Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's searching Montana 2017
04-10-2017, 05:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-10-2017, 05:06 PM by EnigmaticThree.)
RE: Who's searching Montana 2017
I will certainly be searching Montana. To the best of my research, only about 20-30 people have searched this area, so about 15 if you cut the flakes.

I will be within a half days trip from West Yellowstone but not in the park and not in regards to the Madison or Hebgen Lake.

HBT
04-10-2017, 05:20 PM,
The snow is still deep over 5000' elevation-be careful-
depends on where you going but there might not be too many Grizzlies. Just talk loudly, so as not to surprise any. I believe they are like most animals and want no part of humans, but if they feel threatened, you better look out.
04-10-2017, 05:25 PM,
Emmett - one grizzly would be one too many in my book. I'd like to see one - far, far away to get a photo (telephoto lens of course).

Bear bells arrived today -- we got a good laugh out of those. Hopefully some of that snow melts by mid-end May.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
04-10-2017, 05:46 PM,
On my first trip to YNP, my son and I trekked through the snow to the top of Obsidian cliff. 45 minutes later we followed our tracks back down and saw Grizzly tracks that had crossed our trail. I promise you they were as big as baseball caps.
04-12-2017, 01:51 PM,
(04-10-2017, 05:46 PM)emmett Wrote: On my first trip to YNP, my son and I trekked through the snow to the top of Obsidian cliff. 45 minutes later we followed our tracks back down and saw Grizzly tracks that had crossed our trail. I promise you they were as big as baseball caps.

Scary. Do you think Griz was stalking you and your son? Bears are probably my biggest fear out those mountains. Hungry ones at that.
04-12-2017, 07:58 PM,
No- I believe bears don't really see us as prey. I think they would just as soon avoid people. The problem comes in when we surprise, startle, or scare them. They are fearless and may respond aggressively. That's why its important to travel in groups, and talk loudly. Keep in mind that its usually windy, so you have to be loud. When I search alone, I talk to myself, yell shoo bear,and I do mean yell. I have played a speaker mp3 player of Creedence Clearwater Revival!
04-15-2017, 02:44 AM,
I ride and hike in brown bear country. I've seen one on two occasions from a distance and fresh scat numerous times (yesterday). Some of my common haunts have had near death incidents. It's statistically inevitable that I will have a run-in.

Take the ranger who was killed in GNP last year. He probably rode his bike or hiked all season long for years. Inevitably he hit upon one in the middle of dining, and it attacked.

One time (yesterday) I came across a field with no less than 60 hoofs strewn about. Carcasses everywhere and one fresh one. GTFO like the wind. That field made my hair stand up. I was not suppose to be there. I keep the bear spray safety off and I yell "Hey bear" on any and all blind or semi-blind trails and turns. I wish I had more hiking and biking pals, seems safer.

It's just a matter of time. It scares me and I hope it goes well.
04-16-2017, 12:40 AM,
(04-12-2017, 07:58 PM)emmett Wrote: No- I believe bears don't really see us as prey. I think they would just as soon avoid people. The problem comes in when we surprise, startle, or scare them. They are fearless and may respond aggressively. That's why its important to travel in groups, and talk loudly. Keep in mind that its usually windy, so you have to be loud. When I search alone, I talk to myself, yell shoo bear,and I do mean yell. I have played a speaker mp3 player of Creedence Clearwater Revival!

#emmett

Is a radio just as good to use to keep the bears aware of where you are? Like Loud Music?
04-16-2017, 01:12 AM,
(04-16-2017, 12:40 AM)Gordon Lightfoot Wrote: #emmett

Is a radio just as good to use to keep the bears aware of where you are? Like Loud Music?

Just don't play Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer. They like reindeer meat!

Smile
04-16-2017, 03:03 AM,
#Beavertooth

Funny Funny Smile