Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
First Stanza Answer
07-16-2016, 10:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-16-2016, 10:55 PM by Mindy.)
First Stanza Answer
Okay, here's my solve for Stanza 1:

In the beginning, we had...The Thrill of the Chase, A Memoir. And that's it. That's all we had. No Dal's blog, no ChaseChat, no other blogs or websites. I'm not sure when The Old Santa Fe Website came along, but anything about the book or the poem was not there before the book.

I'm going to now show you the answer to the first clue, which is the first stanza. It's completely logical, and you will hopefully see why it's the correct answer. I'll do my best to explain. Try to read with an open mind, and for a few minutes, put aside your biases and LISTEN.

As I have gone alone in there...

Remember, in the beginning, all we had was the book. No interviews, no Scrapbooks, no Jenny Kile. So, in the book, he said he sprinkled hints throughout to help, right? So, let's look in the book and see exactly where and when he says he was alone:

Pg 15: "So now I sit here past midnight, beside my juniper fire, REFLECTING BACK TO THE YEAR WHEN MY AWARENESS TOOK ITS FIRST FEW STEPS."

Pg 27: "I was proud to have THOUGHT of that IDEA ALL BY MYSELF."

Pg 56: "It was on a long, straight stretch of road with no cars or people around anywhere...I REMEMBER sitting down for about an hour to CONSIDER my lot in life and PONDER if anything was left of my future."

Pg 78: "Later, in ones REVERIE, those MEMORIES can come sparking back when ignited by something innocently said or something THOUGHT...So it is with me now, as I sit here past midnight, ALONE WITH ONLY MYSELF TO KNOW."

Pg 97: "I remember the air was quiet, even over the large populated areas. No one was around; no one was on the radio, no one to talk to. The impersonal lights were there, but I was all alone." Immediately after that, he covered Philadelphia with his thumb, and it took him "to another dimension in my MIND, a PLACE I would not visit again until the grave marker entered my life. Years later I would meld those THOUGHTS into ONE, the sum of which would change my life."

Pg 102: "No one else can think my thoughts, so I am myself ONLY TO ME."

Pg 102: "Why do the yellow and purple flowers flourish where no one is there to see? The answer is at last obvious to me. NO ONE HAS TO SEE WHAT IS THERE...What has made me think that I had to see the beauty that is there in order to confirm its existence?"

Pg 112: "Candor requires that I admit to having touched the painting. It happened in my office WHEN NO ONE ELSE WAS AROUND...This was exciting to me, and by touching it I COULD IMAGINE, in some small way, that I was a part of that company...I feel sorry for those that don't understand THAT DEPTH OF IMAGINATION."

Pg 124: "There comes a time (maybe it's an age) when all of us REFLECT ON THE HAPPENINGS that marked our passage through the brakes and thickets of life. Most are conjured up by reverential spirits and are RESERVED FOR TIMES WHEN WE HAPPEN UPON THE SOLITUDE OF JUST OURSELVES."
"A passing mood will bring THOUGHTS of loved ones FLOATING BACK to dominate a few moments of our time. The REVERIES are too many to be counted, but each one OCCUPIES A FAR CORNER OF MY MIND, waiting for another time. I love things when they do that."

Pg 125: "Those great places, which were personal secrets to me then, are now busy with the flourish of fishermen and women....I always thought that space was mine alone, and many of the MEMORIES there bred are even now SO PERSONAL THAT THEY EXCLUDE THE INTRUSION OF STRANGERS."

So, EVERY SINGLE TIME Forrest mentions being alone in the book, it's referring to thoughts and memories. He's gone alone into his MIND as he REMEMBERS times past. "In there" refers to his memories, his mind, HIS MEMOIR.

And with my treasures bold

I can keep my secret where

And hint of riches new and old.

Pg 133: "There are other subtle clues sprinkled in the stories."

These last two lines are the clincher. When he published this book, he had no idea of the cult-like throngs of people that would be looking for the chest. He didn't know there would be the Today Show. He didn't know of the myriad of blogs that would go up. He didn't know he would write Scrapbooks and answer Jenny's questions, or have ANY idea he would have an opportunity to hand out hints.

