Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dear RO/RN
07-23-2016, 10:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-23-2016, 10:31 PM by romeofoxtrot.)
Wink  Dear RO/RN
(07-23-2016, 08:44 PM)Rogue One Wrote: Your know your one of my favorite postersSmile Based on what I know you have 1500 hundred hours of research.......Give or take......

I always give everyone $20 a hourSmile So that would be 1500 x $20.00 = $30,000.00

Think you have taken a trip to Yellowstone? Oh heck let's throw in $2000 for $32,000.00

Any ways your now saying you have NOTHING we all have NOTHING...........How one needs to get out.......

Well whats your game plan? On another note this isn't a put me down on you.......

I have $5000 in trips $40,000.00 in research.......

Milan had about $25,000.00 and he never came back.........We can quickly start adding things up around hereSmile

Stephanie says she spent $120,000 I would think her time is worth something....Lets give her another $50K)

Gordon he kills me about 8 hours in research and one trip (we haven't seen any pictures) for about $2080.00..........
I made this post in my own thread, so it cant get nuked when you decide to delete. Smile

Id love to make $20 to watch a movie. Or go to the beach. Watch TV. Go out to the bar. Or...this is entertainment. Ive never been one to spend much on those things. I like stuff that exercises the brain. Always have. Have yet to find someone to pay me to R&R.

"Labor of love"...thats a good term for it.

I can tell you this. Of the searches Ive done, the most expensive was ~$500. The least $200. So, $2k is extraordinarily high. Im frugal. More than most.

Game plan is simple. This is about entertainment. When its not entertaining, I will do something else. There are plenty of opportunities to those with skills. I have a few. Opportunity cost plays into this though.

Big picture is simple too. Everyone has finite resources, and can only do this for so long. I wont be making this my lifelongs focus. Most will come, and go.

Should something not change, this will never be found. The reality is, in 6 years WITH Forrest Fenns participation, we still have NOTHING. Imagine when Forrest is no longer around should things remain the same. This Chase will die, and become at best an "urban legend" not worth pursuing.
07-23-2016, 10:34 PM,
Dear RO/RN
For a non local for a trip:

1200 for plane (can't go alone)
100 for food per day
150 for lodging per day

Can't get a gun on the plane

One time costs of the items I asked about, bear spray, flashlight, batteries, etc (see other thread about what to bring, Romeo) I did not include the pack Mule - 200?

Roughly each trip is about 3000. A ball park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
07-23-2016, 10:39 PM,
RE: Dear RO/RN
(07-23-2016, 10:34 PM)Kpro Wrote: For a non local for a trip:

100 for food per day
150 for lodging per day

One time costs of the items I asked about, bear spray, flashlight, batteries, etc (see other thread about what to bring, Romeo) I did not include the pack Mule - 200?

When I go, I rough it. If I take a compact car, the gas is approx $100. If I take an SUV/Truck, Gas is $200. Food is a wash, as I take what I will eat, and Id eat out when home, so thats mostly a wash. I sleep in the vehicle. And I already own the spray, lights, batteries, etc.

For me, its not much different than going to the mountains or the swim beach with the kids. Just a bit further to drive. Otherwise, the rest is about the same for me.
07-23-2016, 10:42 PM,
(07-23-2016, 10:34 PM)Kpro Wrote: Can't get a gun on the plane

You can't bring bear spray on a plane either.
07-23-2016, 10:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-23-2016, 10:49 PM by Kpro.)
Dear RO/RN
(07-23-2016, 10:42 PM)GoneAlone Wrote:

All items for the trip will be boyght once I land locally.

Rental car should have been added, 50 a day.

07-23-2016, 10:54 PM,
Good luck. You better have an EXACT spot. Playing a hunch is futile. You wont happen upon the chest by happenstance.

Or at least thats what Fenn says.
07-23-2016, 10:59 PM,
(07-23-2016, 10:42 PM)GoneAlone Wrote:

I'm now on the special list with the TSA because I had bear spray in my checked bags (happened twice). Both times it was on accident as the spray was in my large backpack that I put in the checked bag. So I got a TSA warning letter that if I cause any more trouble I will never fly again.

