Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet another contradiction in TTOTC
12-28-2013, 04:24 PM,
Forrest says in "Looking for Lewis And Clark" that porcupine meat tastes like kerosene. I'm watching Alaska the Last Frontier and they just shot and cooked up a porcupine. They claim it is some of the best tasting of all meats. Maybe Forrest and Donnie were just terrible bush cooks.

mdavis19
12-28-2013, 05:23 PM,
I just looked it up and someone said it tastes like a ribeye and very tasty. Hmmm...Forrest....did you embellish...and why??? Maybe it just made for a funny story.
12-28-2013, 05:44 PM,
The same animal they did shoot earlier in the story he said he'd rather not talk about? And yeah, at that age I would guess they were pretty bad at camp meat cookin'...sumpin' there?...more confusion?!...LOL... Smile
12-28-2013, 06:18 PM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from mdavis19 on December 28, 2013, 4:24 pm</b>

Forrest says in "Looking for Lewis And Clark" that porcupine meat tastes like kerosene. I'm watching Alaska the Last Frontier and they just shot and cooked up a porcupine. They claim it is some of the best tasting of all meats. Maybe Forrest and Donnie were just terrible bush cooks.

mdavis19
</div>

I had a theory for that a while back. It didn't seem very important though. I'd always heard it was good.
12-28-2013, 06:32 PM,
Armadillo? Dont eat that. They carry Hansens disease also known as leprosy.
Shhh they aren't listening.
12-28-2013, 06:38 PM,
Wouldn't advise sampling possum either, unless you like grease...coon's not bad really, a little dry and stringy if not properly prepared... Smile
12-28-2013, 09:57 PM,
Porc's are good eatin'! Hell to catch by hand tho...
12-29-2013, 12:22 AM,
Porcupine are members of the order rodentia (e.g., rats, chinchilla, guinea pigs, etc.), most of which are edible, and all of which contain a variety of glands that if punctured or not removed when dressing the animal can taint the meat with bad, and sometimes, dangerous, flavors and odors. If you cook any meat over a kerosene-generated flame, it picks up the flavor and odor.

Toby Michael Younis

http://www.tyounis.com
https://www.agypsyskiss.com
https://www.youtube.com/c/agypsyskiss
12-29-2013, 01:08 AM,
That would solve that Toby. If Forrest reads what you said...I bet he's calling his butcher tomorrow to rethink his opinion lol.
12-29-2013, 08:32 AM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from tyounis on December 29, 2013, 12:22 am</b>

Porcupine are members of the order rodentia (e.g., rats, chinchilla, guinea pigs, etc.), most of which are edible, and all of which contain a variety of glands that if punctured or not removed when dressing the animal can taint the meat with bad, and sometimes, dangerous, flavors and odors. If you cook any meat over a kerosene-generated flame, it picks up the flavor and odor.
</div>

I guess inexperienced hunters improperly dressing the animal could explain it. There was no mention of a kerosene stove in the chapter. The only fire-making materials he mentions are matches, and the map they burned. The photos show the horses packed pretty lightly and no sign of a stove.

mdavis19

EDIT: If they couldn't even make a fire without using up nearly all their matches, then it's not hard to believe they didn't know how to properly butcher the porcupine. Chalk it up to inexperience.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another Contradiction by Fenn djjmciv 18 4,532 11-05-2015, 03:53 PM
Last Post: Larsonist
  Fenn's Future Grave site contradiction..? glock20 2 1,138 09-18-2015, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Hammertime