Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So you found the TREASURE - now what?
06-12-2013, 02:36 PM,
Peacemaker,

What you said in your most informative post makes a lot of sense. I think it would be important not to disclose the location and let the mystery remain somewhat in tact. It would be nice to put it in a museum tour for a year or so and then maybe have one of those auction houses sell it. It may be worth much more if sold in tact. If sold "parted out" each piece maybe also worth a lot more that its intrinsic value and would allow individuals a chance to own a part of this treasure. That may be more appealing to the dedicated searchers.

I am just thinking out loud - what do all of you think?

The Wolf
06-12-2013, 02:57 PM,
Further to the gift tax - I found this under WIkipedia that helps explain it in layman terms:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gift_tax_in...ted_States

The Wolf
06-12-2013, 03:51 PM,
It makes me happy that so many seem to be focusing on what to do when they find it, rather than finding it in the first place. Smile

06-12-2013, 06:09 PM,
Perhaps some are a little further ahead than others! ;-) I guess that is the nice thing about categories. Those who want to focus on finding can stay in those specific discussion groups and when they find it, they can come here an save a lot of time. Don't you agree?

The Wolf
06-12-2013, 08:15 PM,
What's better: To pay the income tax on the chest all at once and have it authenticated so you can sell it for the "treasure" premium, but risk court and forfeiture? Or quietly sell it on the sly as scrap to fund your lifestyle over the next couple decades and save the bite from the tax man, but risk theft or fines if caught?
06-12-2013, 08:49 PM,
Tomwhat,

Very good question. I have considered that question a lot and it is not easy because of fear of confiscation. Too many people out there hate success and will stop at nothing to take it away. On the other hand, it seems right to pay the tax and not a good idea to mess with that and all the illegal activities - not for me. I keep thinking of Richard Hatch who won a million buck on Survivor and then doesn't pay taxes and then he goes to jail. Now he is a criminal. I guess that is why it is worth discussing it here first and make a fool proof plan that ensures success after the find. Ideally, there must be a way to find it, promote it (and not give a way the location), avoid expensive lawyers, increase its value and then sell it and pay your taxes on the capital gain. Maybe even start another chase if it all works out.

The Wolf
06-13-2013, 03:26 AM,
Gov't official: Where did you locate the treasure?

You Repeat after FF: "In the Mountains, north of Santa Fe."

G. O.: I repeat, where was this treasure located?

You Repeat after FF: Above 5,000 feet in the mountains.

G. O.: We will put you in jail or prison until you tell us...

You offer to draw a map.

G. O. Agree to you drawing a map

Your Map: As I have gone alone in there,....

Smile

06-13-2013, 03:54 AM,
Sparrow, you <i>nailed</i> it!

But seriously, tax implications are not going to dissuade me from bringing that chest home if (when) I find it.
06-13-2013, 06:53 AM,
What if it belonged to a city, that is now a ghost town?
06-13-2013, 07:16 AM,
By the way, before I forgit. I've noticed that none of the searchers have found the blaze yet. Or for that matter has discovered what the blaze is.

The way I see it, the blaze turned out to be guess what? Another olive oil bottle. In it is a note that says, "Congratulations, you have earned the right to the treasure. The only condition, is you have to bring this bottle intact to Santa Fe, to pick up your chest of gold, if for some reason I am not able to recieve you, a member of my family will know what the bottle and note mean".

So you see, if and when you are approached regarding where you found the treasure, you can be honest (LOL), and if they insist on seeing the bottle, send them to Santa Fe. Just be sure you leave the olive oil bottle with Forrest, so he can put the note in it.

Being the mistreatment that Forrest has gotten from the Feds in the past, he will love shoving this back in their faces. No need to worry about where you found the chest, just go and get it and by all means, be sure to see Fenn and return the bracelet.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What would you do with the treasure if you found it? Silentfauxfox 11 5,397 03-10-2016, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Schatzjager