Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recon Report
05-18-2015, 10:48 PM,
Recon Report
This trip was meant to be just a quick reconnaissance of a particular area. I had no high expectations for it. It didn't stand out over and above other areas I have considered. I just happened to be passing close to this area in my travels and wanted to see what it looked like on the ground. For the first time ever during my participation in the chase, I am unable to eliminate this area. Not only can I not eliminate it, but the more I explored it, the better it fit all the clues up to the blaze.

Some of you may remember my Nobody Panic, But... thread. I had deciphered the clues/hints in the first stanza, found a great and ironic WWWH, located rickety old abandoned bridge that would be no place for the meek, and some BS stoner "blaze" graffiti. Well the next day I went back and had a more thorough exploration of the area. I was convinced crossing that old bridge was necessary to get to the other clues, but try as I might, I could not find anything on the other side, at least not at first. After thoroughly searching the area on the other side of the bridge, I returned to the bridge, dropped down onto the river bank and looked around under the far side of the bridge. Still nothing. The poem says no paddle up your creek. So I walked down stream along the river bank on the far side. I explored several groves of cottonwood trees growing near the river bank. Found nothing but hungry mosquitoes. Then I dropped back down to the edge of the river and turned around and headed back the way I came. I had been searching the ground and the trees, but when I finally looked up, in the far distance, beyond the old bridge, that's when I saw the most perfect heavy loads and water high imaginable. I have some great pictures of it, but I'm not going to show them to you because some of you might just figure out where the spot is.

I spent a lot of time trying to find the real blaze. So far, no luck. Maybe I was just not wise enough to find it, or maybe it is just coincidence that all the other clues lined up so well in this one spot. Or maybe it is very hard to spot. I had to be in just the right place to see the heavy loads and water high beyond the no place for the meek. Similar precise placement may be needed to find the real blaze. One probably false blaze I found yesterday was a four foot wide vein of light colored quartz in chocolate-colored bedrock bisected by narrow canyon. A very perfect blaze. I climbed down into the canyon to see if anything could be hidden under an overhang or in a niche not visible from above, but found nothing. Looking "quickly down" from the blaze just showed me the way I had come. Not utterly implausible, but it left me confused and out of ideas for the moment. I was also out of time. I am leaving this top secret area somewhere in the mountains north of Santa Fe and moving on to my place in Arizona for a while. I am going to rethink things and study the photos I took and Google Earth placemarks I made. If inspiration strikes, I may be able to return to the area briefly for more recon on the way back home. Anyway, It looks like one way or another, I will be returning to this area in the future. I really feel I am on to something.

mdavis19
05-18-2015, 11:39 PM,
Recon Report
Enjoyed the story mdavis. Good luck.

"But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd." - Jules Winnfield
05-18-2015, 11:54 PM,
Recon Report
I guess a couple of important things I always ask myself when determining if a place is even cohesive in the beginning is:

"Will the clues stand the test of time and would he(an 80yr old man) have gone there?

Because, if even one clue does not have the potential to last, then that could render the solve useless and I might have to reconsider. And that is just to begin in making a starting point determination. But then again, he said that "most" of the clues probably existed when he was a kid, .....not all. :-)

Now, of course, there are a lot more parameters to go by as well, these are only a couple.

"But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd." - Jules Winnfield
05-19-2015, 09:45 AM,
Recon Report

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from mdavis19 on May 18, 2015, 11:48 pm</b>

rickety old abandoned bridge
</div>

You're searching the Taos Junction Bridge at Pilar, NM, a place that has been searched by everyone from Toledo and beyond. The bridge isn't as rickety as you imply, but it's cute that you were so tickled by the 'blaze.'

Enjoy your Weather King.

[Image: 54igj-Pilar.jpg]
05-19-2015, 10:00 AM,
Recon Report
It's not the Taos Junction Bridge. That bridge is paved, his isn't. His is closer to the water. His river also has more vegetation and is more narrow. Come on!! :-)

Could be the same river, just a different spot.

05-19-2015, 10:32 AM,
Recon Report

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Project Why on May 19, 2015, 11:00 am</b>

It's not the Taos Junction Bridge. That bridge is paved, his isn't. His is closer to the water. His river also has more vegetation and is more narrow. Come on!! :-)Could be the same river, just a different spot.
</div>

Point is, davis has been unmasked again! He shoulda used a better home of Brown.

The fact that he's on the Rio Grande at all is grounds for a total fail evaluation. It is not the home of Brown; nor is Taos.

05-19-2015, 11:01 AM,
Recon Report
'Nuther rickety bridge, but once again, nowhere near a useful home of Brown or wwwh, or blaze, or.....

[Image: 51af1-GlennWoody.jpg]

Glenwoody Suspension Bridge

Rio Grande - Pilar vicinity, New Mexico, USA

05-19-2015, 11:06 AM,
Recon Report
Gittin' closer, but too far south of SF perhaps. Good bridge, though.

Cowles and Holy Ghost, New Mexico, USA

On the Pecos River

[Image: t4d66-cowles.jpg]
05-19-2015, 04:39 PM,
Recon Report
Hi davis, A couple of thoughts, does the spot need a flashlight to find your way back out after dark? Is it far enough from where you park to bring a sandwich? Would a copy of TTOTC, with a compass embedded in the cover be helpful? In the beginning he said that the person that solved the poem, would go straight to the chest. It's probably a good bet that the right solve won't leave any questions.
05-19-2015, 07:19 PM,
Recon Report
Hang in there mdavis...You just never know do you?... Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trip Report Mindy 12 3,016 02-04-2017, 05:03 PM
Last Post: old drum
  hoD Annual report: No Daldies this year? The Wolf 18 2,953 01-02-2017, 09:53 PM
Last Post: geydelkon
  Mini Trip Report Chmaanta 0 629 06-25-2016, 02:49 PM
Last Post: Chmaanta