Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First trip to Colorado.. Ever
04-27-2017, 07:55 AM,
Sorry for the intrusion.
My name is Dan. My wife and I are planning a trip through Colorado.
We both have been raised in Chicago.
Complete city folk. And we have no idea what we are getting ourselves into.
I did a few youtube videos people took while driving in the mountains.
We are used to other drivers right up your ass all of the time if your not doing
over the speed limit. Here, it's not that bad to roll at 70-85 mph in 55-65 zones.
Due to the fact you can see where you are going.
But what I see in the videos are roads that twist and dip all over the place
and I can't see the road ahead. Making me , the driver, concerned what I am in store for. For instance, when I am driving I-90 at 80-90 mph and I see a guy from out of town driving the speed limit. I know that said driver does not understand the
"Play Ground Rules" around here and he is just being cautious. But the other drivers are right there right up the guys ass.
I'm coming to you asking " What are the play ground rules" in the mountains
in Colorado?
If I am driving straight up the mountains on those twisty,winding,up,down roads and the limit is 75, would the mass of the locals understand I must be scared stiff and allow me the time needed or would they be just like people in Chicago. Right up your bumper screaming and carrying on? Even if I would pull over to let them pass all they would do is lay on their horn, slam the gas down and flip ya the bird as they passed you.
( This state is so great . I was born and raised here. No wonder I am such an angry person)

I have also read to watch the weather.
If your new to mountains the slightest snow fall could put in a state of panic.
Does that information hold any value?

Thanks for any insight on this.
04-27-2017, 08:38 AM,
Hi there Mr. Rgdyman, depends a lot on where you're going. For the most part, the mountain roads can't sustain speed limits and speeds of 75. If you're on the interstate, then it will be like anywhere else. Generally, the locals are pretty laid back when driving in the mountains because there are many hazards like rocks and wildlife in the road that make the driving unpredictable - especially at night. Very often it is the out-of-towners who are driving like maniacs. You definitely would be best served to not be in a hurry. Holidays around the larger cities will have a ridiculous amount of traffic that will make you insane as all the outdoorsie's head to the hills for the weekend.

It can snow at any time of year and if you are in a two wheel drive vehicle you need to avoid the mountains when snow is in the forecast. Otherwise, easy-does-it is the best advice.
04-27-2017, 02:13 PM,
RE: First trip to Colorado.. Ever
The one thing that gets most visitors here is the altitude. You can't expect to go from 1,000 feet or less above sea level to 10,000 feet and walk a mile. You are sure to get a headache and feel very sick. Welcome to Colorful Colorado!!
04-28-2017, 08:12 AM,
Thanks for the insight.
Slow and easy while I feel sick due to the altitude. Sounds good.
Smile

I was talking to another person that lives in Colorado.
I was informed to not travel far off of main roads due to a lot of areas being private property.
With that in mind.
Is it safe to assume just picking a side road and having a walk is out of the question?

Note : I am asking for insight and not asking to pin point any treasure. Granted, I would have never went to the mountains with out the chase in mind , but as time has passed the idea of seeing all of this has been intriguing. The thought of going to hiking paths with garbage cans and benches all around would defeat the purpose. We would really like to walk in the mountains not surrounded by signs and all that.
Of course we wouldn't walk through a herd of man eating Elk or anything.
LOL, I couldn't even tell you if Elk would charge us or just walk away.. LOL
The most I have encountered are a couple squirrels running by.
04-28-2017, 09:59 AM,
Yes, it is best to keep your distance from elk and moose. As far as travelling the backroads in the mountains, as long as you stick to numbered forest service roads or county roads you should be okay. There is a lot of private property adjacent to many forest service roads (mine included), but generally they are fenced and/or signed as "no trespassing." I find most folks in Colorado are friendly and kind if you are friendly and kind. Of course, that is a native's perspective. If you have a specific area in mind, I suggest you visit the local County Assessor website. Many of them have maps with lot/parcel lines and information regarding private properties. Enjoy the wonder!!
04-30-2017, 10:09 AM,
Colorado natives are great drivers considered to else where. They learn how to drive in inches of snow with white out blizzard conditions with sloops and curves everywhere. In Colorado where I used to live during the winter often out of towners would roll there vehicles down a 1000 ft mountain slope and more often than not they would live. Over time so many crosses would appear they would have to keep taking them down. Even with 80% of the road having guard rails. If your not use to those roads or driving condition I would recommend caution. Depending on where you go you'll see no trespassing signs on public property that are obviously decades old. The trespassing signs to beware of are the ones that are obviously new and on a fence line. I would recommend if your gps sends you down a dirt road you have never been on before and you don't have 4 wheel drive be very cautious because if you get stuck or something happens to your vehicle you most likely will not have cell service. The elk are pretty much harmless unless you are around them during the rut(its there mating season September -October). I've feed more than I can remember right out of my hand but the bulls usually stay away. If you see a moose be very cautious but they are rear to see in most areas. The bears there are more afraid of you than you will be of them unless you come upon a momma and her cub. Altitude sickness usually sets in around 8000 ft if you haven't acclimated and much of the high lighted portion of the map in the back of TFTW in Colorado is above that. If you have other question I can answer them for you Smile

