Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pinyon Nuts
07-31-2015, 05:47 PM,
Pinyon Nuts
“If I was standing where the treasure chest is, I’d see trees, I’d see mountains, I’d see animals. I’d smell wonderful smells of pine needles, or pinyon nuts, sagebrush—and I know the treasure chest is wet.”

I had a great, straight-forward solve but when I saw this quote I had to reassess my solution as there are no piñon trees within fifteen miles of the spot I had found. After saying this quote, Forrest even seemed to express regret at revealing too much information, which tends to confirm the validity of the content of the quote.

If Forrest is to be taken at his word when he spoke these words than the search area is defined by maps of areas where piñon trees exist. My question to you is this:

If your search area is in an area where there are no piñon trees are you dismissing this quote? Or alternatively, are you using this quote to inform where you search?

Thanks.
07-31-2015, 06:55 PM,
Pinyon Nuts
http://www.santafenewmexican.com/life/fe...bb524.html
07-31-2015, 07:06 PM,
Pinyon Nuts

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Pooka on July 31, 2015, 6:47 pm</b>

If your search area is in an area where there are no piñon trees are you dismissing this quote? Or alternatively, are you using this quote to inform where you search?Thanks.
</div>

Pinyon nuts have not been listed as a criterion for the chest's location. Above 5,000 feet and below 10,200 feet is still listed on Dal's site as the search elevation range. Pinyon trees don't generally grow at the higher elevations, so I do not regard their territories as important in my search. When I heard this tourism commercial, and Forrest's statement, I felt he had meant to say pine trees, and pine needles which makes much more sense since many kinds of pine trees occur in the map area. Pinions don't grow near my search area either so I say ignore the pinion statement.

07-31-2015, 07:27 PM,
Pinyon Nuts
Thanks 49! I had not seen that article.
07-31-2015, 07:39 PM,
Pinyon Nuts
It was a painfully awkwardly worded statement. It seemed apparent to me that he was attempting to correct a mistake by adding the word nuts, A very poor spur of the moment choice IMHO, since it just drew more attention to the phrase. It is rare to see Forrest flustered. So the real question in my mind is whether it was a mistake where he thought he was giving away too much, or just a meaningless mistake he over-reacted to? But why over-react if it is really meaningless?

mdavis19
07-31-2015, 10:01 PM,
Pinyon Nuts
this is pure conjecture at this point based on a couple of ifs (but we are going to find out pretty soon here if it is conjecture or not)

IF what is being reported by TTOTC.com is true, and IF one of the states that is eliminated ends up being MT or WY

this then put 2 of 3 states in play being the southernmost states, and the only 2 states on the treasure map with pinyon pines

this then brings i think more focus or attention to the pinyon nuts comment and the addition of, that he said something he wished he hadnt said.

it seems, just simply from a mathematical odds point of view, to show more plainly what his comment meant (likely)

07-31-2015, 10:17 PM,
Pinyon Nuts
Pooka-

You need to decide if Forrest made a truthful slip in his response, or if he mucked it up, like he said when he responded to my question to him about it. "Shame on me for saying that", he said as well. I actually don't think it's really rare for Forrest to be a little flustered.

So if you want to narrow your search area with that comment, by a whole lot, you may be making a great gamble or a huge mistake and opting out of the actual location.

I think it's wise to use the poem to narrow your search area. If it takes you to an area with pinon trees, great. If not, I would continue studying it closely and not just throw it out.

I agree with CY that if Forrest were to eliminate Montana, this may lend credence to the idea of the pinyon trees comment being a truthful slip-up...

Halogetter

07-31-2015, 11:59 PM,
Pinyon Nuts
LOL @Liv

So should we call it Watergate or Mounds? Sorry, I dont know any brand name candy with pinons in it. Smile

I am staying out of pinon mania :?

Cant wait to see if Mikes gossip gets confirmed.
Shhh they aren't listening.
08-01-2015, 07:23 AM,
Pinyon Nuts
Maybe Forrest had recently eaten some New Mexico Apple Pie (with green chilis & pinon nuts) when he made that comment. Speaking of pie & pinon, I know some older ladies in this part of Missouri who are in the market for some pinon nuts so they can make some of <b>that</b> pie like we had in Pie Town. Anybody have a source?
08-01-2015, 08:41 AM,
Pinyon Nuts

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Who Trolls Nigh on August 1, 2015, 9:18 am</b>

Pitch:

- A sticky resinous black or dark brown substance that is semiliquid when hot, hard when cold. It is obtained by distilling tar or petroleum and is used for waterproofing.

synonyms: bitumen, asphalt, tar

<i>"cement coated with pitch"</i>

- Any of various substances similar to pitch, such as asphalt or bitumen.

synonyms: bitumen, asphalt, tar

<i>"cement coated with pitch"</i>

Interesting that he uses grease to get pitch off. Does pitch, as defined above, smell? Thoughts? Am I all turned around?

I'm sure somebody out there can take this a little further...
</div>

Pine pitch is the sticky resin that can ooze from pine trees, pinon trees, fir trees. It smells good and you can start a good campfire by using it because it is flammable. It is honey-colored and is the material that can petrify into amber. When the 'sap runs' in the spring, the whole forest can smell of it. The bark of large pine trees (Ponderosa pines) can smell strongly of vanilla. It is why I hug them every chance I get.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinion Nuts. EnigmaticThree 7 1,953 07-24-2017, 07:53 PM
Last Post: brubr
  Liter81 and Pinyon E.C. Waters 2 692 12-31-2016, 05:09 PM
Last Post: E.C. Waters