Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Krootz Montana Thread
10-26-2013, 02:56 PM,
Krootz Montana Thread
Hey Everyone Smile, so I've been doing alot of research on Glacier National Park, one of my top two potential places.

So, Where warm water halts. Obviously glacier national park fits well into this, frozen water and all. I really like this start to the poem, as most "where warm water halts" clues are places that very easily are in hundreds of spots along the rockies. Hot springs, god knows how many hot springs there are in the Rockies. Dams, ect. It all seems so very vague, and I think Forrest really needed this clue to be an exact, specific spot. Even if Glacier is a quite general location, it gives a good starting spot.

From there, take it in the canyon down. Take Glacier road via car. Put in below the home of Brown. Now here there's two possible spots I have found. One being Mount Brown, the Other Mount Cleaveland (home of Browns). I lean towards Mount Brown as it fits the clues better personally, but figured I'd throw those out there for others to look at and maybe notice something I didn't.

Below the Home of Mount Brown is Snyder lake 1 and 2. Looking via google maps, you can see those lakes are covered in fallen trees, as the whole area is a giant bowl and trees essentially fall into the lake. So go up Snyder creek (without a paddle, you'll hike alongside it though - not through it ; ). From there, I was thinking it could either be inside a tree that is near shore, perhaps one that has been there for awhile. You have to think, with waters that cold, I doubt much decomposition goes on. Trees in those waters would essentially become petrified wood after quite a bit of more trees piling on top, ect over thousands of years.

So essentially, Snyder Lake, inside a log / fallen tree somewhere.... The Trees would also preserve the chest once petrified though that may take too long and the chest would get quite tarnished in the process.

Also, on top of Mount Brown is a fire watch tower. A "blaze lookout" tower. If you found the blaze, look quickly down. Looking down would put you at roughly looking out towards lake McDonald, and if you turned left about 45-90 degrees, looking right at the canyon for Snyder lake.

Let me know what you think, I'll be donning my sealskin slacks and boots in the Spring / Summer 2014' to search this lakes.

- Krootz
10-26-2013, 02:57 PM,
Krootz Montana Thread
On a side note, Forrest did say it was associated with no structures, so a blaze lookout tower might not be the actual "blaze". However there was a fire in Montana, around Mt Brown in the late 80's / early 90's, coincidentally right around when Forrest was going to first hide the treasure. I suppose we don't know if the location changed from then to now, but I doubt it did.

Thought I'd add that!

- Krootz
10-26-2013, 03:46 PM,
Krootz Montana Thread
@krootz:

I’ve always liked the idea of WWWH being a glacier…….there are many named glaciers in the Rocky Mountains.

As far as petrified wood goes, my wife and I visited the Petrified Forrest/Painted Desert National Park this summer on our way back from Texas. Actually, the petrifaction process can happen much faster than most think.

Here is probably a lot more than you want to know about petrified wood, but I thought it was interesting:

--The Petrified Forest is known for its fossils, especially fallen trees that lived in the Late Triassic, about 225 million years ago. The sediments containing the fossil logs are part of the widespread and colorful Chinle Formation, from which the Painted Desert gets its name.

It is the result of a tree or tree-like plants having completely transitioned to stone by the process of permineralization. All the organic materials have been replaced with minerals (mostly a silicate, such as quartz), while retaining the original structure of the stem tissue. Unlike other types of fossils which are typically impressions or compressions, petrified wood is a three-dimensional representation of the original organic material. The petrifaction process occurs underground, when wood becomes buried under sediment and is initially preserved due to a lack of oxygen which inhibits aerobic decomposition. Mineral-laden water flowing through the sediment deposits minerals in the plant's cells; as the plant's lignin and cellulose decay, a stone mould forms in its place. The organic matter needs to become petrified before it decomposes completely. A forest where such material has petrified becomes known as a petrified forest.

The rate of petrifaction is not exactly known. In some cases it may be fairly rapid. For example, mine timbers have been partly petrified after a few years' exposure to mineral-laden water. Most petrified wood was formed long ago.

"The July 2004 issue of Sedimentary Geology included a paper by five Japanese scientists reporting their experiments on the rapid petrification of wood as an indication that silicified wood (fossilized by impregnation with silica) found in ancient strata must likewise have been rapidly petrified.

After noting that "several researchers believe that several millions of years are necessary for the complete formation of silicified wood," these authors state:

Snelling (1995) reviewed previous laboratory experiments, silica deposition of wood at Yellowstone National Park and various reports of natural petrification, and concluded that wood can be rapidly petrified by silicification under the right chemical conditions."--

[Image: 4fw5g-tex104.jpg]
10-26-2013, 03:59 PM,
Krootz Montana Thread
Very cool! Definitely didn't know it took that long, I expected my initial guess to be way off, but didn't bother to look it up before I posted.

