Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
At the Mountains of Madness.....
08-07-2016, 05:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-07-2016, 05:15 PM by knighterrant.)
So I started on this Fenn treasure hunt about a week ago and went through the standard steps of beating my head against the wall looking at maps and history and realizing the poem is too vague for a legitimate "solve". Then I moved on to the poem and tried anagrams and other various devices and realized again that 'anagramming' is too simplistic a method. The poem should have been deciphered long ago if that was the trick. Also when anagramming 4 lines at once you have enough letters to spell most anything and then you project upon the outcome your own preconcieved notions. So again Im back to beating my head on the wall.

So I go to the blogs and I read glimmer and glimpses of clues and things people have discovered. Alphas and Omegas, 23 and 42, thumbs over cities, bottlecaps and postage stamps, magic squares and blaise ciphers, teachers with ropes and rainbow colored tea from china. And I think ok, people have found stuff, its doable, let me give it a shot.

And as I searched the blogs and internet for things I started noticing odd things and now I have some questions for the community....

Why do I see time and again edited wikipedia pages that seem to relate to the clues or at least the path I was going along? How can I think something is a clue and then go to wikipedia and see that very same obscure fact or word highlighted in the article. How come most of the edits I saw and screenshotted were from the 2009 time period prior to Fenn coming out with this Chase. Why are these edits almost always from anon IP addresses and not regular Wikipedia volunteers.

Why are so many of the links found on the related blogs and forums ones that take you to obscure websites or ones that seem to have an occult, gnostic, demonologist, etc. focus. Why do many of these clues, interpretations seem to promote ideas from Eastern religious lines of thought. Who is playing at what here?

How can I go to the Smithsonian website (the Smithsonian FFS) and see a childs art website (BOTTLECAPS AND BRUSHES) with a skateboarding giraffe teaching kids how to make art and hide messages in art and see all over it the same 'clues' and things that reference what you read on the blogs?

I've read multiple stories over the past few years of these viral online puzzle games (up front ones) and mysterious ones where the authors are unknown and it takes someone with a wide variety of technical skills and abilities to solve. Its theorized these are run by intelligence agencies looking to recruit or alternatively hackers up to something. Is that what this game is?

Why do I go online the other day and see something like fenntreasuresolved.com come up at the top of my search list and click on it to read a 'typical' solve and retrieval from a guy who gave the standard 'im not saying if I found it or not' line. A guy who supposedly solved the puzzle but wouldnt clearly lay out the clues as he drove along the road. Is this a test from Fenn to keep people who are uncommitted from the chase for some reason? Why does the guy say 'clear your cache' when talking about clearing brush from around the chest and then specifically say clear your cache (browser) at the end of his story and indicate that the 404 error message is a clue.

Why when I do a domain search on that web name do I find that sites with a similar name go for 3 grand a year? You mean to tell me someone came out and didn't find a treasure but dropped 3 grand on a website? Who is playing at what here?

Why, when Im in the middle of all this searching and researching blogs, and I go onto Google Earth and look at a particular spot does it show me a name of a business or building (in this case foundry) but then the next day there is no tag on the map. Why does it show the name of a particular lake one time, but then nothing. Why when I'm running GE does street view not work, but then I "Clear my Cache" and it works normally now...

Why do I read a story online about a company called [42] Entertainment whos business enterprise consists of staging online alternate reality games?

With regard to monetization of the Internet, I'm not sure exactly how it works but I've read stories about people making very healthy amounts of money from advertising and videos on you tube. Is this all a big multi level marketing circle jerk to generate website clicks from 'treasure hunters'? Get people online and clicking on s*&^, then make sure they click on our customers sites or our own webrings to boost our add dollars?

Until I saw the treasure solved bs I thought perhaps Fenn wasn't necessarily associated with some of this stuff and that perhaps it was a bunch of online pranksters or people who had saw the chase as an opportunity to profit or perhaps other reasons but now I think there is no way he is unaware.

