Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snow place for biddies
04-24-2016, 02:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-24-2016, 02:05 AM by Chris Yates.)
Brick  Snow place for biddies
old biddy = old hag?

Hag has come to mean in english either ugly old woman or witch/sorceress

Biddies are mentioned in 2 ttotc chapters. The first time in Important Literature, it says “borderline biddies”

The idea of boundaries is in the word origin of Hag. Old english Haga meaning enclosure or portion of woodland designated for cutting. Witches and ghosts were referred to literally as hedge riders.

The other chapter mentioning old biddies, the phrase from the poem “no place” is used in the chapter title, No Place for Biddies

This poem line I believe is hinting at “snow” were it says ..it ’ S NO place for the meek

I think the phrase “no place” was therefore chosen for this chapter title because one thing SNOw is hinting at here in the poem is snow white, and in ‘no place for biddies’, biddy is referring to Hag

In the recent posting from F, he mentions “snow” and “enemy”. I believe he is hinting at line 9 of the poem where there are hints of Sno and Foe. Snow White and her Enemy the old hag/ witch who is also her stepmother the evil queen

Or the enemy relationship could be also be stated the other way. The evil queen saw Snow White as her enemy. You know the story, who was the fairest in the land, magic mirror tells her one day that its no longer the queen

Just as an aside, There are places in the poem where there are letters arranged such that Witch and Queen are being hinted at, imo, but im not going to mix that into this post

One of the more obvious places to me I see a hint at Hag is in HAve Gone

There are also other elements of the Snow White story that can be seen in the poem, I kind of hate to share it to be honest though. If you use a little logic and imagination it can be seen in the poem, imo

In the chapter “no place for biddies” there is a drawing where people are wearing hats that I think somewhat resemble what the evil queen of the disney movie wears

http://s31.postimg.org/lgc4jxpjv/evilqueenbiddies.jpg
04-24-2016, 02:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-24-2016, 02:30 AM by deb.)
RE: Snow place for biddies
He has also used old biddy as a term for a chicken. I wasn't aware of that usage of the word at the time, it surprised me.

The old biddy said he couldn't cross the road alone. Why did the chicken cross the road ? To get to the other side. Boundaries ? Hmmm
Shhh they aren't listening.
04-24-2016, 10:14 AM,
(04-24-2016, 05:43 AM)DeeepThnkr Wrote:
(04-24-2016, 02:27 AM)deb Wrote: He has also used old biddy as a term for a chicken. I wasn't aware of that usage of the word at the time, it surprised me.

The old biddy said he couldn't cross the road alone. Why did t1he chicken cross the road ? To get to the other side. Boundaries ? Hmmm
Very good, I wonder how close you are to me. Let me drop some observations and connections I just realized.
1. The 9 clues when solved have only 1 thing in common, there could be more but bare with me.
I don't mean red, etc. The commonality looped back to hint he dropped weeks ago,missed the point and Red Herring'd myself. I walked right on by...sound familiar?

2. Subsequent research lead me to site where a person's name and email address contains 1 of the big 9(one which I haven't heard mentioned ANYWHERE online), a specific word obtained from a cipher that used 2 words(the initail connection of Big 9) that helped me obtain the commonality above and the subject of this site will IMO be VIP to the finding the chest

3. I call this a confirmation point
Deep, you should become a Fortune Teller, if you arent one already. Youre a natural.

I especially like "the 9 clues have only one thing in common, there could be more". When you use the word ONLY, there cant be more. You literally contradicted yourself within a commas length.

I really cant tell if youre just yanking peoples chains, or if you are serious. Because you really dedicate allot of time to lengthy posts, just like this one, that really go in circles and say almost nothing. And what you do say is already established fact.

Did you really dive into some canister on camera? Charter a helicopter? Get your "Lexus" stuck in the snow? Or is all that just creative figments of an overactive imagination for entertainment purposes of posting?
04-24-2016, 05:15 PM,
(04-24-2016, 05:03 PM)NTMI Wrote: So then nobody but me thinks that he's referring to bidets?

LOL Good one.
04-24-2016, 06:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-24-2016, 07:15 PM by ThrillChaser.)
(04-24-2016, 02:03 AM)Chris Yates Wrote: old biddy = old hag?

Chris, thanks for sharing your biddy hint interpretation.

I don't know what is hinted at by 'biddy/biddies', but I do suspect it is a hint to something, and I'd love to discover its meaning.

Using the rules I've discovered, it could be hinting at an alternate definition (generally from the default google definition), a prefix-word (like 'bid'), or a homonym (?no examples?), or maybe a regional mispronunciation of another word (also no examples, though something like 'tree-fiddy' comes to mind, though it doesn't appear to directly apply here). There are certainly other rules that I haven't discovered.

