Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What I think
12-09-2013, 09:55 AM,
What I think
12-09-2013, 10:03 AM,
What I think
Standing O. well, actually I'm just sitting here drinking my coffee, but the thought was there.

The real question is When he found it? and why keep it such a secret?
12-09-2013, 10:20 AM,
What I think
@ John Brown, I suggested the same thing on Dal's forum. But imo, he wanted to keep it a secret, he had no intention of sharing the discovery with the local community, he has several Archy's at his beck and call when he makes a discovery at his pueblo.
12-09-2013, 11:14 AM,
What I think

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Seeker on December 9, 2013, 10:03 am</b>

Standing O. well, actually I'm just sitting here drinking my coffee, but the thought was there.

The real question is When he found it? and why keep it such a secret?
</div>

GUESSWORK

My <i>guess</i> is that he found it during the first half of the 80's. There are several reasons for this. My understanding of TTOTC is that the Fenns moved to Santa Fe after Forrest had spent 20 years in the military which puts the move to SF in 1973 or maybe 1974. During their early years in NM he would have been working his rear end off making the gallery go. I imagine that he didn't get to do much exploring for some years. I'm guessing that Fenn's discovery came after a related discovery. I speculate that the related discovery motivated him to search. I obviously have no way of knowing this but, for me, it makes the whole thing <i>feel</i> more plausible. I strongly believe that he found it well before his cancer diagnosis in 1988. My guess is that he kept it a secret because he didn't want hordes of people going out there. I wouldn't be surprised if he told Sloane about it but swore him to secrecy. I think he is passing the torch on to the finder regarding the spot's secrecy. It will be up to the finder to leave it secret or make it public.
12-09-2013, 11:20 AM,
What I think
Very Willy Wonka-ee. I have wondered if it was something like that. He talked about going in his plane and finding pueblos that no one knew about and there was a story that was out about him taking some guys to a secret cave. He opened his gallery in 1972.
12-09-2013, 11:24 AM,
What I think
Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead, He might had found it with someone else and now he is the last to know.
12-09-2013, 11:25 AM,
What I think

<b>Quote from James Perotti on December 9, 2013, 10:20 am</b>

@ John Brown, I suggested the same thing on Dal's forum. But imo, he wanted to keep it a secret, he had no intention of sharing the discovery with the local community, he has several Archy's at his beck and call when he makes a discovery at his pueblo.
</div>

If my surmise is correct he wants to share it with <i>someone</i>. Thus the gold. Harder is to figure out how he figured it out. My guess is that he celebrates life.
12-09-2013, 11:37 AM,
What I think
"Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead"...maybe he discovered it when he took Olgas ashes to Toas mountain. ???
12-09-2013, 11:40 AM,
What I think

<b>Quote from will197532 on December 9, 2013, 11:24 am</b>

Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead, He might had found it with someone else and now he is the last to know.
</div>

I wouldn't be surprised if he took both his father and Eric Sloane there. I doubt he found it <i>with</i> them though. I think it was an arduous process that took several years and not something that a couple of octogenarians could have done. Sloane died in '85 and his dad died in '87. Fenn was diagnosed with cancer in '88. Three people can keep a secret if two of them are dead. I think he desperately wanted his secret not to go to the grave with him.
12-09-2013, 12:39 PM,
What I think
Keeping with the theme of "Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead," I toyed with the idea that maybe Forrest had found the long-lost remains of Everett Ruess (look him up if you don't recognize the name), and left the treasure chest with his bones. The conventional wisdom though is that Everett probably died in either Northern Arizona or Southern Utah. Once those states were eliminated I gave up on that idea.

mdavis19