Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not much Chatter here in Montana??
08-31-2015, 06:54 PM,
Not much Chatter here in Montana??
I wonder why...... what other state could the treasure be in? I mean.. For those thinking Colorado or New Mexico? There's zero clues that point there.

Wyoming... sure. I could see anywhere in Yellowstone possibly. But New Mexico, and CO... I would never guess these places.

Although. I wish it was in New Mexico or Colorado. I think it would be easier and safer to reach... Don't ask me why, I just think the rugged terrain of Wyoming and Montana are less forgiving, it may be cooler with less Desert.. but the mazes of trees, Moose and Griz.. etc. make it more daring!
09-10-2015, 01:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-10-2015, 01:43 AM by goldintheforest.)
RE: Not much Chatter here in Montana??
well glock20,

I have to say its interesting that no one talks about it possibly in Montana.

For 3 years i've been looking in Montana. And after my third attempt to the location i think its in... i've decided that for me its not meant to be.

But doesnt mean it couldn't be in Montana.... only the one willing to try will find it.

I myself tried to post my comments on Dal's website where I think it could be and he removed them... dunno why....
09-10-2015, 04:56 PM,
Goldintheforest..
Yes, I know how you feel. I spent 3 weeks in one popular search location in Montana... crossed a nearby lake explored an entire area looking everywhere and no luck! Saw some Rams, bear scat, and some old animal bones, I did find an old silverware fork from the 50's that was it. But it was a great time!

I don't think most realize how much time it will take to find it.... 3 weeks, 3 months, 3 years.. 30 years in one area. You can't have a budget. You need to become a Mountain Man or Woman... and live off the land for a while.
09-10-2015, 11:26 PM,
True

But what if it was alittle easier?

What if there's a hidden puzzle

I thought there was and went to search it

Only to find its seasonal

Went last time and only found crazy treasure hunters already there searching the entire lake for it

So I just left
09-11-2015, 12:08 AM,
If you saw other treasure hunters there... Sorry, I think you were in the wrong spot. I saw No humans. I was all alone... All alone just like Forrest and it was spooky and dense in one section and being Brave is a true fact of the Poem. Its no place for the meek is true, my place takes me outside my comfort zone... Its the home of Brown that most will turn back away from.. And yes, Grizzlies pass thru the area. I found so much bear scat and marks on the trees and there was no easy quick escape out of the area.

If Forrest was not armed or not carrying bear spray...it wouldn't surprise me. I don't think he fears much, but I did.... following signs a tracker would and not knowing what was around bedded down possibly in the trees or brush. Parts of the mountain are bare... but to get to that part.. its thick dense trees and vegetation and indeed no place for the meek. I did grid searches like a crime scene investigator would searching for the chest.. I spent several weeks over the summer and came up with nothing. So maybe I am wrong too?!? It was still fun.
09-11-2015, 12:17 AM,
(09-11-2015, 12:08 AM)glock20 Wrote: If you saw other treasure hunters there... Sorry, I think you were in the wrong spot. I saw No humans. I was all alone... All alone just like Forrest and it was spooky and dense in one section and being Brave is a true fact of the Poem. Its no place for the meek is true, my place takes me outside my comfort zone... Its the home of Brown that most will turn back away from.. And yes, Grizzlies pass thru the area. I found so much bear scat and marks on the trees and there was no easy quick escape out of the area.

If Forrest was not armed or not carrying bear spray...it wouldn't surprise me. I don't think he fears much, but I did.... following signs a tracker would and not knowing what was around bedded down possibly in the trees or brush. Parts of the mountain are bare... but to get to that part.. its thick dense trees and vegetation and indeed no place for the meek. I did grid searches like a crime scene investigator would searching for the chest.. I spent several weeks over the summer and came up with nothing. So maybe I am wrong too?!? It was still fun.
I am surprised to see the poll data that only 8% are looking in MT??? 14% believe it doesn't exist. I have a spectacular blaze near where ff and Donnie were. I can't understand why anyone would not want to solve the poem with fenn's favorite places.
Ω 200 ft. Club Ω
09-11-2015, 06:40 AM,
Decall,
IMO, the 8% poll number searching MT is a good sign if you believe the crowd is typically wrong. In this case, I believe a contrarian approach is appropriate, and MT seems to be the most likely state for being most special to F. I think back on my own childhood, and I just can't imagine the special place he chose is not in MT. The poem has never pointed me anywhere but starting in WY and ending in MT, even though I live much closer to the NM section of the Rocky Mtns.

Glock20, I hike solo as well, almost always do and have, so I constantly remind myself not to get over-confident with the terrain or the animals whose home I'm temporarily invading. I prefer to hike quiet and slow because I like to photograph whildlife but, when going through heavy cover with reduced visibilty in griz's back yard, I make a lot of noise. I carry bear spray and a large-caliber revolver with a heavy load, but an ounce of prevention...

I just recently bought my first Glock for a CCW. I originally carried the Walther PPS, but had the striker guide crack on both pistols. I put only factory rounds through them, and not more than 250 through each, but I did a considerable amount of practice using a breech-loaded laser training cartridge (probably 3K - 4K in each), and discovered both guides had cracked after reading about that exact problem on Walther forums. So far, I'm loving the Glock. Reliability is the #1 priority for me in any firearm, so I'm thinking of going strictly Glock for all my pistol needs.

Anyway, it suits me fine if most want to search NM, but I'm sticking with MT.
Best of luck.
Joe
09-11-2015, 09:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-11-2015, 10:21 AM by glock20.)
Joe and Decall,
I like the way you guys think.... I would love to search with you guys but would hate to split the treasure, especially 2 other ways but maybe if we put our heads and boots on the ground we could find probably find IT! LOL!

