Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Max Distance from the car?
08-01-2016, 10:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-02-2016, 09:46 AM by crustacean.)
Sorry if this has been discussed many times before but I am newly infected with the Chase.

Is there some reasonable consensus for the maximum distance that Forrest could have hidden the treasure from the car? He said that he made the trip twice in an afternoon as a 79 year old and at least once was hauling a heavy and awkward load. I've never seen Forrest walk but I would think about 0.75mi would be the max one way distance for an older man. That puts the total at 3 miles for one afternoon. Thoughts? Am I too conservative?

Chris
08-01-2016, 10:34 PM,
I would say 1 mile tops each way and not severe in path. (No class five rapid, incredible increase in altitude, etc). PM me if you want to know more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08-01-2016, 10:42 PM,
RE: Max Distance from the car?
I think in order for that to matter is to determine whether Forrest used the same route specified by poem.
08-01-2016, 10:46 PM,
(08-01-2016, 10:42 PM)House Wrote: I think in order for that to matter is to determine whether Forrest used the same route specified by poem.

Ignoring the poem for a moment I think we can exclude a ton of sites simply because of the logistics of that hike. He was nearly 80 and he has said several times that he made the trip twice in one afternoon when he deposited the treasure. That means 2 round trip excursions. I don't know many 80 year olds that could hike more than 4 miles in an afternoon while carrying a heavy pack. That would mean we can exclude any potential site more than 1 mile from a road right? Maybe Forrest is an animal but nobody has really suggested that to me. That's I guess why I am looking for feedback from people that know more about him than I. Thanks.
08-01-2016, 10:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-01-2016, 10:52 PM by House.)
(08-01-2016, 10:46 PM)crustacean Wrote:
(08-01-2016, 10:42 PM)House Wrote: I think in order for that to matter is to determine whether Forrest used the same route specified by poem.

Ignoring the poem for a moment I think we can exclude a ton of sites simply because of the logistics of that hike. He was nearly 80 and he has said several times that he made the trip twice in one afternoon when he deposited the treasure. That means 2 round trip excursions. I don't know many 80 year olds that could hike more than 4 miles in an afternoon while carrying a heavy pack. That would mean we can exclude any potential site more than 1 mile from a road right? Maybe Forrest is an animal but nobody has really suggested that to me. That's I guess why I am looking for feedback from people that know more about him than I. Thanks.

I agree, and that does narrow the search area considerably.
Thanks
08-02-2016, 02:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-02-2016, 02:47 AM by Becky from WV.)
@crustacean - Watch the Jennifer London video ... listen to FF's breathing as he walks to the dirt sifter. What do YOU think?
08-02-2016, 07:07 AM,
Why does everyone always think in terms of miles and extremes when thinking about the delivery of the treasure chest to the hidey spot? When I buy groceries it usually takes me 6 trips to walk from my driveway to the kitchen and back which is about 40ft.
08-02-2016, 08:39 AM,
I just dont understand how one can assume something and remotely think that they is 100% correct. Where in the world do you get, that an old man's max distance to walk is .75 miles?

Is there like an encyclopedia somewhere that lays down all of these facts?

You would be a terrible prosecutor.

08-02-2016, 09:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-02-2016, 09:47 AM by crustacean.)
(08-02-2016, 08:39 AM)Hammertime Wrote: I just dont understand how one can assume something and remotely think that they is 100% correct. Where in the world do you get, that an old man's max distance to walk is .75 miles?

I guess it's a good thing I am not a prosecutor right.

Who has said that any assumptions are 100% correct? I made it very clear I was speculating. I've never met Forrest or seen him walk. That's why I am asking for opinions from people who know more than I do. I am a scientist by training and I am going to make assumptions and try to rule out places that don't meet those assumptions as I try to narrow it down. Does that seem unreasonable?

If people who have met him are convinced that he could walk 8 miles in an afternoon carrying a pack then that opens up the search radius to 2 miles from a road. That's the way I am thinking about it. Feel free to disagree but spare me the attitude unless you have something constructive to add.
08-02-2016, 09:49 AM,
(08-02-2016, 09:45 AM)crustacean Wrote:
(08-02-2016, 08:39 AM)Hammertime Wrote: I just dont understand how one can assume something and remotely think that they is 100% correct. Where in the world do you get, that an old man's max distance to walk is .75 miles?

I guess it's a good thing I am not a prosecutor right.

Who has said that any assumptions are 100% correct? I made it very clear I was speculating. I've never met Forrest or seen him walk. That's why I am asking for opinions from people who know more than I do. I am a scientist by training and I am going to make assumptions and try to rule out places that don't meet those assumptions as I try to narrow it down. Does that seem unreasonable?

If people who have met him are convinced that he could walk 8 miles in an afternoon carrying a pack then that opens up the search radius to 2 miles from a road. That's the way I am thinking about it. Feel free to disagree but spare me the attitude unless you have something constructive to add.

I agree with your logic, and process. Very reasonable.

I have asked drama / non-useful information not to be posted on my threads, it just draws more trolls and more jabs. Just comes with the territory here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  string with knots to calculate distance 1 869 06-12-2018, 11:43 PM
Last Post: heyoka
  Distance between clues SoulMates4Ever 6 1,029 01-11-2018, 09:25 AM
Last Post: SoulMates4Ever
  the blaze cant be seen from a distance BrazenBull 46 6,895 05-25-2017, 02:02 AM
Last Post: The Count
  Thoughts on treasures distance from a "human trail"? Pooka 35 13,967 11-16-2016, 05:44 PM
Last Post: JoeKing101
  Distance from town or city BrazenBull 1 1,087 04-24-2016, 07:14 PM
Last Post: musstag
  distance chest can be seen from BrazenBull 9 2,111 01-12-2015, 04:12 AM
Last Post: Chris Yates