Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sketches in the book
07-01-2013, 09:13 PM,
Sketches in the book
I loved the DP post!
07-01-2013, 11:32 PM,
Sketches in the book
Hi Milan,

The book states that Allen Polt, a local Santa Fe artist, did the drawings unless otherwise noted. This one by "JF" I don't know, but I kind of have a personal opinion (and it's just that...an opinion) that anything in the book that involved another person to design, whether it be a drawing, photo notation, the arrangement of items in a photo, etc. I discard as a possible clue because, while we are guessing that these "subtle hints" were placed there at Forrest's direction, the artist, graphic designer, photographer, etc. would KNOW that these things done deliberately, therefore they would have an upper hand on us.

Example: If Forrest told this artist to "try to place an arrow pointing down that canyon so it's visible, but not too conspicuous", I would think that would pique the artist's interest. Or if he told the photographer of the much-debated "map & frog" photo on Pg. 133 to "make sure you get the 'W' in the frog's eye in focus" or "make sure the frog is pointing specifically to a point on the map when you superimpose it", these things just don't seem logical to me. Again, it's just my opinion.

As for the arrow pointing to where you're already looking, I doubt the chest is in Vietnam. LOL (Sorry, I just couldn't help myself!) Wink

Peacemaker
07-02-2013, 06:13 AM,
Sketches in the book
Yes, I agree that Fenn would not have confided with any artist about including a hint in a drawing. Which is why I was asking the question about who did the art. After I posted, I found the artist acknowledgement in the beginning of the book that says "Drawings by Allen Polt unless otherwise noted."

I am now thinking that this drawing is significant (since it is the only one with "JF"), and that Fenn did it himself. Perhaps his art signature is "JF".

Oh, and thanks Peace for pointing that out, it's not in Vietnam, so back to the drawing board for me.
07-02-2013, 07:30 AM,
Sketches in the book
Hi Milan, I would not discount the sketches in the book, even though they were drawn by someone else, there content was directed and approved by Mr. Fenn. I think the sketches provide some important hints, and would be of "no great advantage" to the artist, consider the fact that searchers have had "all" of the available information for over three years and the chest is still out there.
07-02-2013, 07:52 AM,
Sketches in the book
Doesn't it seem strange that more than one person would do the drawings? Is it possible this was a collaboration between Forrest and someone else? Maybe someone who's no longer around? I actually think the symbol above the JF seems more interesting than the arrow. I just sort of wonder if Forrest could have "doctored" up any of the photos/drawings. I don't know if he can draw himself, but maybe he wanted to tell us that he does have an artistic side to him. I mean he tells us that he made the bells and while I think most could replicate the frogs and the dragonflies, I was pretty impressed he was able to do the female form. Also, if you look at his Fechin book...there's a photo of him showing one of his granddaughters how do something on paper. Is he drawing? I would think that maybe since it's a Fechin book with sketches from Fechin...that maybe he's showing her how to draw. Who's name starts with a J that we know he knows or is the J just an embellishment so we don't realize he drew it? Maybe it stands for Joking Forrest lol. I don't know.
07-02-2013, 07:57 AM,
Sketches in the book
Hi Stephanie, Mr. Fenn's company owns the copyrights, so yes, there is no reason why Mr, Fenn could not have added to or changed the original sketches, any way he pleased. JF, could be a daughter in law or nice?
07-02-2013, 08:35 AM,
Sketches in the book
I agree James. I just had a thought...the poem in the front about the Joker....maybe it really does stand for Joker Forrest. I wonder if Dal could find out who did that picture. It seems very strange that it's only referenced by the JF...and was it his Memoir where he talks about Eric not signing his artwork and so Forrest did? Ya know...*thinking* I saw Eric's original sketches at Forrest's house...and you can see them in his "square inch" book about Eric...they look similar to these....what if Forrest copied a sketch that Eric did...then he signed it...then had that Allen guy make his artwork look similar so that we might pass it up? I don't think it's Vietnam that is the clue though...I think it's something like the arrow or that symbol...sort of like the Highlights magazines from when we were kids. The only reason I liked going to the doctor's office as a kid was those picture searches in those magazines...didn't it stink when someone actually circled them?

I think that's some good thinking...we should be curing some disease or solving some crime with all these brain cells working overtime.

@Steve...will this make it to your next Thrill of the Chase parody? LOL
07-02-2013, 09:46 AM,
Sketches in the book
Too funny, cuz I was actually remembering Highlights magazine too when I saw what I interpret as an arrow. And yes, I really did hate it when someone else got to the magazine first - lol.
07-02-2013, 10:33 AM,
Sketches in the book

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Milan on July 2, 2013, 7:13 am</b>

I am now thinking that this drawing is significant (since it is the only one with "JF"), and that Fenn did it himself. Perhaps his art signature is "JF".

Oh, and thanks Peace for pointing that out, it's not in Vietnam, so back to the drawing board for me.
</div>

Hi Milan! Glad you tolerate my lame attempt at humor. Wink

I did a quick (not thorough) search of artist listings in the Santa Fe area and didn't find one with the initials "JF". One JF comes to mind and that's his sister June. I don't know if she draws, ever got married and changed her surname, etc. As you point out, it's the only drawing in the book with those initials, so it may be more important than my little brain can decipher.

Stephanie made a good point and blows my line of thinking out of the water as well when she said that Forrest may have altered the drawings himself after they were submitted to him by the artist. Looking at the arrow that you circled, it does look like it was possibly an add-on. So I'm baffled as usual.

Also the design just above the initials that Stephanie pointed out could just be a weed or is it more? Propeller of some kind?

@James Perotti, thank you for challenging my opinion on this as well. I appreciate that far more than someone agreeing with me because it causes me to re-think and consider alternatives. Plus you made very good points. Gracias! Smile

Peacemaker
07-02-2013, 10:38 AM,
Sketches in the book

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from admin on July 2, 2013, 9:35 am</b>

@Steve...will this make it to your next Thrill of the Chase parody? LOL
</div>

Nope. Sorry Stephanie. I'm done with the parodies. LOL. I even deleted the Dr. Pepper one because I pollute your blog with enough of my ramblings and even though it was meant to be funny and kind of make fun of myself, I didn't want anyone to take it the wrong way or mislead someone if they skipped past the first sentence that said it was a joke.

My time would have been better spent mowing my lawn instead of posting that drivel. LOL

Peacemaker