Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Codes and Cyphers
03-13-2018, 04:25 PM,
RE: Codes and Cyphers
(03-13-2018, 04:18 PM)Kermit Wrote: Fenn never said codes and ciphers weren't involved. He simply said knowing about them wouldn't help.

Knowing how to drive a car won't get you to your destination, driving the car will.

I always considered Fenn's the list of subjects (ciphers, bible verses, etc.) to be the poker hand dealt, mentioned at the beginning of TTOTC, where four of those items (4 cards) will help solve the Fenn riddle, with one of those subjects being the Joker that seems to apply but leads you in the wrong direction. I could be completely wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. LOL

I don't have the Treasure Chest, but I'm not discounting things that might help just because of Fenn's classic double-speak.

I find it's best to keep an open mind, Kermit.

Thanks for sharing your view on the poker poem. There's a lot of people who focus on this, many of them go way to deep into it IMO, but who knows.

03-13-2018, 04:41 PM,
(03-13-2018, 04:25 PM)knighterrant Wrote:
(03-13-2018, 04:18 PM)Kermit Wrote: Fenn never said codes and ciphers weren't involved. He simply said knowing about them wouldn't help.

Knowing how to drive a car won't get you to your destination, driving the car will.

I always considered Fenn's the list of subjects (ciphers, bible verses, etc.) to be the poker hand dealt, mentioned at the beginning of TTOTC, where four of those items (4 cards) will help solve the Fenn riddle, with one of those subjects being the Joker that seems to apply but leads you in the wrong direction. I could be completely wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. LOL

I don't have the Treasure Chest, but I'm not discounting things that might help just because of Fenn's classic double-speak.

I find it's best to keep an open mind, Kermit.

Thanks for sharing your view on the poker poem. There's a lot of people who focus on this, many of them go way to deep into it IMO, but who knows.

Discussions of that page should include: I'M WAITING FOR SHIPS THAT NEVER COME IN .

http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/...omein.html
03-26-2018, 12:35 AM,
(03-13-2018, 04:19 PM)John Brown Wrote:
(03-13-2018, 01:36 PM)Andrew Jef Wrote: I think that the (reported) number of deaths in Hiroshima and Nagasaki
due to atomic bombing -- 66,000 -- may be significant to FF, although
he was not responsible for those deaths.

I don't know where you got the number "66,000" for the number killed in Hiroshima and Nagasaki but it is nonsensical. You don't use two significant figures on a number for which the first significant figure is unknown. We know the exponent: 4. Thus, for both cities, the immediate death toll was in the tens of thousands. The estimates of the immediate death toll at Hiroshima are about 80,000 with substantial uncertainty. The estimates of the Nagaski death toll seem to have greater uncertainty and run from 40-80,000. Many more died from radiation sickness over the coming months. It is likely that as many as were killed by radiation poisoning as were killed by the blast.

Actually, death from acute radiation syndrome was about 15% of total deaths. I.e., the majority died either immediately from blast and heat, or shortly (within 60-90 days) thereafter as a result of traumatic injuries from blast and heat.
-Barbara
07-15-2018, 08:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-15-2018, 08:35 AM by astree.)
http://www.chasechat.com/showthread.php?...#pid202897

(07-13-2018, 07:52 AM)Top Secret Wrote:
(07-13-2018, 07:38 AM)brubr Wrote:
(07-12-2018, 10:25 PM)DeeepThnkr Wrote: Yes the 2nd degree rainbow. The third reverts back to original sequence of spectrum and so on. Supposedly there has only ever been one photo taken of of a 4th degree. From an airplane, under the right conditions it will appear as a circle. Well their always a circle but the horizon blocks it from our view..

OK, this is just so silly and wrong, I had to respond. There are NO 2nd, 3rd, or fourth "degree" rainbows. There is a primary and a secondary rainbow ONLY. The primary rainbow results from a single total internal reflection(TIR) and the secondary rainbow from a double TIR. Primary rainbows can be seen at about 42 degrees and the secondary rainbow between 50 and 53 degrees. BOTH rainbows are theoretically complete circles, but you normally can only see an arc because the horizon cuts off the view. If the conditions are right, you CAN see a full circle rainbow from the window of a plane, but it is NOT a 4th "degree" anything.

Thanks brubr it is good to see some really smart people not only educating us on such complex details but correcting the mistakes that many make when posting.

Not sure what Deeep is referring to.

I observed what began as a secondary rainbow some years ago, and progressed to at least five, possibly as many as seven stacked rainbows. Each successive rainbow was dimmer as it formed. I dont recall spectrum inversion or not.

As I was driving, I pulled into a parking lot to watch what was at first a secondary,. Three other people in the car got out and also observed.

http://earthsky.org/earth/first-ever-pho...e-rainbows

Deeep, i took pictures. I knew it was rare, but didnt realize how rare. It was more than the quadruple in the link above.

Question things.... Forrest wants someone to question conventional wisdom, and him, enough to find the treasure.
=====

https://www.allmovie.com/movie/v46056

“Poetry is the art of saying what you mean but disguising it”
07-15-2018, 09:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-15-2018, 09:36 AM by John Brown.)
(07-15-2018, 08:27 AM)astree Wrote: .
http://www.chasechat.com/showthread.php?...#pid202897

(07-13-2018, 07:52 AM)Top Secret Wrote:
(07-13-2018, 07:38 AM)brubr Wrote:
(07-12-2018, 10:25 PM)DeeepThnkr Wrote: Yes the 2nd degree rainbow. The third reverts back to original sequence of spectrum and so on. Supposedly there has only ever been one photo taken of of a 4th degree. From an airplane, under the right conditions it will appear as a circle. Well their always a circle but the horizon blocks it from our view..

