Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ditches are deadly
07-20-2013, 01:25 PM,
ditches are deadly
All,

This was a picture taken from a most recent rain storm. This is a controlled run off from the mountains, a concrete arroyo on I40 in Albuquerque. This type of rain event happens all to regularly and we often lose lives every year because people are in the arroyos in the rain. In NM, just because it is not raining overhead and there are blue skies does not mean it is not pouring a mile away. If you are searching in creeks, river, or arroyos please be advised. Be careful.

DNA

[Image: y8ah4-photo.JPG]
07-20-2013, 05:29 PM,
ditches are deadly
Good advice to remember. Don't want to lose any searchers. The force of fast-moving water is why we don't think it's in a watercourse.
07-20-2013, 05:47 PM,
ditches are deadly
FYI, just saw Gadi Schwartz post on Facebook at 4:14 PM NM local time that he has received reports of flash flooding and mudslides in Red River. Anyone out there, be careful!
07-21-2013, 01:36 AM,
ditches are deadly
I remember one of my first trips offroading in the deserts of Arizona. We were shooting up a creak bed when one of the guys calls over to his buddy "Hey remember last time when this rock was 50 yards up the trail and sideways? This is a cake walk now!" (What he called "this rock" with a boulder the size of a Winnebago.) I ask him, "Seriously this boulder moved that far? How?" He answers "Rainstorm. This creek flash-floods and moves all the rocks around. That's why we love coming here after a rain. It's like a totally new trail every time." It was well over a hundred in that box canyon, hadn't rained in weeks, rain was the last thing on my mind.

A little old innocent dry creek might be the drainage for a 10 square mile basin. Even if it only rains a half inch, that desert-sheen dirt upstream only absorbs for the first five minutes before it clogs up, the rest flows down hill, and you do NOT want to be in it's way when it does.
07-21-2013, 10:50 PM,
ditches are deadly
Flash floods are a very real danger in the Southwest. Just lost a man in my hometown of Los Lunas two days ago. Many years ago, I actually saw an 18 wheeler being dragged down that diversion channel that DNA posted. That's how powerful the water can be, and in a very short time.

If you're searching in a dry riverbed, and you see sticks and debris hanging from the limbs of bushes and tress along the bank, it's from a previous flashflood. Not a good place to hide a chest, so best to stay out of those places, especially if you see rainclouds in the area (and by area, I mean within 20 miles). Be safe, Boo.
05-25-2017, 01:24 AM,
RE: ditches are deadly
Bump.

down with the evil twin

05-25-2017, 10:22 AM,
RE: ditches are deadly
Runoff this year from snowpack is 300 percent of normal. The rivers will remain high for several more weeks.
Shhh they aren't listening.