Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think Mr. Fenn wants the chest to be found in the near future
03-15-2014, 04:04 PM,
I dont think it would upset searchers cause first Forrest wouldnt give another searcher the advantage of letting them know they are correct and second, there is no scenario that would make me leave a 2 million dollar chest for the next searcher
03-15-2014, 11:35 PM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from will197532 on March 15, 2014, 5:04 pm</b>

there is no scenario that would make me leave a 2 million dollar chest for the next searcher
</div>

How about if you find a $5 million check next to the chest, with a note that says you can only cash the check if you leave the chest?
03-16-2014, 08:41 AM,
No worries JD, we are cool. I am new to this particular search, just not new to searching for treasure.

Will got it right. No scenario would stop me either, including the deep snow right now and threat of death. Actually the winter is the best time, because the bears are sleeping.....but the wolves and mountain lions are bad hungry right now.....but I have something for them.....A pack of mean, muscled up, angry Russian Wolf Hounds. No critter in their right mind would come close when they start growling and snarling...sometimes it even scares me, and I am totally fearless.

One night I was camped off highway 12 below Lolo Pass and was sleeping with the pack around me, all six of them, and there was movement outside of the pup tent. They are trained to be silent unless I give hand signal. All their training was done with hand signals. The female that runs the pack nudged my ear but I was already awake and heard it too. It had been snowing for two days and was about a foot deep. I had pitched the tent on the only flat spot on the mountain side because the Clearwater River was below and nothing but rocks and shear drop-offs.

I patted her head to let her know I wanted her to chill out and I could feel the others starting to tense up around me. I knew it was only a matter of time until a huge explosion and chaos ensued. Then all of their ears perk and I hear this chh chh chh chh chh....like something with hooves walking through the snow. A lot of somethings. I always kept a tiny peep hole open at one of the flaps so I could look out without creating noise or movement in the tent. The alfa male always stays out with the horses at night and is trained to make no noise,ever, not even to alert me, that is the female's job. My number one horse Biskit was always a mouthy son of a gun and any time anything came around, he would mumble a little neigh. I heard nothing from him. Trooper, my other gelding was silent too and I heard no hooves stomping around like when he got nervous.

I peeked out the hole, and nothing. So I held out my hands palm down to let the pack know I meant lay down and everything is okay. We went back to sleep. The female smelled something as did all of them and I knew it, but I kept patting her and whispered in her ear until she got the idea it was okay, and when she relaxed and went back to sleep, they all did.

The next morning I get up, and you have to picture this. This a small two man pup with me and six 90 pound dogs crammed in there. I unzip the flap and out I go with her by my side, and as I do, what do I see, but over a dozen giant elk bedded down all around us in the tent, and in some places actually touching the outside of the tent with their bodies actually touching the body of the dogs inside for warmth. Darndest thing that has ever happened to me in the wild with wildlife. They bolted all at once, the dogs bolted all at once, the horses started stomping around and neighing, and it was total chaos, dogs and elk in all directions at once.

Hilarious, but I was afraid of losing one so I blew the recall whistle. They all came back and all I saw was big white butts bounding away across the mountainside. The alfa male just stood there tied by the horses and looked at me like....good morning, please come pet me and feed me. I thought to myself, you worthless mutt, but I trained him that way and his only job was to protect the horses. He knew the elk were no threat to them.

Turns out we had bedded down on the only flat spot on the entire mountain and the elk had been bedding there since time began, according to an old timer I met and told the story to. He said anytime he wanted to take one for food, he always set up near that spot and waited for them to go to bed, but never shot one there for fear of scaring them off for good.

I know, a little off topic again...but thought some of you might want to hear about my other treasure hunting experiences. Yeah, he wants it found.....by someone like me !....and no, I was not looking for FF's treasure in this particular outing. This was back in 1975.
03-16-2014, 10:44 AM,
Awesome story! I'm having a little trouble visualizing 6 hounds and a man in a 2 man pup tent though. Great way to have your dogs trained. Yep, I'd say you're a seasoned hunter. Very impressive.

jdh
03-16-2014, 02:07 PM,
Retired-Postmaster - I think it's superb that FF asked for your interpretation of his writing. Was that one of his Scrapbook entries? If so, which one was it? Did you tell him what you thought? That's so cool! Now you're buddies. If you can tell us about it, please do.
03-16-2014, 04:15 PM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Becky from WV on March 16, 2014, 3:07 pm</b>

Retired-Postmaster - I think it's superb that FF asked for your interpretation of his writing. Was that one of his Scrapbook entries? If so, which one was it? Did you tell him what you thought? That's so cool! Now you're buddies. If you can tell us about it, please do.
</div>

It's been 4 months since I had that particular exchange with Mr. Fenn, so I was surprised to see you comment on it. I wrote to him in mid November with both my interpretation of some of his quotes (both at book signings and in TTOTC) and with my finally finding confirmation of clue #1.

He wrote back to me within 5 minutes and said "Thanks, I will send you something I posted yesterday, and look forward to your comments about it". Within 3 minutes, he sent me a link to his web site, wanting me to read Sweet Fragrances.

I neither took it as any type of special confirmation, nor, as you said, that we were buddies. I was, actually honored that he asked me to do that.

Good luck.
03-16-2014, 04:19 PM,
NTMI & Everyone - I have an issue. It's the huge quantity of repetitious posting. The issue for me is that when you reprint the entire post from the person you are attempting to answer, it duplicates the entire message AGAIN. Then the person who replies to your post once AGAIN duplicates it. Please, wouldn't it be okay to just begin with the name & subject without repeating so much unnecessary stu-ff? The quantity of duplicates is mind-boggling to me. How else can we keep previous posts from becoming lost & unseen by the intended recipient?
03-16-2014, 04:46 PM,
Retired Postmaster - I noticed that you didn't post a response on FF's Scrapbook entry. Me neither. I cannot imagine him, or anyone, voluntarily sitting around smelling & tasting spices. Even the title is odd to me - Sweet Fragrances. Good thing he didn't ask me. I probably would have told him to "get a life" or "just sit back, put your feet up, & watch The Beverly Hillbillies". Guess that could be why he didn't ask me, huh? What did you say back to him about his story?
03-17-2014, 03:39 AM,
@NTMI, you hunters are a vigilant bunch. I remember almost getting shot because smacked my brother's tent one morning and called out "time to get up". Lol. But there were plenty of hungry bears around that year!
03-17-2014, 05:00 AM,
I wouldn't sell myself short if I were you NTMI. If you have been in the wood with your brother and know what I say to be true, about how the Elk behaved, then you are indeed brave and in the wood, and he clearly states if you are, he gives you title to the gold.