Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are there hints in the scrapbook posts?
08-25-2014, 03:02 PM,
I was just curious if Forrest has ever implied, or if you have ever found hints in any of the scrapbook posts on dal's site? The scrapbook posts are all very similar to a lot of the stories in The Thrill of the Chase and Too Far to Walk?

Carla
08-25-2014, 03:45 PM,
Carla:

f gives hints all the time. Canasta is a hint, but It's like an inside joke. That is a hint only if you know what a similar word is and how it applies to the hunt. The double colophons are a hint, but only if you know what and where they are. That's why you must first come up with a possible solve, and then search for confirming hints, not the other way around.

Just my opinion-
08-25-2014, 07:47 PM,
Most definitely - yes! The hard part, though, is figuring out what is a valid hint and what is not - which becomes tricky because following a false hint can really take you off track.
08-26-2014, 06:39 AM,
Since I don't know where it is....I can't answer that. I do know that a long long time ago he told me that the only things to use were the poem and TTOTC. That was prior to TFTW, so I can't speak to that. I believe he said there were no clues in his blogs. He's also said you don't need history books. I think he might be throwing these out there to just pass on what he knows...so others know too.
08-27-2014, 09:14 PM,
Here's my take on this:

1. All you need (at a minimum) is the poem and a good map - period.

2. If you want an advantage, buy TTOTC and read it many times, slowly.

3. If you want an extra-advantage, read his scrapbook and vignette blog posts.

4. If you want an extra-extra-advantage, watch all videos/media events that spotlight Fenn.

5. If you are lucky enough to find some special markings while on a search, decipher them with the help of the above resources.

6. Finally, if you come up totally empty on the previous items, follow forums like Dal's site or this chasechat.com for ideas, but do not get lost since 99.99% of the threads will lead you astray.

Oh, almost forgot - IMHO!
08-28-2014, 08:46 AM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Milan on August 27, 2014, 10:14 pm</b>

Here's my take on this:

1. All you need (at a minimum) is the poem and a good map - period.

2. If you want an advantage, buy TTOTC and read it many times, slowly.

3. If you want an extra-advantage, read his scrapbook and vignette blog posts.

4. If you want an extra-extra-advantage, watch all videos/media events that spotlight Fenn.

5. If you are lucky enough to find some special markings while on a search, decipher them with the help of the above resources.

6. Finally, if you come up totally empty on the previous items, follow forums like Dal's site or this chasechat.com for ideas, but do not get lost since 99.99% of the threads will lead you astray.

Oh, almost forgot - IMHO!
</div>

IMHO, 99+% of the stuff in items 2, 3, 4 will also lead you astray, negating any possible advantage.

mdavis19
08-28-2014, 05:26 PM,
We only need to pic out the 1% of useful info to give us a winning advantage.
09-04-2014, 09:50 AM,
It depends what you mean by hint.

Do you need the book to find the chest? no (all you need is the poem)

Can the book lead you to the chest? no

Can the book help with the poem? Possible but with so many red herrings in the book I don't think it is worth the time to try and sort through it all. And this from someone who spent 6 months on the book alone.
09-04-2014, 12:19 PM,
Book = poem origin
Shhh they aren't listening.
09-04-2014, 07:59 PM,
I found a theme that keeps reoccurring in each post. It's obvious and fits my solution but can't fine tune it.