Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Searchers needing rescue and being charged
05-03-2014, 06:16 PM,
@mdavis 19...Add me to that list of well traveled if you would please...In my life from military assignments to traveling on construction jobs, I've been in or through every state in the US including AL and HI. It is really impossible to describe the grandeur and expanse of this country we call home. One must venture out to see it with one's own eyes to take it in... Smile

I remember my older brother Rex, on our trip to LV, NV to work as electricians on the road back in 1996, when we passed through NM and AZ made the remark, "You know, ever since I was a kid watching "Red Rider", "Hopalong Cassidy" and other western shows, I wondered where they filmed those programs. Now I know, and it is beautiful here, I didn't know it was so big." Memories that can never be taken away, once you have seen our great land firsthand...More than beautiful, it is majestic and grand beyond compare... Smile
05-03-2014, 08:08 PM,
We were traveling Southwest before we ever heard of the Chase & we'll continue to travel whenever we have the chance - like next week. The theories and stories shared here have led us to all kinds of new places - some we'd passed by & some we'd never heard of. Sandra won a ribbon on a photo from the Eagle's Nest Vietnam Memorial at a show this weekend (& one for a door at Martinez Hacienda in Taos).
05-03-2014, 08:19 PM,
Oh how exciting Sandra!! That is so great. Congrats! I hope you guys have a fun time on your trip ;-)
05-05-2014, 09:18 AM,
Why on earth would you tell rescuers that you were searching for a hidden treasure. Once you need rescuing they're already assuming you're a half-wit. Then you tell them you're searching for a treasure chest full of gold? You can only go downhill from there. In December my car died 20 miles from pavement in a place with essentially no communications. I managed to get a text message out to my wife before the battery on my cell phone failed too. My only instruction to her was that if she couldn't mount a rescue on her own that under no circumstance should she mention anything about treasure to anyone other than good friends.
05-05-2014, 01:36 PM,
LOL John, good thinking. Now if people insist on going into areas so remote they will be stranded they really should work the cost of a satellite monitored personal gps unit into their searches.

Dont know if anyone has read Dals blog today but apparently Yellowstone is thinking of banning anyone looking for the Fenn treasure. Big hoopla on the horizon?
Shhh they aren't listening.
05-06-2014, 09:07 AM,
@john, I just came from Yellowstone, hiking on the trails... I talked with the rangers before we left... never mentioning we were treasure hunting. It was "Not Far but Too Far to walk". I did fall down, and could have easily broken a bone. Thank the lord I didn't. But I did as suggested and traveled with 3 other family members. We saw buffalo close on the trail, ran into a coyote eating a carcass, fresh bear tracks. Did I say I did prepare and carry bear spray. Very careful but still could have been in trouble on these trails. One person passed us on the trail. He had on ear phones and could not hear anything. He said he had hiked 5 miles on the trail. He could have easily had an incident and never heard anything coming. Looked like he hiked a good bit, but still stupid to not be able to hear potential danger in the backwoods of a national Park/Forrest.
05-06-2014, 09:53 AM,
Whoa, <b>deb</b>. From my own research on the matter, Yellowstone <i>doesn't</i> look like they're going to "ban" searchers. I looked at Dal's blog and the first thing I noticed was the lack of a source. The next thing I noticed was Dal mentioned the name of the Chief Ranger at Yellowstone National Park. Until we can confirm (from something official like a memorandum) I don't think people looking for the treasure should be throwing rumors around and attaching names to them. Banning anyone has a process since it is a professional organization - managers and supervisors at different levels have to be involved and there's paperwork. Dal's blog was pretty lengthy on the matter and it might not even be true. Plus, if the Chief Ranger had no problem with searchers in the first place, he might be a little upset now.

Here's what Dal wrote (notice the tag, folks):

http://dalneitzel.com/tag/tim-reid/
05-06-2014, 10:37 AM,
Ok, but it strikes me as odd that Dal would post something if it were not true? You see Forrest endorses Dal as the person who represents his interests. Is this a departure from the normal? He is usually so careful to check his facts.

Shhh they aren't listening.
05-06-2014, 10:49 AM,
<b>Deb</b>, anyone can be wrong - even Dal. Since his blog doesn't contain a source, I think this might be a knee-jerk reaction (it is pretty lengthy and talks about searcher contributions to the economy, it's "MY" national park, etc.). Look, I'm not saying this is the new normal for Dal. However, citing a reputable source would be nice instead of relying on word of mouth.
05-07-2014, 07:38 PM,
Dave Foreman had a great idea: people who enter the wilderness should sign a waiver stating they will pay for rescue, otherwise they are not rescued.