Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread a Tract...?
10-13-2013, 09:24 PM,
Thread a Tract...?
Any ideas for an interpretation of Forrest's line in his note introducing the map? "...and thread a tract through the wiles of nature and circumstance to the treasure."

For me, it sounds like a line that belongs with the poem (vague and confusing)... maybe he realized after the book was published an he read it again that it contained more info than he intended and is thus the unintentional clue he referred to? Why not throw another log on the fire for that topic... 8O

I looked up the definitions of all the words and tried to form a semi-coherent statement out of it. I get something about making your way through an either defined or undefined area where you will be tricked/deceived by the elements of nature (mountains, trees, animals, rivers) and something about how each thing will accompany, be a condition, or determine the next. I have concluded that it pretty much sounds like what most of us have experienced when attempting a search; out wandering about and getting deceived by what we thought were the clues... Smile

Going beyond a basic attempt at understanding this line and definitions of each of the words, I am beginning to think that perhaps there might be more to it than there appears.
10-13-2013, 10:22 PM,
Thread a Tract...?
I think the key word in that sentence is tract.
10-13-2013, 10:53 PM,
Thread a Tract...?

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from mike on October 13, 2013, 11:22 pm</b>

I think the key word in that sentence is tract.
</div>

So do I... I found some very pertinent information yesterday related to this word that was a huge confirmation for me and the area I have focused in on. I will say that it lends to the area being within a very defined location and not an indefinite stretch of land.
10-14-2013, 12:27 AM,
Thread a Tract...?
Where the Warm Waters Halt?[Image: edit?usp=sharing]
10-14-2013, 09:14 AM,
Thread a Tract...?
Concerning the image tyounis...been checking out that area by satellite view and going down the Rio Grande canyon...is it evident as well that heavy loads, water high, been wise(Woodsy owl), and blaze(no camp fires) can all be found on road signs or in parks...Just thought I'd throw that out there, I'm sure everyone has seen these signs...
10-14-2013, 10:52 AM,
Thread a Tract...?
Yes, "threading a tract" is a notable phrase by Forrest. It's the only location in tftw where he speaks of the treasure, and apparently he really wanted to make it sound enticing and adventurous for everyone.

There are several definitions of tract, including several religious ones which may have caught Mike's eye (eh?). But I think Forrest is likely using the more common one, as in threading (fine) a tract (larger area) of both nature and circumstance. jcm's mention of a tract referring to a defined area rather than an indefinite stretch of land follows from the general use of tract in discussion and professional use of the term. The choice of "circumstance" is very Fenn-speak, and can be interpreted broadly.

I think it is most interesting that Forrest mentions his book TTOTC here but does not mention the poem specifically, even though the poem makes a reappearance beside his map in a re-vamped format and font (and very slight change to the text- the missing "s"). This entire pull-out section has virtually everything you might need. Forrest could even take the pull-out and create a handy "tract" of it to pass out to everyone...

SYand42lbsHeavier,

Halogetter
10-14-2013, 12:30 PM,
Thread a Tract...?
Notice the word circumstance, it's just another way of saying, epic journey.
10-14-2013, 06:07 PM,
Thread a Tract...?
Yes, Halo, I like the Bible tract theory and also the word "thread"...and the words "wiles of nature." I think he's possibly talking about the wiles of human nature here. And the word thread, of course, reminds me of a Bible verse.
11-03-2013, 07:03 AM,
Thread a Tract...?
Threading a tract is synonymous with a pleasant experience, like threading the eye of a needle, a narrow well defined course.
11-03-2013, 03:31 PM,
Thread a Tract...?
The problem with playing the 6 degrees of Forrest Fenn is that every word leads to 6 more and so... Forrest keeps telling us that only the poem matters and that TTOTC has subtle hints if you can find them. When you take words directly from sentences I don't think it's being subtle. The words and subjects are not the keys to this, it's the subtle meanings and lessons that are the keys.

That's why they are subtle hints and not direct clues. If he was giving out direct clues it would have been found by now.

But I'm sure others think differently and so they will be searching the upper pyramidial tracts outside of Santa Fe.