Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Have the Chest. Your PLan
05-02-2016, 11:44 AM,
You Have the Chest. Your PLan
Really - let's spell it out... Do you go on a speaking tour? Be very public? Try to make a career out of being a champion puzzle solver/creative? Do you stay completely anonymous? How do you turn it into $? Anonymous auction?

How much does one make from an appearance on something like the Today show? How much money do you think you could actually generate in income simply by being the guy or gal who found the chest?

Let's hash this out I'm curious to hear your ideas.
05-02-2016, 12:12 PM,
RE: You Have the Chest. Your PLan
Hard to say. I think part of this depends on Forrest. At least for me it does. Ill cross that bridge when I get there. Hope there are no alligators.
05-02-2016, 12:21 PM,
(05-02-2016, 12:13 PM)Ricky Nowak Wrote: Some rambling ideasSmile

The Today Show isn't going to pay you to be on............You don't charge anyone in the media, it's free marketing time for youSmile

You should at least have a web site set up and go from there...........You could sell a coin at weight of the gold plus a spot price shipping /handling insurance. I would charge $50+ the price of Gold........

I'm not going to jack up the price of a Fenn coin to make money........One guy on EBay is selling a $200 dollar arrowhead of Fenn's for $3000. Talk about a price jack........

You should get Dal or Mindy to ghost write a book for you.........

You should set yourself as a business and keep your receipts and time spent on this for tax purposes. I would be reporting $40,000 just in hours spent....

I have LTD set up that let's me do just that......Taxes find the best legal way to get them down.....

More thoughts?
Good thoughts.
05-02-2016, 12:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-02-2016, 12:52 PM by Gordon Lightfoot.)
As much as I like Gold and pretty things (must be the gay thing), I wish that F had just put cash into the chest....half a million....a million. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but to convert that gold into cash is going to take some doing. You have the IRS tracking transactions all over the place to make sure that they get their share, wherever you find it they will want to get involved like it's theirs and not Fenn's Gold who he rightfully gave to the searcher(s) who found it. You have going home and possibly being stop by the Highway or City Cops and if they find it in your procession they are going to want to see receipts of proof of ownership, or they will cease it in a heartbeat, and the Gold will go to whatever county to buy new squad cars...and the list goes on and on. I think about stuff like that...the headaches. But, I am grateful for the opportunity to find it, but just wish that it was more liquid, like cash in the chest. I really just want to hang on to it, but you know, life happens, and bills have to get paid.
05-02-2016, 01:24 PM,
(05-02-2016, 12:49 PM)Gordon Lightfoot Wrote: As much as I like Gold and pretty things (must be the gay thing), I wish that F had just put cash into the chest....half a million....a million. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but to convert that gold into cash is going to take some doing. You have the IRS tracking transactions all over the place to make sure that they get their share, wherever you find it they will want to get involved like it's theirs and not Fenn's Gold who he rightfully gave to the searcher(s) who found it. You have going home and possibly being stop by the Highway or City Cops and if they find it in your procession they are going to want to see receipts of proof of ownership, or they will cease it in a heartbeat, and the Gold will go to whatever county to buy new squad cars...and the list goes on and on. I think about stuff like that...the headaches. But, I am grateful for the opportunity to find it, but just wish that it was more liquid, like cash in the chest. I really just want to hang on to it, but you know, life happens, and bills have to get paid.

Yah! The nerve of him, how dare he take his own money an buy jewels and gold and put it in an expensive box for us all to find for free! What was that selfish farging icehole thinking!!!!?
05-02-2016, 01:36 PM,
@The Wolf

I said that I was grateful!!! When I find it this Summer, I'll just have to work around it..that's all.
05-02-2016, 01:43 PM,
Did you know that selling American Gold Eagle coins is a tax-exempt transaction? That means you can sell American Eagle and Double Eagle coins (assuming they are not minted in 1933), and no one has to tell the government, ever. And, there is no limit on the number that you can sell at one time.

Who says you didn't find those coins clearing out dear old grandma's house a few years back? Also, no one said you have to sell everything all at once.

Who would buy a book about a guy who found Fenn's treasure? Probably other treasure hunters. News shows don't pay for stories that aren't main interviews with Barbara Walters. You might make some money off of the book in the beginning, but your cut of it won't be as high as you think.

Maybe the chest was never intended as a get-rich-quick scheme, but more as a way to supply the Indulgences in life, hence the name. If you only spend a few coins here or there, how would anyone ever know it was you who found it?

If you do the math, the gold weight in the chest is only worth about a half a million, and that is rounding up. If you come forward as the finder, the government wants half. But, how do you know what half is? You have to hire experts to give value to each item, and each ancient relic requires a different expert. I looked it up, and it would run between $40,000 and $60,000 to pay for all the appraisals. That is out of pocket money.

Aside from everything I just listed, Forrest had to call 911 on 3 separate occasions last year - and he has told people time and again that the chest is not at his house. Imagine how crazy people would get if they THOUGHT they knew where you stashed it after you found it?

Finally, that bracelet is only worth about $500. What happens if the chest isn't found for 10 years, and Forrest is no longer around to pay you for it's return? Don't count on a quick check for that.
05-02-2016, 01:47 PM,
Great post, JamLady.
05-02-2016, 02:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-03-2016, 07:43 AM by jamesbrohamalambage.)
why say anything to the public? let mr fenn work his magic pay him for his services like any one else. take advice from the teacher with years experience. move into a new house, buy a new riding lawnmower or not, maybe a telescope, new waders without a hole in them. and learn how to fly-fish from the guide i hired . can it get any better that that. pretty simple huh. enjoy life for once-jimbo or what ricky and the jam lady says. decisions, decisions. and give mr fenn his bracelet back so he can give it to mica- (i hope i spelled her name right)
05-02-2016, 02:51 PM,
(05-02-2016, 01:47 PM)LostFound Wrote: Great post, JamLady.

I agree, good to see a post that makes complete sense.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Plan Riddlemethat 6 700 07-23-2018, 08:58 AM
Last Post: Riddlemethat
  I don't plan to tell anyone... jdigginsz 4 1,819 12-08-2016, 12:57 PM
Last Post: jdigginsz
  If Fenn went with the original plan Hammertime 6 2,526 11-27-2016, 03:28 PM
Last Post: Hammertime
  Do you have a Plan B when on a search trip? GoneAlone 10 4,323 07-17-2016, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Woody Bogg
  Urgency is not a good plan to fallow Buddy Allen 11 7,059 04-10-2016, 10:41 PM
Last Post: will197532