Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Thoughts on treasures distance from a "human trail"?
06-17-2015, 07:18 PM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from James Perotti on June 17, 2015, 8:13 pm</b>

Hi Pooka, Mr. Feen tells us that people continue to arrive there, (sounds like a busy place), and the chest and his final resting place is only 200 feet away, from whatever (there) is.
</div>

Did he say that? Man, wouldn't that be something!! :-)

"But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd." - Jules Winnfield
06-17-2015, 08:49 PM,
The spot he chose is public for sure imo. Remember he spoke about fishing many special places growning up and how he felt they were his alone but he knows that many other people have since fished those areas and have similarly made them their own. The spot that he chose is known to many generations of people.
06-18-2015, 04:31 AM,
There may not be any trail near or far, It could just be a parking area and the hiding place is off from there.
11-16-2016, 11:12 AM,
RE: Thoughts on treasures distance from a "human trail"?
(11-16-2016, 04:11 AM)Andrew Jef Wrote:
(06-16-2015, 04:00 PM)Pooka Wrote: ...I was wondering if you would be so bold as to give an estimate of how far you walked to hide the treasure after leaving your car: was it >10miles, between 5 and 10 miles, between 1 and 5 miles, or less than 1 mile?

<i>"Ron, your question sounds like a travelogue, but I’ll answer it. No, I don’t want to be that bold. But I will say that I walked less than a few miles if that will help. I just looked “few” up and one definition is “scant.” Why do I sound like I’m talking in circles? f"</i>

<i>"I made two trips from my car to the hiding place and it was done in one afternoon.”

"I took the gold in one time and I took the treasure chest in the second time."

"When I hid that treasure chest there was nobody around."

“There isn’t a human trail in very close proximaty to where I hid the treasure."</i>

The most peculiar part of the phrase is the use of "very". I'll skip the misspelled word for now. Close proximity is already close, so the "very" implies perhaps even less distance, or something else...

When Forrest uses the word "trail" here I believe that he most likely followed a hiking trail, and less likely a jeep trail. I don't think he was talking about a paved road, even though you might stretch the definition to include that as a human trail. And I do not think that he was making a clever statement about a horse trail or some other type of trail.

I also do not believe that Forrest bushwacked the whole way from the car to the hiding spot, at least not through heavy duty forest, unless it was a relatively short distance. Certainly not several miles of bushwacking. I don't think he would send families out into that kind of challenge. If it was mostly open land, or sparse forest, that's a stronger possibility.

Forrest said that he walked "less than a few miles" from the treasure <i>after leaving your car</i>. If we know he took two trips, which he discussed at least twice, it sounds like he is talking about going less than a few miles from the car to the spot, not from the car to the spot to the car to the spot. It is the distance from the car to the spot. Some may disagree with this, and think it's the total distance.

I also think he said "less than a few miles" because it is close to a few miles (you can define a few). I don't think he is intentionally overshooting it to mislead people. For example, 300', or even 30', is less than a few miles, but it's illogical to express it that way unless you were being extremely vague or misleading. I have made my own interpretation of less than a few miles, and I'm sure you have made yours.

So I believe that there is a human trail. This would include old, non-identified trails, and also established identified trails. I believe he gets off the trail to get to the spot that he explored some time ago. This is a common theme in Forrest's life, the concept of the path less taken, or going it his own way.

Something special pulled him from that trail. I think his words hint at this, in both comments and in the poem.

Getting back to Pooka's original 200' to 500', I think that is reasonably in the pocket. My hunch is that anything less than 100' is probably in very close proximity. I feel that the outer limit would have to be less than 1,000', but probably closer to Pooka's limit, despite the fact that someone might put no limit on a distance that is NOT in very close proximity.

I'm basing these thoughts on Forrest's words and my studies in the chase, but more importantly on what he is telling in the poem.

But to be fair, the phrase “There isn’t a human trail in very close proximaty to where I hid the treasure” could also mean there is no human trail remotely near it. From most interpretations I have read, I think the reading is that while there is no human trail in very close proximaty to the treasure, it's just beyond that region. It's the feel of the statement, and the hint of a trail.

Halogetter

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Pooka/Halogetter,

I believe that (as the crow flies) the distance from the TC to the nearest
"human trail" -- which I believe is a road -- is about 1.5 miles. But if a hiker in search of the treasure follows the clues, it's more like 2 - 2.5 miles of hiking, each way. Since the air is thin, the ground is not very smooth or even, and the goodies are heavy, I suggest that a successful solver of the poem (that means ALL the clues, with a helluva high degree of confidence in each clue's solve) start hiking not very late in the day. And yes, I'm not giving info I could. I want to be the successful one. Nonetheless, good luck to everyone. Please make safety a high priority.
Some dangerous critters live in the Rockies.

Since FF made two trips in one afternoon, do you believe he would've been able to walk a total of 8 or more miles in one day at 79-80 years old?
11-16-2016, 05:39 PM,
This has been settled by ff, IMO. About a mile.

Kpro
11-16-2016, 05:44 PM,
RE: Thoughts on treasures distance from a "human trail"?
(11-16-2016, 05:39 PM)Kpro Wrote: This has been settled by ff, IMO. About a mile.

Kpro

Hi Forrest,
You once said you walked the 92 miles from West Yellowstone to Bozeman to just experience it. Obviously you were much younger than you were when you hid the treasure. Too far to walk means different things at different ages so I was wondering if you would be so bold as to give an estimate of how far you walked to hide the treasure after leaving your car: was it >10miles, between 5 and 10 miles, between 1 and 5 miles, or less than 1 mile? ~Thanks, Ron

Ron, your question sounds like a travelogue, but I’ll answer it. No, I don’t want to be that bold. But I will say that I walked less than a few miles if that will help. I just looked “few” up and one definition is “scant.” Why do I sound like I’m talking in circles? f

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  string with knots to calculate distance 1 689 06-12-2018, 11:43 PM
Last Post: heyoka
  Distance between clues SoulMates4Ever 6 690 01-11-2018, 09:25 AM
Last Post: SoulMates4Ever
  Human vs physical geography mrmagicarovrumrebel 10 2,351 09-19-2017, 08:37 AM
Last Post: fabjr71
  the blaze cant be seen from a distance BrazenBull 46 5,113 05-25-2017, 02:02 AM
Last Post: The Count
  Only Human Iron Will 8 2,755 05-09-2017, 04:17 AM
Last Post: Mindy
  Max Distance from the car? crustacean 12 5,035 08-02-2016, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Windy City