A man died and I'm sure a lot of poor people have spent a lot of money (foolishly) on this chase but is/was their sin greed? or faith in a false prophet? If this is what I think it may be, it needs to end now.

There ends my mad ramblings. Feel free to criticize or share your own moments of madness....

08-07-2016, 05:24 PM,
RE: At the Mountains of Madness.....
Get a grip man.
08-07-2016, 05:32 PM,
Check out the CIA thread. It may relate with some of your thoughts. Hehe

I think I just take a leap of faith, never take it to serious and never spend too much beyond what I can in the journey. Too many upsides not to be a part. But I need to recap that once I get back from my trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08-07-2016, 05:46 PM,
Check out the history of http://www.wherewarmwatershalt.com and your head will actually spin 360 degrees before it explodes.

Seriously though, you have some valid questions (esp. Wiki IMO) but the big one should be can you filter out the noise down to a manageable level. If not, get out now.
08-07-2016, 05:57 PM,
So that's your first week in the chase? It doesn't really start getting good until the third week.

BTW: Great thread title. I'm a big Lovecraft fan. ATMOM is an epic story.

mdavis19
08-07-2016, 06:07 PM,
(08-07-2016, 05:57 PM)mdavis19 Wrote: So that's your first week in the chase? It doesn't really start getting good until the third week.

BTW: Great thread title. I'm a big Lovecraft fan. ATMOM is an epic story.

mdavis19

LOL.

About the madness:
There's an easy way to prove it's all in our heads. Randomly pick a word in the dictionary and then research for 4 hrs and prove that it's the name of the creek from the poem. After you get convinced from random linkages that it's the right choice, then you will understand confirmation bias.
08-07-2016, 11:46 PM,
Oh here we go again. None of us really knows anything so anything is possible. How do we prove a negative ? We don't.
Shhh they aren't listening.
08-08-2016, 06:19 AM,
(08-07-2016, 11:46 PM)deb Wrote: Oh here we go again. None of us really knows anything so anything is possible. How do we prove a negative ? We don't.

I believe there are many who have solved clues, but thousands who are confusing coincidence and bias with a solution. Mr Knight's write-up is an example of using coincidence and bias to build a case where none exists. (Unless there really is a CIA plot here to use the chase to recruit future code breakers. It would make a great movie, but that's all it is. Astree needs to send in his resume.)

I think Knighterrant did a nice logical writeup and will be someone to be reckoned with if he continues his search and avoids all the noise.
08-08-2016, 07:43 AM,
(08-07-2016, 05:37 PM)waveseeker Wrote: Dude, I think you've gone alone in there.

Too funny!
08-08-2016, 02:28 PM,
(08-07-2016, 05:46 PM)DaisyMae Wrote: Check out the history of http://www.wherewarmwatershalt.com and your head will actually spin 360 degrees before it explodes.

Seriously though, you have some valid questions (esp. Wiki IMO) but the big one should be can you filter out the noise down to a manageable level. If not, get out now.

Not far, but too far to walk...just a few clicks away

I looked at the site in the wayback machine...pretty dark. For me the question or concern is not the noise but the nature of what this is.

Was this site up and running from the very beginning of the "Chase"? Was it a harmless Chase fansite that got let go and lapsed and some other entity took it over and transformed it into the present version?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  a place somewhere in the mountains paulb 1 337 07-11-2018, 06:14 PM
Last Post: Halogetter
  My church is in the mountains and along the river bottoms McFly 1 670 03-30-2018, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Diogenes the Cynic
  Where exactly are the Rockey Mountains? monkeyking 10 2,129 12-14-2017, 04:29 PM
Last Post: pidmt
  The Pirates of the Rocky Mountains JohnRicko 1 1,396 05-15-2016, 08:36 PM
Last Post: deb
  My church is in the mountains - I found it! Jack 13 7,687 03-16-2016, 10:09 AM
Last Post: astree
  A Method in the Madness Doc 27 13,813 11-20-2015, 12:29 PM
Last Post: djjmciv