Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Northern border of YSNP
07-28-2016, 11:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-28-2016, 11:51 PM by wishiIwasRich.)
RE: Northern border of YSNP
(07-28-2016, 10:31 PM)The Count Wrote:
(07-28-2016, 09:46 PM)wishiIwasRich Wrote: Thanks Count... No one's close so let's keep plugging along. It's a fun exercise, regardless of who find it. The adventure is what it should be about.
I would agree no one is close. Have you had a chance to get out this season for a BOTG search? I have yet to have a chance this year but now I'm doing my research and making my plan, next summer is looking good for a search around Montana.

One other thing I've yet seen a discussion on, a black rock with a yellow H. From some of my research in the early days of the automobile and road ways Yellowstone was a very popular destination but the roads lacked signs. I read that there were rocks that were painted black with a yellow H so tourists knew where to turn on the route to Yellowstone, have you ever heard of this?
Botg twice this year, going again in the fall. Just tweaking a little more each time. Never heard of the rock meanings but that would be something to pursue. My first blaze was an X " on a tree in Colorado , close to coordinates found in the poem, . My wife had her picture made beside it. A marking on a rock sounds more plausible thou now and not some tree marking. Funny how more sophisticated we become the longer we're in the race.
(07-28-2016, 09:46 PM)wishiIwasRich Wrote: Thanks Count... No one's close so let's keep plugging along. It's a fun exercise, regardless of who find it. The adventure is what it should be about.
I would agree no one is close. Have you had a chance to get out this season for a BOTG search? I have yet to have a chance this year but now I'm doing my research and making my plan, next summer is looking good for a search around Montana.

One other thing I've yet seen a discussion on, a black rock with a yellow H. From some of my research in the early days of the automobile and road ways Yellowstone was a very popular destination but the roads lacked signs. I read that there were rocks that were painted black with a yellow H so tourists knew where to turn on the route to Yellowstone, have you ever heard of this?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

(07-28-2016, 10:33 PM)Kpro Wrote: Why do you think nobody is close? Ff has said several have been close and 65000 people I would think some are close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea, close physically and probably clue wise too, but no one knows either way. So you're only close if you know that your close. Forrest has not named anyone close... So no-one is close.

07-28-2016, 11:52 PM,
Northern border of YSNP
Fair enough wish, makes sense to me.

07-29-2016, 09:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-29-2016, 09:40 AM by The Count.)
(07-28-2016, 11:47 PM)wishiIwasRich Wrote:

Botg twice this year, going again in the fall. Just tweaking a little more each time. Never heard of the rock meanings but that would be something to pursue. My first blaze was an X " on a tree in Colorado , close to coordinates found in the poem, . My wife had her picture made beside it. A marking on a rock sounds more plausible thou now and not some tree marking. Funny how more sophisticated we become the longer we're in the race.
Sometimes when I read about the rock marker it's a yellow rock other times it's a black rock with a yellow H. Here is a little about it, scroll down to 1912.

http://wisconsinhistoricalmarkers.blogsp...0.html?m=1

This idea has me thinking that there must of been other markers not necessary even something that man has altered but because of it appearance.

(07-28-2016, 10:33 PM)Kpro Wrote: Why do you think nobody is close? Ff has said several have been close and 65000 people I would think some are close.
(07-28-2016, 11:47 PM)wishiIwasRich Wrote: Yea, close physically and probably clue wise too, but no one knows either way. So you're only close if you know that your close. Forrest has not named anyone close... So no-one is close.
Yeah, 6 years and only 2 clues for sure solved with 9 clues needed to be solved precisely to me sounds like a long way to go. A now with so many speculating that much of the clues needed to be solved on site could make it exponentially harder if it's true.
07-29-2016, 12:06 PM,
Of course ff had to have seen these markers thru his travels, many well forgotten and hidden waiting to be found.. Great research ..Count.

07-29-2016, 12:30 PM,
(07-29-2016, 12:06 PM)wishiIwasRich Wrote: Of course ff had to have seen these markers thru his travels, many well forgotten and hidden waiting to be found.. Great research ..Count.
Thanks, I do enjoy learning about the past. When thinking of this research material a few things come to mind and some of them are questions that I must ask. The days on the first automobile roads was something much different from today, with multimedia devices in every modern automobile today. The travelers of the past must of enjoyed the sites on the roads much more then today due to these things stopping at many of them for the entertainment that they much desired. Now for the questions. If Fenn's father was the main component that lead them to Yellowstone every summer did he visit Yellowstone prior to Fenn being born using these markers to make his way? And if so, did he continue to use these markers or ones similar to them after Fenn was born on there many trips to Yellowstone?

I know they took a southern route and the material I post shows a northern route but there must of been similar markers on most routes to Yellowstone, care to share your thoughts on this?
07-29-2016, 12:52 PM,
Northern border of YSNP
Markers = benchmarks , they are on the map

07-29-2016, 01:46 PM,
(07-29-2016, 12:52 PM)Kpro Wrote: Markers = benchmarks , they are on the map
If you are referring to the map in the back of TFTW I've never been impressed with it. To me it's a fluff piece, something to get you excited. Something to put in the book so it has some content about the treasure hunt. To me the only thing important on it is the poem.

As for a marker I'm looking for something physical that might stand the test of time even if the poem is solved soon. Something like the sand stone pillars in this link.

http://www.nwhistorycourse.org/ttcourse/...stone.html

Now a question, how difficult would something like that be able to find?
07-29-2016, 02:32 PM,
Northern border of YSNP
(07-29-2016, 01:46 PM)The Count Wrote:
(07-29-2016, 12:52 PM)Kpro Wrote: Markers = benchmarks , they are on the map
If you are referring to the map in the back of TFTW I've never been impressed with it. To me it's a fluff piece, something to get you excited. Something to put in the book so it has some content about the treasure hunt. To me the only thing important on it is the poem.

As for a marker I'm looking for something physical that might stand the test of time even if the poem is solved soon. Something like the sand stone pillars in this link.

http://www.nwhistorycourse.org/ttcourse/...stone.html

Now a question, how difficult would something like that be able to find?

I agree with you completely, but that is the blaze, imo. It follows the poem and comes right to it. I am not sure about the link though that you are referring.

I think the benchmarks have something to do with the last part of the poem, just not sure yet exactly. Running scenarios now.

07-29-2016, 04:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-29-2016, 08:09 PM by The Count.)
(07-29-2016, 02:32 PM)Kpro Wrote: I think the benchmarks have something to do with the last part of the poem, just not sure yet exactly. Running scenarios now.
Are you aware that Forrest didn't use the benchmark map until 3 years after the poem was published? And to tie it into the poem during its construction seems slim at best. But I'm always open to hear new ideas so if you come up with something feel free to post it.

Here's another interesting article about road markers http://www.lincolnhighwayoh.com/v1/Yellowstone.htm
07-31-2016, 07:10 PM,
(07-29-2016, 04:46 PM)The Count Wrote:
(07-29-2016, 02:32 PM)Kpro Wrote: I think the benchmarks have something to do with the last part of the poem, just not sure yet exactly. Running scenarios now.
Are you aware that Forrest didn't use the benchmark map until 3 years after the poem was published? And to tie it into the poem during its construction seems slim at best. But I'm always open to hear new ideas so if you come up with something feel free to post it.

Here's another interesting article about road markers http://www.lincolnhighwayoh.com/v1/Yellowstone.htm

Pretty sure he's talking about benchmarks and not Benchmark{brand} maps.
-T-

“I’ve said searchers should go back to the poem so many times that I don’t want to say it again here.” -ff

“The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes.” -Sherlock Holmes