I suppose there are quite a few glaciers in the Rocky Mountains - making it hard to find an exact one to start at. That's why I started at Glacier national park instead, and tried to find the Home of Brown from there.

I feel like the problem is that in looking at a lot of places I can make out tons of imaginative ways Forrest could of created his clues. I feel like while the clues can line up quite well, I don't ever feel 100% certain it is there. But with how it Forrest makes it seem, when the clues line up I should 100% know I've hit the nail on the head. Meh, just a little stumped in trying to find some new places other than what I've come up with.
10-26-2013, 04:02 PM,
Krootz Montana Thread
I think part of my problem too is I come up with these locations I want to go, but I can't seem to find the time because I'm not 100% certain. It's a weird irony of this riddle, I want something definite, some location I'm dead positive on before I head out to.

Maybe that'll never happen, and exploring is the only way to truly know.
10-26-2013, 04:33 PM,
Krootz Montana Thread

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from krootz on October 26, 2013, 5:02 pm</b>

I think part of my problem too is I come up with these locations I want to go, but I can't seem to find the time because I'm not 100% certain. It's a weird irony of this riddle, I want something definite, some location I'm dead positive on before I head out to.
</div>

I know exactly what you mean. I have felt that very same way about most of my locations.

A couple of nights ago I had an epiphany (a usually sudden manifestation or perception of the essential nature or meaning of something). Yes...I had to look that word up to make sure I was using the right one! 8-)

I knew I was on the right track but the clues just weren't lining up. Frustrating. I turned my computer off and started getting ready for bed. Then... it hit me. WHAM! I went back to my office, turned my computer back on and looked at Google Earth (for the 1000th time)and there it was...I had been looking at things in the wrong direction! (yes, blonde hair)

Long story, short...All of the clues line up. I know the general location of the treasure. I just don't know the "blaze". And that, I suppose I will find when I get there. It is a large area and may take several trips. But I KNOW it IS there.

So, let me just share this with you:

1.) Forrest means what he says when he says "Don't mess with the poem". I have learned this from messing with it too many times and getting really turned around.

2.) DO pay attention to what he says. He is not leading us astray with his spoken word.

3.) Think outside of the box.

Happy Hunting Everyone!

10-26-2013, 04:40 PM,
Krootz Montana Thread
@Krootz:

I really like the glaciers in the Wind River Range in Wyoming, I’ve been there a few times but I haven’t made it work yet.

I’ve made well over a hundred trips over the years and can make the poem fit just about any place. I work in the Rockies so I’ve made the poem fit where I was going, kind of like folks do to Yellowstone. But I have yet to come up with a solution and said “that’s it”, and take off searching…….I know from traveling the Rockies for over 40 years what most find out the hard way……The west is vast and even a small area on a map without a very specific location could take months or even years to thoroughly search.

Maybe I know too much…….and it’s keeping me from finding the chest.

10-26-2013, 05:30 PM,
Krootz Montana Thread
Here's a discussion that will solve the meaning to the poem. (IMO) One word I'll add, just for conversational purpose.

Pinedale.
10-27-2013, 12:24 AM,
Krootz Montana Thread
@Goofy "The west is vast and even a small area on a map without a very specific location could take months or even years to thoroughly search."

Yeah, that's what is so very scary about this whole thing honestly. I mean, I'm a big free market guy and to me this is like hitting the lottery. You do have alot more of an advantage, as there are clues, but you're also at the mercy of being psychologically bound to your perception. Getting into Forrest's perception of words, meanings, how he wanted the poem to be understood, what is a clue, ect. is all very tricky. That coupled with what you said about how Vast the Rockies are truly makes me think I'd be wasting my time. But, pessimists usually never win either ; ). I'll be going out a few times for sure, as just looking at some of these places have made me want to visit them.

But think about if we all put our time into building earthen houses, cheap construction, instead of looking for this treasure. I think with the hours everyone has spent even thinking about this poem, we would of easily built a small town worth 10x the amount of Forrest's treasure. I suppose there's the untold positive of people getting into the wilderness, seeing nature, but I'm not sure what that is worth monetarily. Oh well lol.

@Seeker

I'll have to check out Pinedale and report back tomorrow - too late at the present to research but I'll definitely look into it.

Night everyone!
10-27-2013, 12:36 AM,
Krootz Montana Thread
Also, last thought of the night. On wasting time lol:

I believe there is a Comanche Moon (Lonesome Dove) reference on page 146 of Epilogue of the first book. I could be wrong, but I spent hours looking into Lonesome Dove, was about to watch the whole series lol. I looked at old filming locations, locations in the book, ect.

Not sure I got anywhere, but it was interesting I suppose.

- Krootz