The 2nd time I was almost arrested but luckily the TSA manager showed up and told them the bear spray was not a weapon and was considered similar to pepper spray.

Do not put bear spray in your bag. Pay the $50 at Walmart when you arrive in Colorado, Wyoming or Montana. When you're going home hide the bear spray near the trail head of your search area and you can get it the next time.

As for NM, I don't worry about the bears there. They are not going to be an issue and a simple noise maker is good enough.
07-24-2016, 12:08 AM,
(07-23-2016, 10:59 PM)Indy Wrote: Do not put bear spray in your bag. Pay the $50 at Walmart when you arrive in Colorado, Wyoming or Montana. When you're going home hide the bear spray near the trail head of your search area and you can get it the next time.

Thank you, it saved me 50 bucks. I also found a pair of gloves with the fingers chewed off; were those yours as well?
-T-

“I’ve said searchers should go back to the poem so many times that I don’t want to say it again here.” -ff

“The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes.” -Sherlock Holmes
07-24-2016, 09:37 AM,
(07-24-2016, 07:21 AM)PL289 Wrote:
(07-24-2016, 07:07 AM)pidmt Wrote:
(07-23-2016, 10:34 PM)Kpro Wrote: For a non local for a trip:

100 for food per day
150 for lodging per day

if you declare you are transporting a firearm at the checked bag counter ,and have your gun unloaded and locked in a hard sided case and then the ammo in a separate case locked,and you are the only one to have the key,they will have TSA check it,and it can fly with your checked baggage ,dont go up to the counter and yell i have a gun ,they frown on that.i think the only states you cant carry your gun to is California and New York

True statement. Checking a weapon in luggage really only adds maybe 5 minutes to the bag check process total each way. Worth the hassle if you might end up needing it....the weapon, not the luggage.

Go to the sporting goods store and get the TSA approved case and approved combination locks and your set. I normally don't bring ammo as I figure that's more trouble than it's worth, but I have accidentally left ammo in the case and nobody opens it. At the check- incounter you let them know you have a firearm in the bag and they will give you the orange tag to attach to it etc...

But don't walk in and say "I have a gun" lol.
07-24-2016, 10:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-24-2016, 10:07 AM by romeofoxtrot.)
(07-24-2016, 08:08 AM)Rogue One Wrote: RFTSmile

You are catching on to the ways of Jedi...........Your very sane and sensible...

Was wondering what was going on. That sane sensible part seemed to be falling apart....

NotSmile

R1
A typical nice evening out for most borders on $200. Dinner, movie, popcorn, drinks afterwards, etc. Thats not for me. Id rather have a memory of something off the beaten path.

The single most valuable resource I have is time. I cant buy it back, once its gone its gone. So I use it as I see fit, and I dont like wasting it. It must at least, in some way, be productive to ME.

It is becoming apparent that this Chase has so far been "just an exercise".Its disapponting that this chase has had a negative financial effect on searchers, its disappointing an unknown searcher died looking for it(not Randy) who had a wife and young child, another who is lost and presumably dead (Randy), and that there have been damaged relationships and broken marriages as a result.

I may sound pessimistic, I consider it realistic and pragmatic. This "chase" isnt the flowers and sunshine Fenn paints it out to be.

"Difficult, but not impossible". Think about that for a minute. IF there is a chest out there, its "possible" to find it. Doesnt meant probable. Lots of things are difficult. This is another hope-giver type statement to give life to the "legend" and to folks who hear what they want.

Im ok at puzzles. The one thing Ive been fairly good at though is knowing when a puzzle is not likely solvable. Pattern puzzles are my preferred choice. I suck at anagrams, et al, type puzzles.

Still have my sanity. Just trying to shake people out of the trance. I feel for the ones who have lost the most, who have been at this the longest, and believed the "average guy could do this if they just think and analyze".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear Marti aka digging gypsy admin 494 44,433 8 hours ago
Last Post: VinnieVega
  Dear Ricky: Keyword! superfly 32 12,430 12-11-2015, 11:48 AM
Last Post: trigace
  Dear Mindy Ricky Nowak 23 3,885 07-09-2015, 09:18 AM
Last Post: deb