Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The home of Brown
06-18-2013, 03:54 PM,
The home of Brown
Also for Peacemaker. Your question pertaining to WWWH illustrates one of my points. I think most people are looking for some grandiose example of WWWH; something bigger than life, meaningful, or abstract. But, if you think of it like I described, as an afterthought to fit in with his "favorite spot", you begin to realize it may be something very simple. In other words, Fenn didn't pick his WWWH first, he picked his spot and used what already existed to turn into clues. It would be difficult to get a very meaningful description out of what's already there, he had to come up with "fancy" names to describe something that's probably very mundane.

Respectfully, I think where you and others get hung up is looking for this bigger-than-life WWWH, so you can get a good vibe and go from there. I think if you find a good "no paddle up your creek", or "no place for the meek", then work both ways from there, you will have better luck. I think once the story gets out about how the chest was eventually found (if ever), I think we're all going to be very disappointed when we find out what WWWH and HOB really are.

And like someone previously mentioned, I can't put enough emphasis on pure dumb luck and trial and error. I've been to my spot four times now, and guess what I still don't have! So, please humor the ramblings of a young man in an old man's body. This thing will end the way it ends. Strategy schmategy. Good luck everyone. Boo
06-18-2013, 04:19 PM,
The home of Brown
Boo,

Now that you have provided the proper methodology for the solution, it should not be long before it is found. If only they listen to you!

The Wolf
06-18-2013, 04:33 PM,
The home of Brown
and people are looking at things that are still there. I was just posting about this....consider halting as no longer there. He's been around a long time...AND he's a history buff. In 1000 years they might need that same history to figure it out. Anyway..I have a warm water halts that's not there anymore and I think that was my best one yet.
06-18-2013, 04:59 PM,
The home of Brown

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Boo on June 18, 2013, 4:54 pm</b>

Also for Peacemaker. Your question pertaining to WWWH illustrates one of my points. I think most people are looking for some grandiose example of WWWH; something bigger than life, meaningful, or abstract.
</div>

<b>Hi, Boo. I'm not sure what you read into my comment that makes you think that I'm looking for something grandiose. In a nutshell, I don't think WWWH is the Continental Divide for the reasons stated. Period. JMHO. As for the rest of what you said, I've always looked at it backwards and forwards and asked myself things like, "Why would FF use such an odd phrase like 'where warm waters halt'?" I know I bugged Stephanie about that one in private. LOL</b>

Respectfully, I think where you and others get hung up is looking for this bigger-than-life WWWH,
</div>

<b>I'm also wondering why you think I'm "hung up" on anything. That's a pretty big assumption to make. I've had my (hopefully correct) solution ready to go for more than a month and will test it out in July. I still like to question things that I see and hear in the meantime, add to comments that hopefully make sense and can help someone, etc. I guess I'm kind of addicted to the research part of this and enjoy hearing other perspectives and ideas. I especially like to hear alternative ideas that might blast holes in my would-be solution so I can save my $$$ and not waste a trip. So far, it's solid but I've seen the results from other searchers whose ideas were solid, so I'm not going to get too confident. Rest assured, it's not a grandiose solution in any way and remarkably simple. And the place where it ends (hopefully at the chest) could very well be a special place to Forrest, which is highly important if you work the poem backward.</b>
06-18-2013, 05:16 PM,
The home of Brown
I think Boo is exactly right. Fenn probably found a really neat place (probably somewhere stunningly beautiful and special where he took his kids camping 30 years ago) and then found some really interesting historical tidbits or unique characteristics about that location. Then he worked backwards to create the poem (and other hints).

Therefore, I totally agree with Boo's strategy. I've unconsciously been following this strategy without realizing it. I have been to my same "spot" 9 times now, and each time I go out there I say to myself "Where would I hide this thing if I were Fenn?" Then I return home to realize something new and interesting about this "spot" that I didn't know. I then work backwards to see if/how it fits. My latest revelation is the strongest yet and I can't wait to return for the 10th and final time.