So where did he put the hints he talked about in this stanza? There is only ONE place-- HIS MEMOIR.

Old and new:
Pg 135: " I've always had a love for history and that's why I like to collect and talk about old things."
Later in the chapter, he talks about a "secret" way of creating a bronze, which he has now revealed as the "lost wax process." He loves bringing about old ways of doing things to make something new.

Old also refers to the method to solving the clues. Notice in the following quote he does NOT say he was leaving clues on WHERE to find the treasure, but HOW to find the treasure.

Pg 129: "So I decided to fill a treasure chest with gold and jewels, then secret it -- leaving clues on HOW to find it for any searcher willing to try. It was a PERFECT MATCH OF MIND AND MOMENT."

So, the answer to stanza 1, the first clue, is HIS MEMOIR. He also tells us that the stories hint at HOW you will find the treasure, not WHERE you will find it.

It can't be anything else, because when the book was written, Forrest had no idea how big this would grow.

So, yes, you DO need the book to solve the poem. Remember, Forrest said he learned from his father that he should always tell the truth, but not always tell ALL of the truth.

When he said all you need is the poem, he is not telling ALL the truth. But all you need is to solve the first clue, stanza 1, in order to figure out what else you need.

Also, in Forrest's most recent Forrest Gets Mail, he seems to have decided now is the time to start telling all the truth in regards to his book. There are two questions there where Forrest tells the interviewer that the poem IN HIS BOOK is enough to lead a searcher to the treasure.

And Forrest has also used the recipe analogy for cake baking as an analogy for solving the poem. You can say a recipe is all you need to figure out how to make a cake. But that's not really ALL the truth, is it?

You can tell a friend to find that delicious cake recipe online, and it'll tell her how to make a cake. All she needs is the recipe, but we don't tell her what the recipe calls for, like eggs and flour. She will definitely need those too, in addition to the recipe.

But we don't need to tell her what ingredients she will also need, because those ingredients are listed IN THE RECIPE.

That is the same principle Forrest refers to in that analogy. You can't bake a cake if you leave out an ingredient. Read and follow the recipe PRECISELY, and your conglomerate of ingredients mixed together and put into an oven will turn into something useful--a cake.

"In there, he can keep his secret where and hint at riches new and old."

And if only Forrest is alive to keep his secret, where does he keep it? In his mind, which he has shared with us through what? HIS MEMOIR.

Pg 136: "My part will be very small in the big picture but huge to me."
Mindy's blogs:

http://www.fennhotspot.com
http://www.myeverwonderland.blogspot.com
07-16-2016, 11:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-17-2016, 12:46 AM by The Count.)
RE: First Stanza Answer
(07-16-2016, 10:47 PM)Mindy Wrote: , but anything about the book or the poem was not there before the book.
This statement is not accurate.

http://m.westyellowstonenews.com/communi...cf602.html

In 2008 and....
07-16-2016, 11:23 PM,
First Stanza Answer
(07-16-2016, 11:19 PM)The Count Wrote:
(07-16-2016, 10:47 PM)Mindy Wrote: , but anything about the book or the poem was not there before the book.

The poem was not out before the poem was released in the book.

If his website was made in 2000, was the Poem on the website then? My understanding is that the first people knew of the poem and treasure hunt was through the release of the book.

A couple stories were posted in the Yellowstone times, but not in relation to the treasure hunt.

I guess I should have been more exact in my words--the treasure hunt was made public through TTOTC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mindy's blogs:

07-16-2016, 11:27 PM,
First Stanza Answer
(07-16-2016, 11:24 PM)Rogue One Wrote:

Not a lot of people have the link you put up CountSmile

Also it has Fenn's old email.....ffenn@earthlink.net

Don't be fooled he has been on the net a lot longer then people realize.........

But the poem and the treasure hunt was made public at the time the book was released. The book started the whole treasure hunt craziness.

