Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the $100,000 IOU statement?
04-04-2014, 11:07 AM,
Hank,

dalneitzeldotcom:

Scrapbook Thirty One

What it's worth

Also:

Here/The Therapy Room/Nora Kelly/Scrapbook Thiry-one.....

04-04-2014, 11:32 AM,
Hank, look for the scrapbook about Glenna Goodacre. Fenn talks about a 1000 and two 500s, but he took them out before he hid the box.
04-04-2014, 01:00 PM,
<i>“There’s something that I don’t know whether it’s in the treasure chest or not. It was a crazy idea… But did I want to know if somebody found the treasure chest? So I said yeah, I do. One reason is so people won’t be spending money looking for something that isn’t there anymore. So I put an IOU. I wrote an IOU; take this IOU to my bank in Santa Fe and collect a hundred thousand dollars. I figured for a hundred thousand dollars the guy that found the treasure chest would not want to keep it secret anymore. I think I took that IOU out, but I don’t remember whether I did or not. It’s in there in spirit.”</i>

I believe that it's pretty near impossible that he doesn't remember whether he left the IOU in the treasure chest. He said he thought of everything. After working on the poem and filling the chest for 15 years, the time finally comes to close the lid and take it to the special spot, and he just cannot remember if he left the IOU in the chest? I believe that's practically impossible, and that there are three scenarios:

One, he did write the IOU and put it in the chest. But why would he say that he's not sure if it's in the chest? If it's really in there, what's the intent of creating doubt in the searcher's mind that it's actually there? If the IOU is in there, he wouldn't need to say anything at all. The finder will know.

Two, he did write the IOU, but then had second thoughts and took it out because of legal and personal reasons. He spoke about not putting the paper money in there as well, and putting an IOU would also be problematic for similar reasons (and be even more susceptible to moisture than money). He could have sealed the IOU in the wax-dipped olive jar, but then what about the issue of it being irrelevant after Forrest dies? The IOU would be worthless at that point, unless he set up some kind of future trust for perpetuity (although it can't be expected that a particular bank will last, and he surely wouldn't burden his heirs with it and sending strangers to them.)

Three, he never wrote the IOU, and just really wanted to convey the idea that he wants the finder to contact him. I think he REALLY wants the finder to come to him if it is found in his lifetime. He may be just telling you that it means enough to him that he would have offered $100k to you.

Forrest may be hinting to you that even though there is no IOU in the chest, that the offer still stands if you come and talk to him. However, I think it would be a little awkward to contact Forrest after finding the chest and say to him "Hey, what about that $100 grand that you offered?". Perhaps Forrest will bring it up himself to the finder, and trade $100k for the bracelet. By saying that <i>"It's there in spirit"</i>, he is strongly implying that he will give the cash to the finder. It's almost a promise, in spirit...

And if he expected that the search might go well beyond his lifetime, why would he say "One reason is so people won’t be spending money looking for something that isn’t there anymore."? It would just be a temporary solution. It'd also be strange for the finder to read the IOU if Forrest was deceased.

Whatever the truth is, I don't believe for a second that he cannot remember if the IOU is in the chest.

SYand42lbsHeavier,

Halogetter

04-04-2014, 01:02 PM,
Cool, found it, thanks everyone. Didn't want to sound like there was not already enough riches in the box, just curious, hard to keep everything straight sometimes. But, hmmm he could have put them in his wax covered olive jar if he wanted to keep it from the weather. This IOU thing is peculiar for sure...whatever, still won't get you to the trove. Enjoy...
04-04-2014, 01:12 PM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
This IOU thing is peculiar for sure...whatever, still won't get you to the trove.
</div>
True - but ironically the absence of it will keep me away.
04-04-2014, 01:55 PM,
Halogetter,

Sure like the way you explain things. :-)
04-04-2014, 03:15 PM,
Wolf & everyone - I don't think this issue is complicated. FF mentioned the IOU in August of last year on that radio interview. The season for searching was coming to an end in the very near future. He evidently wanted to create an additional incentive to maintain interest over the long winter months. However, & I have no idea why this is, we didn't hear it until recently. Everything FF does & says publicly is basically to create more interest & awareness of the Chase. About FF not remembering is bull. He's covering his bases so that if/when the treasure is found without the IOU ... well, we were told that it might not be included. FF also is diverting attention away from a hint that he gave some time ago about how he will know when the chest has been found. If you can recognize FF for the man that he really is ... simple is as simple does. Just ask Diggin Gypsy. She knows all.
04-04-2014, 06:41 PM,
Maybe the IOU is a hint and there is something like that. Maybe its something else that will require you to contact him cause I heard about he was going to put some $1000 bills in the chest then he decided not to.
04-04-2014, 07:03 PM,
I'm not concerned if there is or is not an IOU. I'm curious why would ya'll believe, an IOU would just be written on Paper? In-printed on a copper sheet would work very well. Dead Sea Scrolls anyone...
04-04-2014, 07:18 PM,
I just find it interesting that we are just now hearing about this, especially when Dal said that Forrest has mentioned the IOU thing before. Did he? I guess I missed that somewhere. Spring, a great time for renewal in many ways. :-) I wonder what else others know that we don't? Anyway, it would be a good way for him to know whether it's still out there or not, if it were true and back up previous "how he knows" statements or to calm the waters. All very interesting.