I'm not certain Boo said this, but I totally agree that many people are WAY over-thinking this. IMHO, most of the clues are straightforward (except for HOB, which is quite clever).
06-18-2013, 06:18 PM,
The home of Brown
Peace, if the Chase was easy and straightforward the chest would have been found by now. If you have all the rest of the clues lined up, go out there and look! My number one search spot uses the CD as WWWH because I can't find anything else that fits better and the rest of the match up so well I can taste it.
06-18-2013, 07:03 PM,
The home of Brown

<b>Quote from tomwhat on June 18, 2013, 7:18 pm</b>

Peace, if the Chase was easy and straightforward the chest would have been found by now. If you have all the rest of the clues lined up, go out there and look! My number one search spot uses the CD as WWWH because I can't find anything else that fits better and the rest of the match up so well I can taste it.
</div>

tomwhat, I never said the Chase was easy or straightforward, just that the solution I arrived at is. And by simple I mean no cryptograms, hidden GPS coordinates, tarot card readings, etc. just research and logic. And like most others who have gone out to search, I "think" I figured it out. Why would so many people have searched if they didn't think they solved it? How many times has Dal felt good about a solution?

In answer to your "go out and look", I've posted elsewhere (that you might have missed) that I'm heading out in a couple of weeks. I'm way past the phase of feeling a need to "hurry up and get there before someone else finds it". I've been waiting about a month to get my finances together and work around my daughter's schedule so she can go with me this time. I'm in no hurry to come back empty handed and broke. I want to at least have the time and funds to enjoy myself while I'm out there.

As for the CD, I only pointed it out because many people have been looking at it and, if you like it as your WWWH, knock yourself out. I was just pointing out the information on the CD that is out there online or carefully concealed in things called "books". (Sorry, had to steal a joke from the movie "Lake Placid")

06-18-2013, 07:45 PM,
The home of Brown
Peacemakeer, I assure you I did not mean to single you out, I just thought the example you gave was a good way to explain my thought process, whether you believe in that example or not. And I also see that the phrase "hung up" has different meanings for some of us. Perhaps a better way of phrasing it would be to say "attached". Nothing condescending meant from me in my response. If my post was read that way, I apologize.

As for the continental divide, still a good example of grandiose. My personal thought is it's something so unimportant that it goes unnoticed by most. Same with "home of Brown", some little clever name Fenn gave to a place that probably has a less than exciting name.

And like you, I just got past my "Hurry up and get there before someone else finds it" phase. I have wasted a lot of time and money on knee-jerk reactions to "what I think" the other guy is going to do, only to find I wasn't quite prepared, or I realized how much I missed, being in such a hurry. For me, it's think it through, one day at a time, Grasshopper. Boo
06-19-2013, 06:59 AM,
The home of Brown
Did f say to think big for the HOB? I have heard that comment thrown around but I am not sure....
06-19-2013, 09:51 AM,
The home of Brown

<b>Quote from clinger on June 19, 2013, 9:47 am</b>

@Peace.

I agree about the warm moist air halting is too far to reach to make this one work. Some people have used that to point to the CD. But there is a simple elegant way:

Websters dictionary defines "warm waters" as those oceans not in the arctic region. Therefore, both the Atlantic and the Pacific Ocean are both considered "warm waters". They both halt of course at the CD. Also, note. I'm not saying with confidence that WWH is in fact the CD, but I do believe that it is a good solution to that clue, and I do give it quite a bit of weight.

(google a bit and you'll come up with the webster link. Note: it doesn't just pop up easily. When I researched it, it took a while in modifying search terms and looking at the links to find the page on Webster that states the warm waters info)

Clinger
</div>

Thanks Clinger. I appreciate the input. I'll check it out. That's an interesting angle and one that I hadn't found. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  home of brown and the starting point Chris Yates 12 1,690 11-14-2017, 11:44 AM
Last Post: p-hunter1@hotmail.com
  Home of Brown may never be found.. djjmciv 97 34,337 10-27-2017, 11:43 AM
Last Post: dude here
  below the home of Brown Mal 7 1,001 10-08-2017, 06:53 AM
Last Post: easternOHsteve
  IMHO...this is my home of Brown.... Gordon Lightfoot 4 1,255 10-08-2017, 01:26 AM
Last Post: The Count
  Brown Trout / Home of Brown Windy City 33 10,872 10-07-2017, 09:35 PM
Last Post: OjoDude
  Home/House of Brown jfkelly16 1 700 10-07-2017, 09:33 PM
Last Post: OjoDude