Mindy's blogs:

07-16-2016, 11:30 PM,
(07-16-2016, 11:23 PM)Mindy Wrote:

The poem was not out before the poem was released in the book.

If his website was made in 2000, was the Poem on the website then? My understanding is that the first people knew of the poem and treasure hunt was through the release of the book.

A couple stories were posted in the Yellowstone times, but not in relation to the treasure hunt.

I guess I should have been more exact in my words--the treasure hunt was made public through TTOTC.

There is one chapter that we know for sure was written very close to the release of the poem the importance of that chapter may have more subtle clues than others considering the small amount of time between that chapter and the release of his plan, just a speculation. Wink
07-17-2016, 12:11 AM,
I like how you think Mindy, but I am wondering if you have gone deep enough with that thinking. You know how everything in the poem has more than one meaning ? I think that first stanza does too. I will keep thinking , can't really talk about it like you are doing. Don't want to let out too much, in case I am right. You know how that goes.lol

Your thoughts on that first stanza made me smile.
Shhh they aren't listening.
07-17-2016, 12:26 AM,
(07-16-2016, 10:47 PM)Mindy Wrote: Okay, here's my solve for Stanza 1:

In the beginning, we had...The Thrill of the Chase, A Memoir. And that's it. That's all we had. No Dal's blog, no ChaseChat, no other blogs or websites. I'm not sure when The Old Santa Fe Website came along, but anything about the book or the poem was not there before the book.

I'm going to now show you the answer to the first clue, which is the first stanza. It's completely logical, and you will hopefully see why it's the correct answer. I'll do my best to explain. Try to read with an open mind, and for a few minutes, put aside your biases and LISTEN.

As I have gone alone in there...

Remember, in the beginning, all we had was the book. No interviews, no Scrapbooks, no Jenny Kile. So, in the book, he said he sprinkled hints throughout to help, right? So, let's look in the book and see exactly where and when he says he was alone:

Pg 15: "So now I sit here past midnight, beside my juniper fire, REFLECTING BACK TO THE YEAR WHEN MY AWARENESS TOOK ITS FIRST FEW STEPS."

Pg 27: "I was proud to have THOUGHT of that IDEA ALL BY MYSELF."

Pg 56: "It was on a long, straight stretch of road with no cars or people around anywhere...I REMEMBER sitting down for about an hour to CONSIDER my lot in life and PONDER if anything was left of my future."

Pg 78: "Later, in ones REVERIE, those MEMORIES can come sparking back when ignited by something innocently said or something THOUGHT...So it is with me now, as I sit here past midnight, ALONE WITH ONLY MYSELF TO KNOW."

Pg 97: "I remember the air was quiet, even over the large populated areas. No one was around; no one was on the radio, no one to talk to. The impersonal lights were there, but I was all alone." Immediately after that, he covered Philadelphia with his thumb, and it took him "to another dimension in my MIND, a PLACE I would not visit again until the grave marker entered my life. Years later I would meld those THOUGHTS into ONE, the sum of which would change my life."

Pg 102: "No one else can think my thoughts, so I am myself ONLY TO ME."

Pg 102: "Why do the yellow and purple flowers flourish where no one is there to see? The answer is at last obvious to me. NO ONE HAS TO SEE WHAT IS THERE...What has made me think that I had to see the beauty that is there in order to confirm its existence?"

Pg 112: "Candor requires that I admit to having touched the painting. It happened in my office WHEN NO ONE ELSE WAS AROUND...This was exciting to me, and by touching it I COULD IMAGINE, in some small way, that I was a part of that company...I feel sorry for those that don't understand THAT DEPTH OF IMAGINATION."

Pg 124: "There comes a time (maybe it's an age) when all of us REFLECT ON THE HAPPENINGS that marked our passage through the brakes and thickets of life. Most are conjured up by reverential spirits and are RESERVED FOR TIMES WHEN WE HAPPEN UPON THE SOLITUDE OF JUST OURSELVES."
"A passing mood will bring THOUGHTS of loved ones FLOATING BACK to dominate a few moments of our time. The REVERIES are too many to be counted, but each one OCCUPIES A FAR CORNER OF MY MIND, waiting for another time. I love things when they do that."

