Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full of Warm Waters Halt
10-21-2013, 10:45 AM,
Full of Warm Waters Halt
not in montana
10-21-2013, 11:05 AM,
Full of Warm Waters Halt
Yep, yep, yep.
10-21-2013, 08:02 PM,
Full of Warm Waters Halt

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from NewbieFenner on October 13, 2013, 8:42 pm</b>

Not that I believe it's buried or in the water, but Forrest has NEVER stated it's exposed to the elements. You are quoting the DailyBeast reporter Tony and not Forrest. Forrest has went out of his way to repudiate the article as being full of mis-quotes and inaccurate facts.
</div>

would like to see a statement or article on that repudiate. if ya have it . thanks
10-21-2013, 10:04 PM,
Full of Warm Waters Halt
Yeah Seeker...Never came back to the Newbie on this myself...But what I said was from Dal's blog and in these forum threads as statements from Mr. Fenn...enter "exposed to the elements" in the -search forums- and check...it's all over the place in here.
10-22-2013, 07:10 AM,
Full of Warm Waters Halt
SamSmith, I have seen that statement in articles, blogs etc. along with the chest is (paraphrasing) safe from mudslides, floods, earthquakes, and can be scorch by fire... I assume he means as best as can be anyways. But being "exposed" to the elements, should tell one the chest is not under water or in a cave. Possible in a cave entrance or near by.

The scorched by fire is very interesting, for the reason that, if near woodland or an area as such leaves me to believe there would not be a whole lot of timber, vegetation or lack of a better term, fuel for the fire. Brass melting point is about 1600f, gold melting point is over 1900f, wood burns at a much lower temp. 400-500f. so even if it was in a fire, the chest an most of it's contents should be spared.
10-22-2013, 12:04 PM,
Full of Warm Waters Halt
@Seeker...Two things come immediately to mind here...Scorch basically means to change color by heat...So, the box could be in a meadow of grasses(remember the headstone he tripped over in the tall grass in Vietnam?) and a fire would expose it, but not damage it(heat not high enough) or, it's on or under stone "in the wood" and burning timber or detritus wouldn't heat it much. My solve points to the latter scenario....

10-22-2013, 03:50 PM,
Full of Warm Waters Halt
I had lost track of where this post even was. You wanted the references - here it is.

This is the excerpt from the Daily Beast article. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/20...art-2.html

"But as you frisk and refrisk the poem for its meaning, keep a few more clues in mind: some people have suggested the treasure is under water, plopped in a river where Fenn loved to fish or swim. They are wrong, I know, for in a moment of exuberance, Fenn said so. He told me the chest is “exposed” to rain and snow, and could be scorched in a forest fire. He told me the box, which is just 10 inches by 10 inches, is unlocked—suggesting it’s someplace where it is unlikely to be toppled or otherwise thrown open."

The reporter claims that Forrest said this, but that is a claim that we can't prove or even read to understand the context. Forrest will not acknowledge this is true and in each interview since has always made sure to avoid this issue. He won't say for sure either way.

This is from the United Airlines article -

“What serious adventurers should remember,” Fenn says, “is to not believe anything that is not in my poem or otherwise in my book. There’s some misinformation out there. For instance, I never said I buried the chest, I said only that I hid it. That is not to say it is not buried, so maybe we need to define the terms. Does ‘hidden’ mean in plain sight? What is the difference between ‘buried,’ ‘entombed’ and ‘sepultured’?

If we believe Tony is correctly quoting Forrest, then the chest is in the trees where it can be scorched by a forest fire. That would preclude buried, in a cave, on a rock ledge, in a lake, river, or waterfall, etc...

I have no idea if it's buried or not, but Forrest has not publicly stated this clue, so we must keep an open mind.

If you find a different quote from Forrest where he positively says it's not buried, then please post it as that would be a helpful hint.
10-22-2013, 04:08 PM,
Full of Warm Waters Halt
the above newbie, does not say that the article in, the daily beast article, is wrong, only that ff said at some point "there's some misinformation out there". which we all have heard, which includes articles,TV,report, blogs, forums etc.

as to "if we believe Tony correct..." statement I have seen many places with heavy wooded areas around water , lakes, waterfalls, rock ledges etc. so non of those place can be preclude.
10-23-2013, 06:55 AM,
Full of Warm Waters Halt
I won't argue it, but given that Forrest keeps avoiding the issue about buried or not, I need to keep an open mind. I would guess it's not buried, but maybe that's what he wants us to think. It would be nice if he just stated it once and for all.

10-23-2013, 07:01 AM,
Full of Warm Waters Halt
Not an argument there Newbie...the premise behind this chase is "the thrill"...Mr. Fenn answers little or nothing directly because he would give away too much doing so...He wants us to do it on our own, experience our own "thrill"...it would simply lessen it to have help from him.