down with the evil twin

Educate yourself, it saves lives maybe your own.

Haters gonna hate
05-08-2017, 06:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-08-2017, 06:14 PM by Gilagin.)
(04-27-2017, 07:55 AM)rgdyman Wrote: Sorry for the intrusion.
My name is Dan. My wife and I are planning a trip through Colorado.
We both have been raised in Chicago.
Complete city folk. And we have no idea what we are getting ourselves into.
I did a few youtube videos people took while driving in the mountains.
We are used to other drivers right up your ass all of the time if your not doing
over the speed limit. Here, it's not that bad to roll at 70-85 mph in 55-65 zones.
Due to the fact you can see where you are going.
But what I see in the videos are roads that twist and dip all over the place
and I can't see the road ahead. Making me , the driver, concerned what I am in store for. For instance, when I am driving I-90 at 80-90 mph and I see a guy from out of town driving the speed limit. I know that said driver does not understand the
"Play Ground Rules" around here and he is just being cautious. But the other drivers are right there right up the guys ass.
I'm coming to you asking " What are the play ground rules" in the mountains
in Colorado?
If I am driving straight up the mountains on those twisty,winding,up,down roads and the limit is 75, would the mass of the locals understand I must be scared stiff and allow me the time needed or would they be just like people in Chicago. Right up your bumper screaming and carrying on? Even if I would pull over to let them pass all they would do is lay on their horn, slam the gas down and flip ya the bird as they passed you.
( This state is so great . I was born and raised here. No wonder I am such an angry person)

I have also read to watch the weather.
If your new to mountains the slightest snow fall could put in a state of panic.
Does that information hold any value?

Thanks for any insight on this.

Rgdyman, I am not from Colorado, although I wish I could say I was. I just have one cautionary note for you. On my first trip from Northern CA to CO it was the end of May 2014, we headed out of Denver West on I-70 on a mostly sunny day, we veered north on the I-40 and soon found snow tapping the windshield of our rented SUV. We began twisting and turning our way up to an altitude beyond 11,000 ft and we soon found ourselves in a blistering wind, heavy snow/whiteout conditions. Now I've been in a plane (707) that was hit by lightning and shut down our engines resulting in a free-fall on my last day in the service; the fear scale 1 to 10, of course, reached 10. I have not come close to that scale of fear till my first trip into the Rockies. I could not see the road, I could not tell where the paved road ended and the dirt began, and the rental car did not come with chains, and of course, I was not at all familiar with the car. I could not tell where the road curved and where it was straight. My knuckles were just as white driving that SUV that day as they were on the plane in 1966. Since then I've made a second trip and will be making a third. I guess I'm saying if you plan to travel in late May take care. Best of luck, and I hope you have a great time.
05-13-2017, 08:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-13-2017, 08:40 PM by RahRah.)
Colorado is an absolutely beautiful state - drivers are pretty laid back, highways have speed limits that reflect the road....and I-70 does have changing speed limits, sometimes it's 70, sometimes 50...pay attention because when the speed limit drops, it's usually because of sharp curves ahead! You can buy local maps that will highlight public land for you to be able to tell when you're nearing or on private property, most private owners do put up signs or fence so you can tell by that too. Give yourself time to acclimate to the altitude before going higher....stick to a day or two in the Denver area, then head up to 7-8,000, wait a day or so if you can, then you should be okay to go to 10-11,000+ without any real issues other than what everyone experiences with thinner air (unless you live at that altitude, then you get used to it). Have fun - good luck!

I forgot, I don't think there are any back roads that will have speed limits at 70-75.....but there are lots of them with speed limits that 'seem' ridiculously slow, 25 mph, until you start hitting the curves on a down grade, then you understand why!