Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to train for solving the poem...
04-26-2017, 12:02 PM,
How to train for solving the poem...
... Do NYT crosswords.

For one thing it will expand your vocabulary, but the real benefit comes from learning how to solve the clever clues that utilize a pun. Learning how to solve these types of clues to the point where you just know incontrovertibly that you have a tight and unambiguous correct answer to the pun is a skill that is directly applicable to the Fenn poem.

Games Magazine is also good that regard.

Of course, if nothing else crosswords & word puzzles are also just good exercise for the mind.
04-26-2017, 12:12 PM,
RE: How to train for solving the poem...
I'm sorry, is this all to figure out Fenn's poem, or how to remember what your name is in the morning?

Confused
04-26-2017, 01:04 PM,
You know, I'm almost sorry that I figured out the poem in 5 hours, with crossword puzzles out there, dictionaries, game magazines, word puzzles, and last but not least taking a English lit. class at my local community college.....Oh Boy, if I had it all to do over again, my loss.
04-26-2017, 01:18 PM,
#realistrealist

How do you know what I am thinking? I have never posted my solve anywhere.

Interpretation beat?? What the hell is that?? People quit using BIG WORDS!!! I can't keep going back and forth between CC and Google to look up the meaning of BIG WORDS!!! Remember, I'm limited.
04-26-2017, 01:20 PM,
(04-26-2017, 01:11 PM)realistrealist Wrote:
(04-26-2017, 01:04 PM)Gordon Lightfoot Wrote: You know, I'm almost sorry that I figured out the poem in 5 hours, with crossword puzzles out there, dictionaries, game magazines, word puzzles, and last but not least taking a English lit. class at my local community college.....Oh Boy, if I had it all to do over again, my loss.

I've read what you thought and I'm not surprised it took you 5 hours. Mine took a week and I sincerely doubt you have the interpretation beat ;P

I've read what you thought and I'm not surprised it took you a week. Mine took a few years and I sincerely doubt you have the interpretation beat ;P
04-26-2017, 01:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-26-2017, 01:21 PM by HalloweenCandy.)
OP, I lean toward your interpretation as well. Many of the statements in the poem read like crossword puzzle clues. There is one that was very clear to me but that I was surprised to never see the interpretation mentioned anywhere in posts/blogs. But I'm unsure what the purpose of these "crossword clues" are: if they're just double meanings merely there to be playful, if they're red herrings, or if all the "crossword clues" when read together will reveal the geographical location...
04-26-2017, 01:25 PM,
(04-26-2017, 01:22 PM)realistrealist Wrote:
(04-26-2017, 01:18 PM)Gordon Lightfoot Wrote: #realistrealist

How do you know what I am thinking? I have never posted my solve anywhere.

Interpretation beat?? What the hell is that?? People quit using BIG WORDS!!! I can't keep going back and forth between CC and Google to look up the meaning of BIG WORDS!!! Remember, I'm limited.

Interpretation = version of solution

You've hinted at a location...somewhere; I forget what you said exactly. You tend to bloviate with bombastic speech Smile

Honestly, I really should take a class at the local community college. I'm operating at a 6th grade level and everyone else on here are like shakespeare.
04-26-2017, 01:31 PM,
Fenn is a wordsmith, not only does he know and understand well above an average number of words and use them, he also likes to play with them - puns, turn of phrase, riddles.....he really does have an essense of "Fenn Speak" that is uniquely his, but over time, reveals itself. I can almost imagine when he was in the Air Force, his commanding officer, often frustrated saying "Fenn, where'd you get them words?"
04-26-2017, 01:52 PM,
None of this is necessary.

What did forrest say?
- Only basic knowledge of geography (like knowing what a canyon is)
- No specialty knowledge
- Give the poem is kids

None of these recommendations are necessary, just more over thinking the clues.
04-26-2017, 03:04 PM,
(04-26-2017, 01:52 PM)ryanrich Wrote: None of this is necessary.

What did forrest say?
- Only basic knowledge of geography (like knowing what a canyon is)
- No specialty knowledge
- Give the poem is kids

None of these recommendations are necessary, just more over thinking the clues.

...a comprehensive knowledge of geography might help.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Forrest Said Solving Blaze Puts You How Close? minotaur_moreno 49 12,039 10-01-2017, 08:48 PM
Last Post: Kpro
  Nazi gold treasure train found in Poland? 23kachinas 3 2,238 09-01-2015, 10:57 PM
Last Post: Windy City
  solving for a right triangle James Perotti 9 1,652 05-16-2015, 09:24 PM
Last Post: trigace
  On problem solving John Brown 43 4,257 12-24-2013, 10:13 PM
Last Post: samsmith