Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the $100,000 IOU statement?
04-03-2014, 08:31 PM,
Recently in the EIS interview, Forrest said he may have placed an IOU in the chest for $100K as an incentive for the finder to come forward. He said he wasn't sure how that was going to work if the treasure was found after he died. Then he goes on to say that he can't remember if that is in the chest or not.

I think the concept is a great idea. This could be what he was referring to when he says he knows when it will be found, but if he can;t remember if it is in there then that statement is invalid.

So, why does he mention this now, if he is not sure if it is in there? What purpose does that serve?

I think that if he isn't sure why does he not just come out and say there is $100K bonus it found and reported while he is alive? That would certainly clear that confusion unless there was another reason to mention it now. He also said there was a surprise that no one knows about in the chest as well.

I know it certainly would change my approach if I new that was true.

The Wolf
04-03-2014, 08:37 PM,
Mentioning the IOU reminds us there is a <b>chest</b> in case people report finding other things (one red T for example)
04-03-2014, 10:18 PM,
This is an interesting question and I can understand, if it's in there, how he would know when it's found. Perhaps the other item is something that a finder would need to contact him for also and would be irresistible to not claim it.

This actually plays into an idea I've been toying around with, that something else, some other type of "riches" is available for the finder, besides the chest. Either in the chest or at the same location somehow. The reason I wonder this is because I'm not sure the chest and it's contents, valued at under $1 million when the chase started, could be considered "riches".

I'm sure to an unemployed Texan with 6 kids and a pick-up truck, it might be, but to a multimillionaire, I'm not so sure. Would Mr. Fenn consider what he put in the chest equal to "riches"? Somehow I think not. So if not, what would be "riches new and old"? I've wondered if perhaps the title referred to in stanza 6 might be a title to something else Mr. Fenn owns that would be irresistible to the finder and considered riches, perhaps royalties to a gold mine where some of the gold came from? It's crazy to think about but what is riches to a multimillionaire?

And I have to remind myself, the finder gets the chest but the poem only hints of riches. There's nothing about the finder getting riches. So my imagination could be running wild.

This is all purely speculation on my part, but after his comment about the iou, it is not crazy speculation any longer to me. Something unknown and surprising is in the chest.

jdh
04-03-2014, 11:31 PM,
Interesting, since he said there were no notes to be found.
04-04-2014, 01:56 AM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from The Wolf on April 3, 2014, 9:31 pm</b>

So, why does he mention this <b>now</b> (boldface added)
</div>

Maybe I'm being nit-picky, but I think it's important to point out that he isn't saying this <b>now</b>. I recall he said "I'll be 83 in two weeks" twice in the audio, and I recall at another point someone said "Sept 2013." These recollections are after only having listened to the audio once, yesterday, and I could be mistaken about the count, but I am certain the August/Sept 2013 time frame for the interviews was implied at least once.

So, in my opinion, based on my recollection of the audio, there's no "current news" here - there are some new things that he hasn't said before, but he most likely said them over six months ago.

Regarding what purpose it serves, regardless of whether he said it then, or now, perhaps its just a story he concocted to let "the few" know that he'd like to be notified when the chest is found.

04-04-2014, 08:53 AM,
I guess the question could be simplified to "why even mention it"? Obviously FF doesn't want people to be searching for something that is not there and thus the reason he thought about placing the reward in there. I am puzzled by why he says he can't remember if it is in the chest. I kind of understand that the note would not apply after he dies but why not make it valid for while he is alive? He could do that right now!

I sent an email to ask him if the offer was still valid (since he can't remember if it is in there) but I received no response - which means "NO". I thought it would be quite simple for him to make this offer and would offer incentive to retrieve the trove or for the finder to come forward. There is significant risk of loosing the trove if the finder comes forward and or headaches for that person to try and fight to keep it. The $100K would be separate and could not be taken away. It would be horrible for the finder to loose everything just because the people on the other side had a really good lawyer - $100K offer would at least make taking that risk worth while. Make the offer Mr. Fenn and I am sure the trove is revealed within two months!
04-04-2014, 09:10 AM,
I sent Forrest an email as I was driving somewhere between and elephant and a rhino Nebraska, thanking him for NOT hiding it there. It wouldn't have made a very interesting story.
04-04-2014, 09:14 AM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from NTMI on April 4, 2014, 2:50 am</b>

Hey, let's start a contest! My guess is an autographed picture of Andy Devine.
</div>

Gotta have the 2 tone Ricky Ricardo jacket too!
04-04-2014, 09:55 AM,
Does anyone recall ff talking maybe in an interview about putting cash in the chest? Maybe my recollections are muddled at this point. Anyway, was thinking about how there could be a rare $1,000 bill or two in there, seems like he would have collected that sort of thing as well. Maybe he said heck with the IOU and just tossed the cash in too?

Also, can anyone recall ff ever speculating on a value of what is in the chest or is that simply other peoples approximation based on gold prices etc.? A rare $1,000 dollar bill would be a nice surprise indeed. I recall one of those bills from 1890's or so being auctioned for around 2 million recently. Easy to stuff in the bottom of the chest.

Regardless, I found the mention of the IOU odd as well, why would he say it now? Maybe to stop all the speculation about GPS beepers and hidden cameras etc. I thought it more interesting that he said he is 99.9 percent sure it is still out there, that alone made me speculate he assumes the finder will come forward. For the record, I think he would like it found relatively soon. ".....so yer sayin' theres a chance"
04-04-2014, 11:06 AM,
Hank-

I don't remember the specific but I'll give you what I remember.

Mr. Fenn has said that he was going to put cash in the chest, I believe some new bills, perhaps $1000 bills, but decided not to. He thought they might get damaged over the years.

Also over on Dal's blog, Dal has listed under "What's it Worth" his estimate of the value of the items in the chest. It's a pretty good read. He places the value between one half and 3 million dollars.

To my knowledge, Mr. Fenn has not given a value.

Good luck

jdh