Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seasons
10-15-2015, 07:52 AM,
Seasons
What's the earliest you'd buy a ticket out to search in the Rockies... when is the snow mostly gone, etc. Early May?

I think I've got 1 more look in me afterall...
10-15-2015, 07:56 AM,
RE: Seasons
end of may it is. . . one last hurrah before my June wedding I suppose.
Maybe I'll make a bachelor party out of it. Big Grin
10-15-2015, 09:48 AM,
There's no snow in WY...it has been unseasonably warm all over the state. I haven't heard of any road closures, but as Steph said, there is a website if there's a question.
10-15-2015, 10:09 AM,
By middle to late May you can search
NM - anywhere under 10,200
Colorado - anywhere under 9,000 unless it's been a mild spring.
Wyoming - Anywhere under 7,500 unless it's been a mild spring. (Southern Wyoming is like Colorado)
Montana - Anywhere under 6,000 in northern areas and close to 7,500 ft in southern areas.

These are based on having little snow to walk through. I've done 20 searches in May and those elevations were relatively snow free. But if it was a high snow fall year then these numbers could shift to June. Also, If it's a well shaded area, then the snow sticks around much longer as well.
10-15-2015, 10:14 AM,
The weather conditions are so crazy and ever changing... its 95 degrees here in California by the Beach.. and we are coming into mid to late October!! It would be cool to see the Rockies during the Winter...like Wyoming and Montana, but those roads are just tooooo treacherous for me.

I have a fantasy to go Snow mobiling thru Yellowstone in the Winter.... that's gotta be so awesome! seeing the Geyers, snow, animals, etc.... AND best of ALL.. NOT MANY TOURISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10-15-2015, 10:43 AM,
(10-15-2015, 07:52 AM)LostFound Wrote: What's the earliest you'd buy a ticket out to search in the Rockies... when is the snow mostly gone, etc. Early May?

I think I've got 1 more look in me afterall...

It is a strong function of elevation and latitude as well as the snowfall for that year. This year is supposed to be a strong El Nino which means that NM is likely to get a lot of snow this winter. In my opinion pretty much anywhere in NM should be searchable by early May. I've searched pretty deep into the mountains in the winter (in a light snow year) in NM. In the southern Colorado San Juans and Sangres, mountain snow at 10,000' lasts well into June. The further north and higher you go the longer it lasts. Then there are strong local variations too. South facing slopes can be free of snow in the winter while the snow in a near-by north facing slope will be quite deep. Most years, my front yard (elevation 7,300') which has southern exposure is free of snow all winter except for in the few days immediately after a snow fall. The guy who lives across the street only has northern exposure and there will typically be several feet of snow in his yard into early May.
I'm pretty sure that most north American ski slopes are primarily north facing, which means when you're looking at them dead on you're looking south.
10-15-2015, 05:32 PM,
(10-15-2015, 08:23 AM)Plasmalupus Wrote: [Image: 6afd9ca93266d46fdba7f95846a766bc.jpg]

Guess who's looking for the Fenn treasure..?

Plas, pull your shirt down...we can see your belly button. Smile
Mindy's blogs:

http://www.fennhotspot.com
http://www.myeverwonderland.blogspot.com
10-15-2015, 05:45 PM,
(10-15-2015, 05:43 PM)Plasmalupus Wrote: That's not me....it's Ace of KISS...my cousin. Even he like to get out in the wild once in a while.
I want his autograph. Smile
Mindy's blogs:

http://www.fennhotspot.com
http://www.myeverwonderland.blogspot.com
10-15-2015, 06:04 PM,
(10-15-2015, 05:32 PM)Mindy Wrote:
(10-15-2015, 08:23 AM)Plasmalupus Wrote: [Image: 6afd9ca93266d46fdba7f95846a766bc.jpg]

Guess who's looking for the Fenn treasure..?

Plas, pull your shirt down...we can see your belly button. Smile

PARTY LIKE A ROCKSTAR!!!!!!!!!! LOAD UP THE CHASE TOUR BUS!!!!!
10-15-2015, 07:47 PM,
(10-15-2015, 10:14 AM)glock20 Wrote: I have a fantasy to go Snow mobiling thru Yellowstone in the Winter.... that's gotta be so awesome! seeing the Geyers, snow, animals, etc.... AND best of ALL.. NOT MANY TOURISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't be a girly-man. I guess you take after the gubminator. Snow mobiles stink. I mean that literally. Develop skillz. Snow shoe or X-country ski in. It is way way way cooler and you still won't find the treasure but you'll still treasure the experience. Drive in on an ()#)(*)(*)*-mobile and you'll forget it in a night or two.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This Seasons’s Braggarts Bet 54 9,202 06-11-2018, 04:13 AM
Last Post: easternOHsteve
  Weather/Seasons/Mystical Places/Animals Folklore Mindy 2 623 04-19-2018, 05:54 PM
Last Post: easternOHsteve