Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Blaze = Fenn's Fly fishing Rest Spot
09-30-2015, 02:36 PM,
The Blaze = Fenn's Fly fishing Rest Spot
I rarely fish, but I know family friends that fly fish all the time (in Colorado). People that I don't hang around with too much or talk to, but thought, "What the hell, maybe I'll get some ideas on solving the chase."

And boy did I.

You can tell by what a rookie I was because I didn't bring a hat. There is no escaping the sun when fly fishing that's for sure. Then they took me somewhere that created this eureka moment.

You see this is one of their favorite fishing spots (Fenn probably has many) and they've been here so often they took the time create a clearing right in the middle of a random wooded area (some place nobody would think to go in and look). In this area they have cleared the grass, weeds, moved stones for sitting, fires, etc. It's their "rest spot" after fishing. Also plenty of shade away from the sun.

Now I started thinking about Fenn and how he talks about his secret. The poem and how you have to be "in the wood." The blaze and how a definition is a clearing of sorts. Even Fenn himself says the chest isn't anywhere near a human trail, so neither would the blaze be. Fenn has also said he doesn't like to go on trails. So for Fenn to have this kind of "rest spot" at one of his favorite fishing spots, and call it his "secret" and a "blaze" is starting to make perfect sense to me.

Also, think about Fenn's final resting spot. Would it be some place where you just see his bones and a chest? Or a place where it looks like this person has lived, ate, and rested?

The blaze just may be that, a clearing Forrest has created and used over the years. And if you think about it, if this is truly the blaze, then logically New Mexico would be the most likely place (some place he can go to very often with ease).
09-30-2015, 10:54 PM,
RE: The Blaze = Fenn's Fly fishing Rest Spot
I like the way you think, djjmciv.
10-01-2015, 12:08 PM,
There is a lot you can do by stacking rocks.
10-01-2015, 05:42 PM,
(10-01-2015, 05:40 AM)blazed Wrote: any clearing he made would grow back pretty quickly, so that cannot be the blaze.

Good point, agree with that too.. Fenn never really mentions any good fishing spots in New Mexico.. so my compass keeps me pointed to Yellowstone..
10-01-2015, 05:45 PM,
(10-01-2015, 05:42 PM)glock20 Wrote: Good point, agree with that too.. Fenn never really mentions any good fishing spots in New Mexico.

Gee, I wonder why!

"Let me tell you something else. I've seen a lot of spinals solves, Dude, and this guy is a fake. A ****ing goldbricker." -Walter Sobchack
10-02-2015, 04:41 PM,
(10-01-2015, 05:40 AM)blazed Wrote: any clearing he made would grow back pretty quickly, so that cannot be the blaze.

It looked like they sprayed the place with weed killer, but that doesn't mean Forrest may have found a natural blaze.

Regardless I think, in time, it would grow back and that's the point.
There will still be evidence that someone has spent a lot of time there.

(10-01-2015, 05:45 PM)HarryFool Wrote:
(10-01-2015, 05:42 PM)glock20 Wrote: Good point, agree with that too.. Fenn never really mentions any good fishing spots in New Mexico.

Gee, I wonder why!

I've said this 100 times before, and I'll say it 100 times more.

The book is sold in NM.
Above the poem states to look north of Santa Fe (NM)
Forrest was hardly ever popular outside of NM
**** Forrest wrote the book for his audience, which, at the time the book was released, was people who would buy his book in NM *****

And the book, does a pretty good job at not making too many hints about New Mexico. Almost like it's trying TOO HARD to not bring up the state for a reason. Yellowstone gets throw out there on many stories on a whim.

You spend thousands of dollars and hours of your time to create this. You wouldn't throw out general location hints at a whim. Just my train of thought.
10-02-2015, 06:44 PM,
I think such a clearing would more likely be the hiding spot than the blaze.
10-02-2015, 07:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-02-2015, 07:32 PM by decall.)
(10-02-2015, 04:41 PM)djjmciv Wrote:

It looked like they sprayed the place with weed killer, but that doesn't mean Forrest may have found a natural blaze.

Gee, I wonder why!

The book is sold in NM.
**** Forrest wrote the book for his audience, which, at the time the book was released, was people who would buy his book in NM *****

And the book, does a pretty good job at not making too many hints about New Mexico. Almost like it's trying TOO HARD to not bring up the state for a reason. Yellowstone gets throw out there on many stories on a whim.

You spend thousands of dollars and hours of your time to create this. You wouldn't throw out general location hints at a whim. Just my train of thought.

djj, I'm fine with you looking in NM,.. you bring up a good point about Fenn's intentions, his reasons for hiding the chest. IMO this is the giant gorilla in the room. You make it seem almost political fenn's reason where. Seriously, what IS his reasons for hiding the tc? Certainly there are emotions, forces, greater than convenience or loyalty.... Even greater than a childhood fondness for WY MT, the desire to leave more than a footnote in the history books. What legacy could he possibly leave? IMO NM has more chance than CO. WY can be eliminated using the poem, still more important than NM. So here you go:

1. MT
2. WY
3. NM
4. CO

Try do add some reasoning if you disagree, please.
Ω  200 ft. Club  Ω
10-02-2015, 08:41 PM,
(10-02-2015, 07:30 PM)decall Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 04:41 PM)djjmciv Wrote:

Gee, I wonder why!

The book is sold in NM.

djj, I'm fine with you looking in NM,.. you bring up a good point about Fenn's intentions, his reasons for hiding the chest. IMO this is the giant gorilla in the room. You make it seem almost political fenn's reason where. Seriously, what IS his reasons for hiding the tc? Certainly there are emotions, forces, greater than convenience or loyalty.... Even greater than a childhood fondness for WY MT, the desire to leave more than a footnote in the history books. What legacy could he possibly leave? IMO NM has more chance than CO. WY can be eliminated using the poem, still more important than NM. So here you go:

1. MT
2. WY
3. NM
4. CO

Try do add some reasoning if you disagree, please.

Not being critical, but how do you eliminate WY using the poem?
10-02-2015, 08:58 PM,
Just my interpretation, take it in the canyon down, right out of WY and into MT
Ω  200 ft. Club  Ω

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I rest my case crazyfamily 10 1,031 08-06-2018, 09:58 AM
Last Post: Beavertooth
  Batters up, took a rest from driving, realized the dual map DeeepThnkr 0 265 08-02-2018, 03:02 PM
Last Post: DeeepThnkr
  Didn't Forrest Write a Book About Fly Fishing? Mal 0 546 08-24-2017, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Mal
  A Life-Time Of Rest I KEEP MY SECRETS 1 1,074 03-29-2017, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Urban_Archaeologist
  Putting the Double Omegas to Rest djjmciv 16 8,091 10-09-2015, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Hammertime
  Secret Fishing Spot HarryFool 8 2,048 07-04-2015, 10:56 PM
Last Post: morecowbell