Pg 125: "Those great places, which were personal secrets to me then, are now busy with the flourish of fishermen and women....I always thought that space was mine alone, and many of the MEMORIES there bred are even now SO PERSONAL THAT THEY EXCLUDE THE INTRUSION OF STRANGERS."

So, EVERY SINGLE TIME Forrest mentions being alone in the book, it's referring to thoughts and memories. He's gone alone into his MIND as he REMEMBERS times past. "In there" refers to his memories, his mind, HIS MEMOIR.

And with my treasures bold

I can keep my secret where

And hint of riches new and old.

Pg 133: "There are other subtle clues sprinkled in the stories."

These last two lines are the clincher. When he published this book, he had no idea of the cult-like throngs of people that would be looking for the chest. He didn't know there would be the Today Show. He didn't know of the myriad of blogs that would go up. He didn't know he would write Scrapbooks and answer Jenny's questions, or have ANY idea he would have an opportunity to hand out hints.

So where did he put the hints he talked about in this stanza? There is only ONE place-- HIS MEMOIR.

Old and new:
Pg 135: " I've always had a love for history and that's why I like to collect and talk about old things."
Later in the chapter, he talks about a "secret" way of creating a bronze, which he has now revealed as the "lost wax process." He loves bringing about old ways of doing things to make something new.

Old also refers to the method to solving the clues. Notice in the following quote he does NOT say he was leaving clues on WHERE to find the treasure, but HOW to find the treasure.

Pg 129: "So I decided to fill a treasure chest with gold and jewels, then secret it -- leaving clues on HOW to find it for any searcher willing to try. It was a PERFECT MATCH OF MIND AND MOMENT."

So, the answer to stanza 1, the first clue, is HIS MEMOIR. He also tells us that the stories hint at HOW you will find the treasure, not WHERE you will find it.

It can't be anything else, because when the book was written, Forrest had no idea how big this would grow.

So, yes, you DO need the book to solve the poem. Remember, Forrest said he learned from his father that he should always tell the truth, but not always tell ALL of the truth.

When he said all you need is the poem, he is not telling ALL the truth. But all you need is to solve the first clue, stanza 1, in order to figure out what else you need.

Also, in Forrest's most recent Forrest Gets Mail, he seems to have decided now is the time to start telling all the truth in regards to his book. There are two questions there where Forrest tells the interviewer that the poem IN HIS BOOK is enough to lead a searcher to the treasure.

And Forrest has also used the recipe analogy for cake baking as an analogy for solving the poem. You can say a recipe is all you need to figure out how to make a cake. But that's not really ALL the truth, is it?

You can tell a friend to find that delicious cake recipe online, and it'll tell her how to make a cake. All she needs is the recipe, but we don't tell her what the recipe calls for, like eggs and flour. She will definitely need those too, in addition to the recipe.

But we don't need to tell her what ingredients she will also need, because those ingredients are listed IN THE RECIPE.

That is the same principle Forrest refers to in that analogy. You can't bake a cake if you leave out an ingredient. Read and follow the recipe PRECISELY, and your conglomerate of ingredients mixed together and put into an oven will turn into something useful--a cake.

"In there, he can keep his secret where and hint at riches new and old."

And if only Forrest is alive to keep his secret, where does he keep it? In his mind, which he has shared with us through what? HIS MEMOIR.

Pg 136: "My part will be very small in the big picture but huge to me."

Mindy, Mindy,....this tells us nothing about it being closer to the chest. Therefore not a clue. It's only your imagination going off into some deep rabbit hole.
07-17-2016, 12:35 AM,
This is a 100% solution?
07-17-2016, 12:36 AM,
Mindy, what happened to the "physical effort" part of your solve technique that you brought up the other day? I was thinking I was going to have to build something.
07-17-2016, 12:41 AM,
Don't be fooled he has been on the net a lot longer then people realize.........
[/quote]

That's something we agree upon.
Shhh they aren't listening.