Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the blaze cant be seen from a distance
12-17-2013, 03:12 PM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Desertphile on December 17, 2013, 7:31 pm</b>
<div class="bbcode_quote">
<b>Quote from John Brown on December 17, 2013, 6:29 pm</b>
<b>Quote from BrazenBull on December 17, 2013, 3:12 pm</b>

"If you've been wise and found the blaze, Look quickly down, your quest to cease"

You have to be on top of the blaze to find it, or really close for these two lines to make sense.
</div>

It doesn't say look down at the blaze. It says if you've found it look quickly down. It could be the sun and the lines can still make sense.</div>
</div>

Agreed. If <b>The Blaze</b> is the blaze I think it is in an image I found, then it can be seen for at least 1,000 feet.</div>
</div>

And I think it is the sun which can be seen for at least 93 million miles and presumably even for lightyears if anyone's there to see it.
12-17-2013, 03:28 PM,
---Bull

I agree but it is also possible that the blaze could be on a cliff viewed 100's of yards away and you need to look quickly down to see the crevice, cave, or whatever where the chest is concealed. Just an expample as to where the blaze could be seen some distance away.

I think the blaze is very close to the chest and you have to be very close to see the blaze. That's why Forrest said it was difficult to find... but not impossible. I do not dismiss that the blaze could be seen from a distance and I keep this in mind when out on a quest. I also feel, that if the blaze can be seen from a distance, that it (blaze and/or hidey hole) is only visible from one particular spot. This would make it difficult to find.
12-17-2013, 06:29 PM,

"If you've been wise and found the blaze, Look quickly down, your quest to cease"

You have to be on top of the blaze to find it, or really close for these two lines to make sense.
</div>

It doesn't say look down at the blaze. It says if you've found it look quickly down. It could be the sun and the lines can still make sense.

12-17-2013, 07:21 PM,

You have to be on top of the blaze to find it, or really close for these two lines to make sense. The Blaze can't be seen from more than one way or at a distance. It could be in a crevice or on an outcropping, but I think you will find it at the end of a path you can't go any further or on top of something that you can't see from ground level.
</div>

It is a possibility. That is certainly one interpretation. I have always also considered the possibility that the blaze is large and far away, and maybe you need to look quickly down as soon as it comes into view and you recognize the blaze for what it is. Not keep admiring it and walking toward it. Hence "tarry scant with marvel gaze" might mean don't keep admiring the blaze or you'll walk right past the treasure.

mdavis19
12-17-2013, 07:31 PM,

</div>

It doesn't say look down at the blaze. It says if you've found it look quickly down. It could be the sun and the lines can still make sense.</div>
</div>

Agreed. If <b>The Blaze</b> is the blaze I think it is in an image I found, then it can be seen for at least 1,000 feet.
12-17-2013, 07:41 PM,

<b>Quote from Desertphile on December 17, 2013, 7:31 pm</b>

</div>

</div>

Agreed. If <b>The Blaze</b> is the blaze I think it is in an image I found, then it can be seen for at least 1,000 feet.</div>
</div>

And I think it is the sun which can be seen for at least 93 million miles and presumably even for lightyears if anyone's there to see it.
12-17-2013, 07:51 PM,

<b>Quote from John Brown on December 17, 2013, 7:41 pm</b>

</div>

So how would that work? The sun is constantly moving (from our perspective) during the day, and from day to day. How would it act as a marker? Or are you referring to something like an Indian sun symbol in a petroglyph?

mdavis19
12-17-2013, 08:13 PM,

<b>Quote from mdavis19 on December 17, 2013, 7:51 pm</b>

</div>

So how would that work? The sun is constantly moving (from our perspective) during the day, and from day to day. How would it act as a marker? Or are you referring to something like an Indian sun symbol in a petroglyph?

mdavis19</div>
</div>

For the sun to give a Line of Position, a time and date is required; there are no such things in the poem, nor even hinted at. If the sun is used for a LOP, one still needs at least one more LOP that crosses the sun's LOP before a location can be derived. The sun's apparent altitude will always be southward regardless of its azimuth when viewed from Santa Fe and north of Santa Fe; the sun cannot be directly over any position in the United States. I therefore cannot see how the sun can be used as a marker in the poem.
12-17-2013, 08:23 PM,

<b>Quote from Desertphile on December 17, 2013, 8:13 pm</b>
<b>Quote from mdavis19 on December 17, 2013, 7:51 pm</b>

</div>

mdavis19</div>
</div>

For the sun to give a Line of Position, a time and date is required; there are no such things in the poem, nor even hinted at. If the sun is used for a LOP, one still needs at least one more LOP that crosses the sun's LOP before a location can be derived. The sun's apparent altitude will always be southward regardless of its azimuth when viewed from Santa Fe and north of Santa Fe; the sun cannot be directly over any position in the United States. I therefore cannot see how the sun can be used as a marker in the poem.</div>
</div>

But I can!
12-17-2013, 08:35 PM,

<b>Quote from Desertphile on December 17, 2013, 8:13 pm</b>

The sun's apparent altitude will always be southward regardless of its azimuth when viewed from Santa Fe and north of Santa Fe; the sun cannot be directly over any position in the United States.
</div>

The bearing of the setting sun as seen from Taos on the summer solstice is about 300 degrees from north, which means it is 30 degrees north of due west.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  string with knots to calculate distance 1 869 06-12-2018, 11:43 PM
Last Post: heyoka
  Distance between clues SoulMates4Ever 6 1,028 01-11-2018, 09:25 AM
Last Post: SoulMates4Ever
  Thoughts on treasures distance from a "human trail"? Pooka 35 13,967 11-16-2016, 05:44 PM
Last Post: JoeKing101
  Max Distance from the car? crustacean 12 5,940 08-02-2016, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Windy City
  Distance from town or city BrazenBull 1 1,087 04-24-2016, 07:14 PM
Last Post: musstag
  distance chest can be seen from BrazenBull 9 2,111 01-12-2015, 04:12 AM
Last Post: Chris Yates