Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is it about poker?
10-06-2013, 10:42 AM,
What is it about poker?
Chris Y, I'll see your Tongue 8O :o :x 8-) Smile :? and raise you Sad :| Wink .

Are people without an understanding much less appreciation of poker at a disadvantage in this thrill of the chase? I see the slang term for king of diamonds is man with an ax. I'll bet there are other allusions throughout the books to poker, but what I need to understand is the psychology of the game and I suppose that really can't be explained. Sad
10-06-2013, 10:49 AM,
What is it about poker?
I see there's cow term used in poker A player with whom one is sharing a buy-in, with the intent to split the result after play. To "go cow" is to make such an arrangement. And then there is horse, I kinda like that term. When a player is part of a poker game with someone else’s money, s/he is known as the horse. The person hasn’t quite stolen the money to play, but is sponsored by someone who has the money for the game. The horse is generally a person who is a professional player or someone who is just good enough to play really well. In the event of a win, the person sponsoring the horse keeps a major share of the money while the horse gets her/his share as well, from the winnings. hmm, what is just good enough to play really well, that seems subjective.
10-06-2013, 04:18 PM,
What is it about poker?
Walk is also a poker term. A walk occurs when all players fold, or choose not to play and the hand is won by the player who has the big blind. So basically the big blind wins the blinds as well as the antes uncontested, as all other players have decided to fold, or walk. A walk is also known as a ground skinner. hmm...
10-06-2013, 04:27 PM,
What is it about poker?
Life skills poker will and will not teach you. http://www.pokertips.org/weekly.shuffle/...2013-09-15

how to make decisions with limited information. I see my problem now.
10-07-2013, 02:17 PM,
What is it about poker?
I love studying poker, it's a fascinating game. I'm not a very good player, but it has taught me at least one valuable lesson: Don't be results oriented. Make sure your process beforehand is sound and let the cards fall where they may.

I went on a search this summer, didn't find the chest of course, but my reasonings were fine. Looking back, my assumptions were solid. My preparedness was adequate. I will go on another search if I find a new spot that matches up as well as the spots I checked.
10-12-2013, 05:11 AM,
What is it about poker?
on that poem about poker on page 5 , all other versions that i find including the song do not mention the Joker, this appears to be something added by Fenn

if there is a connection to the chase, it is probably what he added , the Joker

dont know what it means but

Im All IN .../ (pushes chips)

your move 8-)

10-12-2013, 02:31 PM,
What is it about poker?
One way to look at this chase is...The chase is the game, Mr. Fenn is the dealer, we have our cards, and we are playing his game whether we like it or not!

I did find a single word in TFTW that does relate in a way and suddenly two lines of the poem made perfect sense where I had been having trouble finding a fit to a solve. Guess I will be forced to make a NM trip in the spring or early summer to find out if I'm right. So @Chris-Yates...I call Smile Smile

And the dealer simply shakes his head with a knowing smile. Smile Wink

12-03-2013, 11:45 PM,
What is it about poker?
It's common to past the time away in the military, with Pool & Poker! FF said, he won the small silver bracelet playing pool. So he must have some skills with both of these. It's my thinking that Pool is won, all by skill & poker by both skill and an element of chance! It's not so much the 4 cards Finn is talking about in the hand your dealt. He may be saying, it's more important how you choose to deal with the Joker, (maybe cancer) rather than just excepting it, like it or not. So for us, I don't think we're being deal any element of luck or chance in the chase, cause Forest is doing the dealing! Makes sense to me! RP
12-04-2013, 12:29 AM,
What is it about poker?

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from BCO on October 6, 2013, 11:42 am</b>

Chris Y, I'll see your Tongue 8O :o :x 8-) Smile :? and raise you Sad :| Wink .

Are people without an understanding much less appreciation of poker at a disadvantage in this thrill of the chase? I see the slang term for king of diamonds is man with an ax. I'll bet there are other allusions throughout the books to poker, but what I need to understand is the psychology of the game and I suppose that really can't be explained. Sad
</div>

ALL I know about poker is the bluff and that's why I can't play poker Sad Sad Sad Sad

Guess I'll go pull the slots now......
12-17-2013, 03:27 PM,
What is it about poker?
I totally zoned out on this one....