Your "biddy = hag", "hag = witch" is seemingly a two-level association without providing any source from where the first association is defined. While I understand that "biddy" could be interpreted as "hag", I'm saying that based on the rules I've discovered, that is (generally, if not exclusively) not how I solve hints in this puzzle. It would be a very solid association in my mind, if he had just said "old hags" and from that to infer "witches" (because Google definition says so). Why didn't he?

One of my implicit rules is "don't make loose associations out of thin air" - that is, make sure you have a source for where the association you're making comes from. I believe this is a level of discipline that he has used in (most if not) all of his puzzles. The source could be a map, or dictionary, or something else, old or new, but most likely searchable on the internet.

Undoubtedly this restriction prevents me from making some correct associations for which I haven't already discovered rules. "Rule discovery" can be difficult. But the flip-side of that coin is that it prevents me from going down loose-association rabbit holes, and there are too many of those to count, so on the whole I believe the restriction benefits me. I know a lot of people think a lot of the ideas I present are just rabbit holes - but at least I can tell you that I discovered each of them using a very specific set of rules.

Edit to add: I also really like the "mirror, mirror on the wall" association, to Snow White. I had never thought of that one. I just don't necessarily like the method that you got there.

2nd edit to add:

biddy also biddie
noun
Slang. An ugly, frightening old woman:
beldam, crone, hag, witch.
Archaic: trot.

So maybe you're on to something.

3rd edit, taking this a step further, using my "find words in TTOTC" rule:

Preface: -----------------"mirror"
Teachers with Ropes:"on the wall"

Looking pretty good there, though two instances of "mirror" in TTOTC would be stronger.

Preface/Totem Cafe--"who's"
no instance of:---------"fairest"
Flywater:----------------"them all"

If the exact words for "Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who's the fairest of them all" could be found in TTOTC, I'd call this a slam dunk. As it stands I think its somewhere south of strong, but probably worth looking in to.

And of course there's the blog post on OSFTC titled "Mirror on my Bathroom Wall."
04-25-2016, 05:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-25-2016, 05:47 PM by Chris Yates.)
thrill chaser. thanks for sharing some of those thoughts. for the purposes of blog commenting, i say things to have discussion. but that doesnt reflect how i would establish something as a clue

i am interested in possible connections from biddy to hag, which is why i brought it up, but i wouldnt establish a clue by trying to bring up enough convincing connections.

im saying i dont start with a word or idea in the book to find a clue, to clarify. the connections with biddy are nice, for example, and you bought up some i didnt think of, but you probably already know that could be done with lots of other things that arent going to be clues

in this case, i see hag emerging as a clue in the poem and thats where it starts for me. the connection to biddy would then be, like reverse engineering, or "recognition" after the fact. because i think most maybe all hints in the book were written like that by Forrest.

i doubt anyone can start with one of them and recognize it, starting with just that hint in the book. like in the case of biddy, i never would have been reading the book, saw the word biddy/biddies and thought to myself, i think Forrest may be hinting at Hag! you know what i mean?

there is a basic clue pattern in the poem, imo, that isnt difficult but its very important

you have to know what to do with the info, what is the consistent pattern and why

Snow place for the meek is just that. its a Snow place, and its not for the meek

warm waters halt, because it freezes and becomes snow.

there may be capital B's involved

no place for the meek will be cold. and looking down you will see a lot, since most everything is below you

knew is to know as snew is to snow

maybe the poem is self referential in that "is it" connects us to "it is" (it's)

it's no .... so why is it ... sno + sow = snow?

sow why has phonetic similarities to snow whi te
04-25-2016, 06:07 PM,
These last couple posts are jokes , right?
04-25-2016, 06:21 PM,
I like the critical thinking. Whether correct or not, this is one of,the more substantive posts as of late.
04-25-2016, 08:15 PM,
(04-25-2016, 05:40 PM)Chris Yates Wrote: Snow place for the meek is just that. its a Snow place, and its not for the meek

I guess I better step on it.
04-26-2016, 10:41 PM,
i found these definitions under Hag (2) (noun)

an overhang of peat.
a soft place on a moor or a firm place in a bog.

there is an intersection of "bog" and "peat" in the poem ( i think i showed this to Mindy one time )

according to Wiki, a Hag is "a wizened old woman .."

wizened means shriveled or wrinkled with age

there may be a hint in the poem with "wise and", sounding similar to wizened

another thing that caught my attention is "send" may be intended here as well

wi se X nd ..... or wise send perhaps

i wouldnt normally notice this much less think anything of it, but there is something in the next line of the poem that is code for essentially, "how many messages do you have to send?"

there are supporting hints imo on pages 92 93

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Bronze chest in snow ser 4 702 01-09-2018, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Copper
  Aberrations and Why Biddies Bother Me Poptart 14 3,366 09-24-2017, 11:16 PM
Last Post: prehistoric
  Interactive Snow depth map Minnie Eftskin 2 1,225 03-09-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Timraywa
  Be safe in the snow folks Parzival 4 1,376 02-05-2017, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Parzival
  No place for old biddies Timraywa 0 823 08-15-2016, 05:07 PM