Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The home of Brown
06-18-2013, 05:16 PM,
The home of Brown
I think Boo is exactly right. Fenn probably found a really neat place (probably somewhere stunningly beautiful and special where he took his kids camping 30 years ago) and then found some really interesting historical tidbits or unique characteristics about that location. Then he worked backwards to create the poem (and other hints).

Therefore, I totally agree with Boo's strategy. I've unconsciously been following this strategy without realizing it. I have been to my same "spot" 9 times now, and each time I go out there I say to myself "Where would I hide this thing if I were Fenn?" Then I return home to realize something new and interesting about this "spot" that I didn't know. I then work backwards to see if/how it fits. My latest revelation is the strongest yet and I can't wait to return for the 10th and final time.

I'm not certain Boo said this, but I totally agree that many people are WAY over-thinking this. IMHO, most of the clues are straightforward (except for HOB, which is quite clever).
06-18-2013, 06:18 PM,
The home of Brown
Peace, if the Chase was easy and straightforward the chest would have been found by now. If you have all the rest of the clues lined up, go out there and look! My number one search spot uses the CD as WWWH because I can't find anything else that fits better and the rest of the match up so well I can taste it.
06-18-2013, 07:03 PM,
The home of Brown

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from tomwhat on June 18, 2013, 7:18 pm</b>

Peace, if the Chase was easy and straightforward the chest would have been found by now. If you have all the rest of the clues lined up, go out there and look! My number one search spot uses the CD as WWWH because I can't find anything else that fits better and the rest of the match up so well I can taste it.
</div>

tomwhat, I never said the Chase was easy or straightforward, just that the solution I arrived at is. And by simple I mean no cryptograms, hidden GPS coordinates, tarot card readings, etc. just research and logic. And like most others who have gone out to search, I "think" I figured it out. Why would so many people have searched if they didn't think they solved it? How many times has Dal felt good about a solution?

In answer to your "go out and look", I've posted elsewhere (that you might have missed) that I'm heading out in a couple of weeks. I'm way past the phase of feeling a need to "hurry up and get there before someone else finds it". I've been waiting about a month to get my finances together and work around my daughter's schedule so she can go with me this time. I'm in no hurry to come back empty handed and broke. I want to at least have the time and funds to enjoy myself while I'm out there.

As for the CD, I only pointed it out because many people have been looking at it and, if you like it as your WWWH, knock yourself out. I was just pointing out the information on the CD that is out there online or carefully concealed in things called "books". (Sorry, had to steal a joke from the movie "Lake Placid")

06-18-2013, 07:45 PM,
The home of Brown
Peacemakeer, I assure you I did not mean to single you out, I just thought the example you gave was a good way to explain my thought process, whether you believe in that example or not. And I also see that the phrase "hung up" has different meanings for some of us. Perhaps a better way of phrasing it would be to say "attached". Nothing condescending meant from me in my response. If my post was read that way, I apologize.

As for the continental divide, still a good example of grandiose. My personal thought is it's something so unimportant that it goes unnoticed by most. Same with "home of Brown", some little clever name Fenn gave to a place that probably has a less than exciting name.

And like you, I just got past my "Hurry up and get there before someone else finds it" phase. I have wasted a lot of time and money on knee-jerk reactions to "what I think" the other guy is going to do, only to find I wasn't quite prepared, or I realized how much I missed, being in such a hurry. For me, it's think it through, one day at a time, Grasshopper. Boo
06-19-2013, 06:59 AM,
The home of Brown
Did f say to think big for the HOB? I have heard that comment thrown around but I am not sure....
06-19-2013, 09:51 AM,
The home of Brown

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from clinger on June 19, 2013, 9:47 am</b>

@Peace.

I agree about the warm moist air halting is too far to reach to make this one work. Some people have used that to point to the CD. But there is a simple elegant way:

Websters dictionary defines "warm waters" as those oceans not in the arctic region. Therefore, both the Atlantic and the Pacific Ocean are both considered "warm waters". They both halt of course at the CD. Also, note. I'm not saying with confidence that WWH is in fact the CD, but I do believe that it is a good solution to that clue, and I do give it quite a bit of weight.

(google a bit and you'll come up with the webster link. Note: it doesn't just pop up easily. When I researched it, it took a while in modifying search terms and looking at the links to find the page on Webster that states the warm waters info)

Clinger
</div>

Thanks Clinger. I appreciate the input. I'll check it out. That's an interesting angle and one that I hadn't found. Smile
06-19-2013, 10:08 AM,
The home of Brown
At one point I considered the "Arctic Circle" as where warm waters halt from the same defition that clinger quoted. Since this was in Alaska, I started scouring the landscape and discovered a "Your Creek". I am not going to Alaska and I really don't think the treasure is there, but I thought it was pretty neat.
06-19-2013, 10:17 AM,
The home of Brown
So when someone states that wwwh could be the cd why does everyone assume that person is stating it for a fact? It is just a possibility and if you say hot springs is where wwwh is and then you search for the chest there and don't find it maybe and just maybe the next solution could be the cd as where wwwh is.

It is just something to think about and if you start dismissing these things you can narrow you choices down to places it never was to begin with like hot springs. So just keep it in mind and maybe the next solution may use cd as wwwh and then with the rest of the solution you can go with 100 percent confidence, maybe.

Since there is only one CD and many hotsprings or other wwwh's it just is a more simple solution but may or not be. Even if you start at the blaze and work backwards some solutions could be wwwh is the CD.

It is a fact that mountains cause orographic lifting and make it rain more, however did forrest use this as wwwh, who knows but he could have maybe. If so now what canyon?
06-19-2013, 04:02 PM,
The home of Brown
Hey Tim weren't you giving me advise on using to many man made objects? Well it is my turn to return the favour ... it is time to drop the continental divide and cloud theory. Even if we were to accept it - it goes no where, it is be a non-clue because anything could be linked to it, thus it is meaningless.

You can thank me later - LOL

The Wolf
06-19-2013, 07:49 PM,
The home of Brown
I like clinger's explanation of WWWH = CD, due to Atlantic/Pacific ending there. Never thought of it that way.

Also, CD fits well with the various comments Mr. Fenn has made, or quotes/poems from the book, which I am too lazy to cite, so please forgive me, but the gist of which are "you end up where you started." I could very easily see the CD being both the start and the end: Start at CD. Take canyon down. Then down a river (put in). Up a creek (no paddle). To waters high (with heavy loads).

Followed that way, I think at the very least it's possible to substantially reduce the amount of acreage you'd have to cover from the total acreage of the Rockies Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  home of brown and the starting point Chris Yates 11 2,052 11-14-2017, 11:44 AM
Last Post: p-hunter1@hotmail.com
  Home of Brown may never be found.. djjmciv 96 38,318 10-27-2017, 11:43 AM
Last Post: dude here
  below the home of Brown Mal 6 1,270 10-08-2017, 06:53 AM
Last Post: easternOHsteve
  IMHO...this is my home of Brown.... Gordon Lightfoot 4 1,513 10-08-2017, 01:26 AM
Last Post: The Count
  Brown Trout / Home of Brown Windy City 31 11,881 10-07-2017, 09:35 PM
Last Post: OjoDude
  Home/House of Brown jfkelly16 1 763 10-07-2017, 09:33 PM
Last Post: OjoDude