see if anyone responds for which I could have some discussions, but rarely does that happen. I might gen a public email account so we can talk off line, but for now, time for bed.
03-23-2014, 11:36 PM,
I like your line of thought jcm.

And I understand Seeker's view -- "The complexity of the poem for me is, to understand what the Author is trying to convey to the reader. And for the reader then to figure out what hints the poem gives to understand how to find a clue from All those lines combined."

A combination of the two seems to be the right temperature for me.

03-24-2014, 03:48 PM,
I think of it this way: complex complexity and simple complexity. I started out with a complex complexity solve and then went to a simple complexity in my solve. I have had, in ff's words, 'a word that is key' from early on (not that in any way, shape, or form do I think I am one of the few he referred to); but this statement of his has certainly encouraged me that my approach is at minimum, not incorrect. On the dust cover of TTOTC, it says to unlock the clues, so that is all I try to do. I come up with an idea, research the junk out of it, and then go out into some of the most beautiful country that nature has to offer up and test it out. I learn a lot each time even though I always end up empty handed; getting out sure beats sitting at a computer and staring at google earth, the poem, and web sites hoping that something will magically click in my head that will take me right to the spot my first time out!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just sitting here boyfriendless..... Gordon Lightfoot 2 401 03-15-2017, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Daniel A