Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My least favorite theory
03-23-2016, 06:11 PM,
My least favorite theory
I wanted to post one of my least favorite theories on where the treasure is. I had this theory early in 2015 and e-mailed Forrest about it (and didn’t hear back as you can imagine).

We know that Forrest is in the chase for the “long haul”. He wants people to be out and looking for many years to come. He’s hinted that the treasure will not be found accidentally, etc. Assuming that Forrest does intend for the treasure to remain hidden for quite some time, there needs to be some sort of a “barrier” keeping the treasure hidden. The “barrier” needs to be of a nature that it will clear at some point and time in the future. One potential “barrier” that would meet this criteria is Earthquake Lake. The lake was formed by the Madison slide caused by the 1959 Hebgen quake. Between 1971 and 2006, the level of Earthquake lake dropped by 5.5 feet as the power of Madison river slowly erodes the slide. At some point in the future (some estimates put the date as soon as 50 years from now), the Madison down-stream of Hebgen dam will slowly be restored to its former glory.

My specific theory: The treasure is somewhere in Earthquake Lake. While it’s not a “Slam Dunk” in any sense of the word, I feel like there’s at least sufficient “hints” for me to make this post. Among them:

"The clues did not exist when I was a kid but most of the places the clues refer to did. I think they might still exist in 100 years but the geography probably will change before we reach the next millennia."
o The earthquake happened in 1959. If the clues are related to the quake, they did not exist when Fenn was a child.
o Geologic time is SLOW. From a geologic stand-point, almost nothing changes in the span of 1,000 years. One exception: The erosion of the Hebgen quake landslide.
o Fenn has mentioned showing the Poem to a child, but doesn’t go into details as to why. Many have speculated that it’s because they have imagination, but Fenn makes it very clear how important imagination is. Perhaps he suggests this because when the child is an adult, the chest might be accessible.

Not be found accidentally. 
- Being under (up to) 190 feet of water pretty much prevents that for now.

The section of the Madison that’s now under water was known as one of the best trout fishing streams in the US. It seems likely that Forrest and his family spent time on this section of the Madison prior to 1959.

Forrest hints at time being “Cyclical”.
- The “river” had some of the best gold medal fishing in the US. In an instant, it was gone. In the future, it’ll be restored to its former glory.

"What is wrong with me just riding my bike out there and throwing it in the “water high” when I am through with it? You don’t know how many man hours I have spent on that subject."
- There needs to be a way to ride a bike from a populated place to his spot without encountering a significant elevation change. West Yellowstone to Earthquake lake fits this criteria.
- The “Water High” needs to be of sufficient size and accessibility to enable the disposal of a bicycle (water tanks, etc, are out).

Crayton Fenn
- He’s an expert on under-water equipment. He has ROVs, Side-Scanning Sonar, and other such equipment.
- Scrap Book one-hundred-eleven includes a photo of Crayton under water with a treasure chest. (http://dalneitzel.com/wp-content/uploads.../chest.jpg)
- In TTOTC, Forrest mentions Skippy ending up in “90 feet of water” when he died.

"The Treasure Chest is wet"

Do I think this is the correct theory? I hope not! That said, I'm interested in feedback, thoughts, etc.
03-23-2016, 06:29 PM,
RE: My least favorite theory
(03-23-2016, 06:11 PM)pconnors Wrote: ...We know that Forrest is in the chase for the “long haul”. He wants people to be out and looking for many years to come...

I think this is a very misleading assumption.
03-23-2016, 06:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-23-2016, 06:36 PM by The Count.)
Very unlikely that's where the treasure is and you left out the comment about how Forrest could go back and get it if he wanted.

I've seen too many solve that don't seem to have much to do with the poem.

No wonder why it's you lest favorite how about you tell us your best?
03-23-2016, 06:51 PM,
(03-23-2016, 06:34 PM)The Count Wrote: Very unlikely that's where the treasure is and you left out the comment about how Forrest could go back and get it if he wanted.