Anyways, yes... Smart men are well prepared in the Woods. I'm an ex-cop so I have a decade of firearms training and experience so to me its second nature like a contractor having his daily tools on a work belt. And I did have to read up on 4 legged predators vs. 2 legged ones before venturing to God's country in Montana.

In the woods I carry of course a large can of Counter Assault Bear Spray on my weak hand side, and a Glock 20, 10 mm loaded with hardcast 200 grain rounds custom made from Double Tap (google double tap ammo). Its a Full power load. For more further hikes in the back country when I am alone and in more dense forrest, I also sling a 590A1 Mossberg shotgun with brenneke make slugs. Carrying a shotgun is a heavy load while hiking, and yes it sucks but I would feel naked without it. Even Mountain Men carried those old school black powder rifles so I should stop whining.

My terrible singing is my best weapon of defense... I sing and shout like a madman when needed, of course I pause to try to hear any nearby branches crackling... hoping its not Mr. Griz or a his cousin.. Mr. Moose.

No matter what... Train, train and do more training... Its all about muscle memory when you are in panic mode. Your body will freeze in a panic and your brain will shut down unless you have muscle memory. Military, Police and even the Navy Seals train so much... its all for muscle memory. I am a firm believer too in the saying.. 2 is one, and one is none! always have a back-up. Glock and spray, Glock and a Shotgun, or all three... You just never know. Your life may depend on it.

I did a lot of research on Grizzlies and hunter attacks. Its amazing and equally terrifying that they can get to you before you even spray them or shoot to try to stop them from mauling you. Apex predator all the way.. And even if you carry a 44 mag or a S and W 500... if the round doesn't hit them in the right spot.. You are still going to get slammed. Spray and Pray! But having all the right tools makes me feel better... call it a false sense of security.

I would NEVER be like these other crazy people that venture into Wood without any form of protection. Just on normal hikes near Yellowstone... families, couples, no bear spray... probably no other weapons. One guy I ran into... he said, well my bear spray is deep in my pack. What good will that do if its not accessible???!?!

So many people not prepared... Ignorance is bliss I guess?! LOL!

Forgot to mention... I think Montana poll is low because maybe others are mentioning other places to throw others off...

I think Canada should have been put on the poll just for fun. It would be 30% believe its in Canada, I bet!! ha!
09-11-2015, 03:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-11-2015, 05:18 PM by glock20.)
Hi Crazyfamily,
Everyone has their philosophies on firearms and safety. I guess I would have to tell you that I have had my life on the line far too many times and I am thankful I did not have to result to any deadly force. But I thank my lucky stars I was prepared most of the time. This debate will go on for centuries my Liberal friend.... And please keep searching in NM.

I love debates on this topics. Let's start here with my ramblings: Why did primitive man and indians carry weapons.. spears, knives, bows, etc? Why did the Mountain Man carry a Rifle and a knife? They were prepared for the WILD for food or for protection.

So now its not OK for the modern man to carry protection? Fear is a good thing. You are not at top of the food chain in many wilderness areas. And most Cities are more dangerous than the woods. I would choose hiking across Alaska or Yellowstone over Detroit, Baltimore, or Los Angeles.. any day! That includes sleeping in a tent in the wild.

I don't fear driving my car down the street either, but I put on my seat belt on everyday when I drive my car and have car and homeowners insurance policies. Not just because its the Law but for my own protection. Not because we want to get into accidents but for our safety and for the "what if" fate deals you a bad hand, right?! There's a reason why Cops and Forest Rangers carry firearms too... For the "what if" right. Well I value my life and my wife and kids lives too and I would die defending them.

There have been many stories of hikers on wilderness trails being "saved" by others carrying firearms... And I wouldn't hesitate to save you too if in need. For those that lack safety and training, you are right don't carry firearms and accept the fact that you will not have any fighting chance of stopping an attack and may be eaten. But its not right for you to tell others that they live in Fear if they are prepared...

Awareness and Planning only get you so far... Don't forget about "implementation" plans of what you are going to do if your life or your loved ones lives are on the line. Running away from a situation may only make it worse. At a minimum, if you fear guns, Carrying a can of Bear Spray can also be used on other predators 2 legged and 4 legged.... Mountain lions, etc. It might save your life.

Or how about those long highway drives... if your car breaks down. Do you realize how many nutjobs cruise highways looking for innocent sheep? Women get raped, people get robbed, and killed you name it. It happens! Serial killers love to drive... and highways are easy patrolling for them. Just look at the FBI statistics.

There's a simple analogy and three sociological classifications of people today: Some of you have heard this study from the awesome Lt. Col. Dave Grossman.

Wolves: They are predators of society and attack and eat the sheep (the liberal people who hate guns) and wolves also hate the sheepdogs who will fight them.

Sheep: They hate the wolves and dislike the sheepdogs who want to protect themselves and everyone.

Sheepdogs: They will fight the wolves and will protect the sheep. They refuse to be eaten or won't go down without a fight.

Here is how the sheep and the sheepdog think differently. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog is always ready for that day. Still, the sheepdog disturbs the sheep. He is a constant reminder that there are wolves in the land.

Call me paranoid... but we live in a dangerous society and others do not value human life or have the morals as we do. Enough said.
09-11-2015, 05:01 PM,
Just saw an article where a man with a rifle saved a party of hikers in Colorado from an aggressive bear.