OK, this is just so silly and wrong, I had to respond. There are NO 2nd, 3rd, or fourth "degree" rainbows. There is a primary and a secondary rainbow ONLY. The primary rainbow results from a single total internal reflection(TIR) and the secondary rainbow from a double TIR. Primary rainbows can be seen at about 42 degrees and the secondary rainbow between 50 and 53 degrees. BOTH rainbows are theoretically complete circles, but you normally can only see an arc because the horizon cuts off the view. If the conditions are right, you CAN see a full circle rainbow from the window of a plane, but it is NOT a 4th "degree" anything.

Thanks brubr it is good to see some really smart people not only educating us on such complex details but correcting the mistakes that many make when posting.

Not sure what Deeep is referring to.

I observed what began as a secondary rainbow some years ago, and progressed to at least five, possibly as many as seven stacked rainbows. Each successive rainbow was dimmer as it formed. I dont recall spectrum inversion or not.

As I was driving, I pulled into a parking lot to watch what was at first a secondary,. Three other people in the car got out and also observed.

http://earthsky.org/earth/first-ever-pho...e-rainbows

Deeep, i took pictures. I knew it was rare, but didnt realize how rare. It was more than the quadruple in the link above.

Question things.... Forrest wants someone to question conventional wisdom, and him, enough to find the treasure.

I worked through the theory for the first and second rainbows some 30+ years ago so I'm slightly rusty. I seem to recall that the spectrum inversion was straightforward. You just have to know that the index of refraction of water is 1.3xxx and that the xxx part decreases with increasing wavelength. I can't quite see my way through to red being on top in the primary rainbow without doing the geometry, but I would be shocked if the spectrum for the nth order rainbow were not inverted from the n-1 th degree rainbow. I didn't know the higher order rainbows had ever been observed. Interesting.

EDIT TO ADD:
Here's the first page I found. From what I have understood of this https://www.atoptics.co.uk/fz1042.htm they are saying that the 3rd and 4th order bows are much closer to the sun in angle. They use an angular coordinate system that I don't recall having seen with regards to rainbow theory. With their coordinates the angle of the primary bow is presumably 138=180-42. With these coordinates the zero is directly into the sun and 180 is directly away from the sun. The 3rd and 4th order bows are then about 45 degrees from the sun so they're not really in the same part of the sky as the primary.
07-15-2018, 09:16 AM,
I was thinking ever other rainbow would be inverted, too, but maybe that only works when the sun is over your shoulder. I'm trying to remember the conditions when I saw the rainbow (it was over McDonalds arches, no less !! as we were driving to McDonald's and pulled into an adjacent lot to oberserve).

I just went through the last 14 years of photos I have, and couldn't find it. But, I know I took a picture.
=====

07-15-2018, 09:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-15-2018, 09:51 AM by John Brown.)
(07-15-2018, 09:16 AM)astree Wrote: .
I was thinking ever other rainbow would be inverted, too, but maybe that only works when the sun is over your shoulder. I'm trying to remember the conditions when I saw the rainbow (it was over McDonalds arches, no less !! as we were driving to McDonald's and pulled into an adjacent lot to oberserve).

I just went through the last 14 years of photos I have, and couldn't find it. But, I know I took a picture.

Try to find it! You might have a first! If I've understood the page I linked to the inversions are in pairs. So that 1 & 2 are inverted from each other. Then
1,3,5,7, ... are inverted from each other. (meaning 3 is inverted from 1, 5 from 3, ...).
Ditto for 2,4,6,8 ... . Their picture is worth at least 1,000 of my words. The pattern is clear. Just to be explicit: the bows in the 2n th and 2n+1 th order bows 2&3, 4&5, 6&7, ... are not inverted from each other.
07-15-2018, 12:43 PM,
Smile I knew you two would like this. Btw that pic would be pretty amazing.
08-18-2018, 09:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-18-2018, 09:24 AM by pacman.)
Who's looking at Forrest's coded Special Words at the back of Jenny's new book? My first comment is that it's just the numbers 1-80, with no duplicates. Last 24 values are possibly a key, more likely junk. (Don't ask me to post the code, buy the book!)

Pacman
08-18-2018, 10:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-18-2018, 10:26 AM by astree.)
(08-18-2018, 09:23 AM)pacman Wrote: Who's looking at Forrest's coded Special Words at the back of Jenny's new book? My first comment is that it's just the numbers 1-80, with no duplicates. Last 24 values are possibly a key, more likely junk. (Don't ask me to post the code, buy the book!)

Pacman

I would love to look at it, but don't have the book. Forrest has used much code since the beginning of this, even in his "no codes" scrapbook.

Mentioning Jenny, here's one he did recently at her site:

"I wish I could go back to the place again"

operative hints are "back" and ten words.

using the back-of-each-word acrostic

I HID OK O' TEN.
=====

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Codes, cyphers, in the poem, James Perotti 61 20,466 03-05-2014, 08:21 AM
Last Post: Circus_Maximus