True, but when you have a nephew who owns a company that specializes in locating and retrieving things underwater, how difficult would that be?

I've shared my best on here in the past ("My Precise Solution") Wink.
03-23-2016, 07:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-23-2016, 07:03 PM by The Count.)
(03-23-2016, 06:51 PM)pconnors Wrote:
(03-23-2016, 06:34 PM)The Count Wrote: Very unlikely that's where the treasure is and you left out the comment about how Forrest could go back and get it if he wanted.

True, but when you have a nephew who owns a company that specializes in locating and retrieving things underwater, how difficult would that be?

There are other comments that Fenn made that would not validate this solve
"If I was standing where the chest is"...
And didn't he say something like no special tools required and a child could WALK up to it with a little help. I could probably go on and on.

The only thing this solve does have going for it is a line from the poem "your effort will be worth the cold".

So many create solves from comments and questions but always pick and choose which ones they want to use.
03-23-2016, 07:14 PM,
(03-23-2016, 07:01 PM)The Count Wrote:

And didn't he say something like no special tools required and a child could WALK up to it with a little help. I could probably go on and on.

The only thing this solve does have going for it is a line from the poem "your effort will be worth the cold".

So many create solves from comments and questions but always pick and choose which ones they want to use.

Very true on all of your points. He did say to bring a flashlight and a sandwich (not that you would need them).

What if Time is an aspect of the search and poem? At some time in the future, when the chest is uncovered, perhaps all of those statements will be accurate, but not today?

*Don’t be impatient, the treasure chest isn’t

*It will be there for as long as time has to come, or until you find it

Forrest has also made comments that people aren't looking "AT the right spot". Perhaps the right spot to be at is a time in the future when the geography/geology has changed?
03-23-2016, 07:25 PM,
Some one is looking in the right place but not AT the
right spot.
03-23-2016, 07:39 PM,
(03-23-2016, 07:14 PM)pconnors Wrote:
(03-23-2016, 07:01 PM)The Count Wrote:

Very true on all of your points. He did say to bring a flashlight and a sandwich (not that you would need them).

What if Time is an aspect of the search and poem? At some time in the future, when the chest is uncovered, perhaps all of those statements will be accurate, but not today?

*Don’t be impatient, the treasure chest isn’t

*It will be there for as long as time has to come, or until you find it

Forrest has also made comments that people aren't looking "AT the right spot". Perhaps the right spot to be at is a time in the future when the geography/geology has changed?
I once had a theory about the poem that had to do with time, it has to do with a way to understand the clues within the poem using a timeline. It's one I've abandon but go back to every now and than. I can explain if you would like? But it does take some imagination.
03-23-2016, 09:37 PM,
(03-23-2016, 07:39 PM)The Count Wrote: I once had a theory about the poem that had to do with time, it has to do with a way to understand the clues within the poem using a timeline. It's one I've abandon but go back to every now and than. I can explain if you would like? But it does take some imagination.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I would love to hear it! When I make posts like this, it's generally to get some creative juices flowing, etc. Good ideas are usually built upon earlier ideas, etc...
03-23-2016, 09:39 PM,
I had keyed a great note, and hit the wrong key and it disappeared . Too bad. Anyhow I have looked around there, but not In The water. Good idea, hope it's in shallow water.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite Airplane Mindy 9 1,694 03-04-2018, 02:50 AM
Last Post: knighterrant
  Your Favorite Searcher's post Top Secret 17 2,248 01-27-2018, 04:52 PM
Last Post: Timraywa
  Your Favorite Forrest Fenn post Top Secret 15 1,651 01-26-2018, 06:31 AM
Last Post: crazyfamily
  Fenn's Favorite Poet? Marty McFly 7 2,729 09-21-2016, 02:00 PM
Last Post: Seeker9
  Forrest's favorite Beer (Physical Clues) fabjr71 2 1,049 09-03-2016, 05:57 PM
Last Post: azuredeb