Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Treasure Hunter
03-24-2017, 06:04 PM,
New Treasure Hunter
(03-24-2017, 05:55 PM)Urban_Archaeologist Wrote:
(03-24-2017, 02:47 PM)Kpro Wrote: You should read decals solve, he is hebgen lake if you are heading that way.

I couldn't find anyone by the name of "decal" - did find a Declan -- nice scottish name, no? Is he is one who searched out in Hebgen Lake? Am sure lots of folks have been out that way.

And yes, newbie - who likes to read. It's all very interesting if nothing else.

Not only a solid solve, but if you ever contact him a graceful and nice person:

http://dalneitzel.com/tag/decall/

Kpro

Email: kpro3@aol.con
Interesting sites:
03-24-2017, 10:34 PM,
New Treasure Hunter
(03-24-2017, 06:04 PM)Kpro Wrote: Not only a solid solve, but if you ever contact him a graceful and nice person:

http://dalneitzel.com/tag/decall/

Thank you for sharing. Lots of good info there -- thumbs up. It make a lot of sense that it's around that area, since it meant so much to him. Scratching head quite a bit. You'd wonder if he'd make it that 'obvious' though, eh?

Maybe I'm getting Fenn-treasure overload.
03-25-2017, 01:43 PM,
RE: New Treasure Hunter
"solid solve" ?? That's a good one.

Somebody has a "solid sense of humor".
04-07-2017, 02:56 PM,
May it is for our trek to the Rockies. Very excited.

Bear spray has been purchased - as well as a Garrett waterproof pro-pointer metal detector for poking around for something other than bears. Smile
04-07-2017, 05:50 PM,
(04-07-2017, 02:56 PM)Urban_Archaeologist Wrote: May it is for our trek to the Rockies. Very excited.

Bear spray has been purchased - as well as a Garrett waterproof pro-pointer metal detector for poking around for something other than bears. Smile

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Urban, I suggest you do a good amount of research (like I did) about the
use of bear spray. If not in a "wide-open" area, like a large field with no
trees or bushes, please make a lot of noise so you won't surprise any bear(s). And if there are any trees or other vegetation around (that might be hiding a bear), you should have the bear spray in your hand! Not holstered, and most definitely not in a pocket or backpack!!! Bears have been known to move pretty quickly. I hope you already knew that. And
don't hike alone. The larger the group, the more deterrence is apparently
provided in regard to wild animals.

Good luck in your searching. Please be extra careful walking, as there
may be a lot of slippery mud around in the month of May. That was my
experience last year, on my first BOTG search hike.
04-07-2017, 08:38 PM,
Andrew Jef - thanks for the kind words. We bought some bear spray a couple of years ago when we were hiking in Glacier Nat'l Park and thankfully, didn't have to use it. I have bells and a couple of those air-horn things that boaters use to make some noise, along with bear spray and a gun as a last resort.

Not sure how well I'd do with bear spray under stressful conditions (e.g a charging bear). Last, last resort -- I think I can outrun my husband when it comes right down to it.

Mud isn't something I'd thought of though......am planning on packing my waders and fly gear, sounds like the waders might also come in handy.

Where did you go last year in May? First BOTG is probably a giant learning curve.
04-08-2017, 09:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-08-2017, 09:24 AM by Urban_Archaeologist.)
Just one more thing regarding bears.....

"As I have gone alone in there" -- have interpreted this to mean that Forrest, at 79 years of age, wasn't worried about being eaten by a bear while he was hiding the loot. Perhaps it's not too far in bear country, or even in bear country at all.

Cue up the suspense music here.

Having said that - I'm leaving nothing to chance, as Murphy's Law seems to be a prominent factor in my life. Better to be safe than mauled.
04-08-2017, 04:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-08-2017, 04:24 PM by Andrew Jef.)
(04-08-2017, 09:24 AM)Urban_Archaeologist Wrote: Just one more thing regarding bears.....

"As I have gone alone in there" -- have interpreted this to mean that Forrest, at 79 years of age, wasn't worried about being eaten by a bear while he was hiding the loot. Perhaps it's not too far in bear country, or even in bear country at all.

Cue up the suspense music here.

Having said that - I'm leaving nothing to chance, as Murphy's Law seems to be a prominent factor in my life. Better to be safe than mauled.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Excellent points, Urban. I researched the area before going. It's not known (lately, anyway) for a high density of bears, but I saw some bear scat and a few bear tracks when I was there in late May of 2016.

You seem pretty bright, so I'm afraid to let you know where I was. But
it was after I had solved the poem, and wasn't much of a "learning curve" experience, except for seeing those things and a sudden snowfall. My solve has been bolstered since then -- and yes, I have considered "confirmation bias" . . . but don't see any. Good luck. Enjoy the
experience.
04-08-2017, 08:31 PM,
New Treasure Hunter
Thanks Andrew Jef. You seem like a good guy. We got an 'alert' that bears were coming out of their dens in certain areas. Just the thought makes me a little nervous. Did buy one of those marine horns (you really should read the reviews on amazon for the product -- highly amusing), bear spray, and I do have a .375 because a girl can never be too careful in my opinion). And before anyone wants to start lecturing on guns and parks, etc., am very much up to speed on and do's and don'ts, thank you very much.

Seems like a lot of folks (me included, so no passing judgment by any means) get an idea or theory in their head, then that quickly becomes THE only solution (because, duh).....and the more you "look" into the poem and what you perceive to be clues from other writings, videos, articles - only stand to solidify that your solve is THE solve above all others. Then it keeps you up at night. This can be a little addictive if you let it.

But maybe that's just me. Wink

Anyway - Best of luck to you as well. Sounds like you were "this close" on your May 2016 Treasure Hunting Expedition. Hope your next hunt is the 'one.' I'll be happy to share the trials and tribulations of our expedition when we're out in Montana this May. Will serve as comic relief if nothing else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
04-08-2017, 08:35 PM,
New Treasure Hunter
I took a bear bell and had spray. Didn't see one. But your right, never too careful.

I would carry but decided against it since I flew in.

Oh just wait for summer , the pics and excuses become legendary. Most get deleted so if you are here when they are posted, you will see how fun it gets to read. And add me to the list. I actually posted during my botg trip one time and the joke was on me. We all have come home empty handed.

Kpro

Email: kpro3@aol.con
Interesting sites: