Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First trip to Colorado.. Ever
Yesterday, 07:55 AM,
Sorry for the intrusion.
My name is Dan. My wife and I are planning a trip through Colorado.
We both have been raised in Chicago.
Complete city folk. And we have no idea what we are getting ourselves into.
I did a few youtube videos people took while driving in the mountains.
We are used to other drivers right up your ass all of the time if your not doing
over the speed limit. Here, it's not that bad to roll at 70-85 mph in 55-65 zones.
Due to the fact you can see where you are going.
But what I see in the videos are roads that twist and dip all over the place
and I can't see the road ahead. Making me , the driver, concerned what I am in store for. For instance, when I am driving I-90 at 80-90 mph and I see a guy from out of town driving the speed limit. I know that said driver does not understand the
"Play Ground Rules" around here and he is just being cautious. But the other drivers are right there right up the guys ass.
I'm coming to you asking " What are the play ground rules" in the mountains
in Colorado?
If I am driving straight up the mountains on those twisty,winding,up,down roads and the limit is 75, would the mass of the locals understand I must be scared stiff and allow me the time needed or would they be just like people in Chicago. Right up your bumper screaming and carrying on? Even if I would pull over to let them pass all they would do is lay on their horn, slam the gas down and flip ya the bird as they passed you.
( This state is so great . I was born and raised here. No wonder I am such an angry person)

I have also read to watch the weather.
If your new to mountains the slightest snow fall could put in a state of panic.
Does that information hold any value?

Thanks for any insight on this.
Yesterday, 08:38 AM,
Hi there Mr. Rgdyman, depends a lot on where you're going. For the most part, the mountain roads can't sustain speed limits and speeds of 75. If you're on the interstate, then it will be like anywhere else. Generally, the locals are pretty laid back when driving in the mountains because there are many hazards like rocks and wildlife in the road that make the driving unpredictable - especially at night. Very often it is the out-of-towners who are driving like maniacs. You definitely would be best served to not be in a hurry. Holidays around the larger cities will have a ridiculous amount of traffic that will make you insane as all the outdoorsie's head to the hills for the weekend.

It can snow at any time of year and if you are in a two wheel drive vehicle you need to avoid the mountains when snow is in the forecast. Otherwise, easy-does-it is the best advice.
Yesterday, 02:13 PM,
RE: First trip to Colorado.. Ever
The one thing that gets most visitors here is the altitude. You can't expect to go from 1,000 feet or less above sea level to 10,000 feet and walk a mile. You are sure to get a headache and feel very sick. Welcome to Colorful Colorado!!
4 hours ago,
Thanks for the insight.
Slow and easy while I feel sick due to the altitude. Sounds good.
Smile

I was talking to another person that lives in Colorado.
I was informed to not travel far off of main roads due to a lot of areas being private property.
With that in mind.
Is it safe to assume just picking a side road and having a walk is out of the question?

Note : I am asking for insight and not asking to pin point any treasure. Granted, I would have never went to the mountains with out the chase in mind , but as time has passed the idea of seeing all of this has been intriguing. The thought of going to hiking paths with garbage cans and benches all around would defeat the purpose. We would really like to walk in the mountains not surrounded by signs and all that.
Of course we wouldn't walk through a herd of man eating Elk or anything.
LOL, I couldn't even tell you if Elk would charge us or just walk away.. LOL
The most I have encountered are a couple squirrels running by.
3 hours ago,
Yes, it is best to keep your distance from elk and moose. As far as travelling the backroads in the mountains, as long as you stick to numbered forest service roads or county roads you should be okay. There is a lot of private property adjacent to many forest service roads (mine included), but generally they are fenced and/or signed as "no trespassing." I find most folks in Colorado are friendly and kind if you are friendly and kind. Of course, that is a native's perspective. If you have a specific area in mind, I suggest you visit the local County Assessor website. Many of them have maps with lot/parcel lines and information regarding private properties. Enjoy the wonder!!