Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brother Fenn
07-11-2017, 07:28 AM,
Brother Fenn
I’m still looking for the why of ‘the Chase’. I don’t know who said it but somewhere on the blogs somebody said get to know Fenn to understand the poem. Richard E. Saunier in his Mountain Walk blog has some insight into Forrest https://mountainwalk.org/2012/02/28/brot...nn-part-i/ . Forrest said somewhere he isn’t religious, but you wouldn’t find a more spiritual person or something to that effect. That didn’t make much sense to me but I heard that again at a funeral earlier this year. I don’t remember exactly but it struck me at the time that the pastor (or whatever he was) said he wasn’t religious. You can be a ‘spokesman’ for God and not be religious? Wow, that was new to me. Anyway, I’m not sure you can be “raised a Southern Baptist” and sit through 170 sermons a year and not have that permanently ingrained in your mind. I’ve know people raised Catholic and then walk away but they are always looking over their shoulder to see if Jesus is standing behind them. Vietnam had to play a big part in shaping Forrest Fenn and of course it’s the biggest chapter in TTOTC. Then came the art gallery phase of his life and hobnobbing with big wigs for years and being in the limelight and the center of attention. Maybe that is what all this is about, just getting back some of the good old days when he was the main attraction.
07-11-2017, 09:02 AM,
RE: Brother Fenn
(07-11-2017, 07:28 AM)sumbuddy Wrote: I’m still looking for the why of ‘the Chase’. I don’t know who said it but somewhere on the blogs somebody said get to know Fenn to understand the poem. Richard E. Saunier in his Mountain Walk blog has some insight into Forrest https://mountainwalk.org/2012/02/28/brot...nn-part-i/ . Forrest said somewhere he isn’t religious, but you wouldn’t find a more spiritual person or something to that effect. That didn’t make much sense to me but I heard that again at a funeral earlier this year. I don’t remember exactly but it struck me at the time that the pastor (or whatever he was) said he wasn’t religious. You can be a ‘spokesman’ for God and not be religious? Wow, that was new to me. Anyway, I’m not sure you can be “raised a Southern Baptist” and sit through 170 sermons a year and not have that permanently ingrained in your mind. I’ve know people raised Catholic and then walk away but they are always looking over their shoulder to see if Jesus is standing behind them.

Those Methodist (& later military chaplain) sermons turned me totally off of organized religion.

Quote:Vietnam had to play a big part in shaping Forrest Fenn and of course it’s the biggest chapter in TTOTC. Then came the art gallery phase of his life and hobnobbing with big wigs for years and being in the limelight and the center of attention. Maybe that is what all this is about, just getting back some of the good old days when he was the main attraction.

Could be - Fennboree was a good chance to hobnob with us little wigs
07-11-2017, 10:07 AM,
Fenn's definition of spiritual doesn't seem christian based to me. More like native American

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Ω  200 ft. Club  Ω
07-11-2017, 10:43 AM,
I believe Forrest was 'in love' with John Muir. He had, imo, the same feelings and thoughts. If you haven't studied Muir, some of his sayings:
"Another glorius day, the air as delicious to the lungs as nectar to the tongue."
"Most people are on the world, not in it--have no conscious sympathy or relationship to anything about them--undiffused, separate, and rigidly alone like marbles of polished stone, touching but separate."
"I only wentr out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in."
AND, most important,
"I'd rather be in the mountains thinking of God, than in church thinking of the mountains."
07-11-2017, 10:50 AM,
(07-11-2017, 10:43 AM)5GIRLS Wrote: I believe Forrest was 'in love' with John Muir. He had, imo, the same feelings and thoughts. If you haven't studied Muir, some of his sayings:
"Another glorius day, the air as delicious to the lungs as nectar to the tongue."
"Most people are on the world, not in it--have no conscious sympathy or relationship to anything about them--undiffused, separate, and rigidly alone like marbles of polished stone, touching but separate."
"I only wentr out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in."
AND, most important,
"I'd rather be in the mountains thinking of God, than in church thinking of the mountains."

thats pretty good 5 girls
07-11-2017, 10:52 AM,
ff's 'church is in the mountains and along the river bottoms where dreams and fantasies alike go to play.' He also said 'all of us are environmentalists to some degree, and me more than most.'

I think that ff's special spot will explain a lot about the way he thinks, what he thinks about. On the surface it won't be very much at all but there will be a lot to learn there. If you put the entirety of 'human' history on our little planet here on a timeline then 99% of it would be in the stone age. Don't forget of all his hundreds of thousands of things in his collection what his favorite one is. Sometimes I think our biggest job as searchers is to cut through the superfluous b.s.
07-12-2017, 06:25 AM,
Brother Fenn
(07-11-2017, 10:43 AM)5GIRLS Wrote: I believe Forrest was 'in love' with John Muir. He had, imo, the same feelings and thoughts. If you haven't studied Muir, some of his sayings:
AND, most important,

Very good.

Religious is much different than relationship.

You can have a relationship with God without being "religious."

My non-denominational church (Calvary Chapel) has always taught relationship not religion. Smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mindy's blogs:

http://www.fennhotspot.com
http://www.myeverwonderland.blogspot.com
07-12-2017, 08:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-12-2017, 08:32 AM by delayah.)
AND, most important,

I may have found my favorite scripture, not found in the bible...

Well has this man highlighted the plight people face as to surrendering to a societal system that dynamically tweak the rules to their benefit or submission to the Almighty Creator in your mind. Choose the latter in the mountains where He roams.

(07-12-2017, 06:25 AM)Mindy Wrote:
AND, most important,

Very good.

Religious is much different than relationship.

You can have a relationship with God without being "religious."

My non-denominational church (Calvary Chapel) has always taught relationship not religion. Smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Mindy,

Indeed.

Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.
(By Yaacov, the blood brother of Yahshua Messiah... James 1:27)
07-12-2017, 08:36 AM,
I don't think Forrest could sit still. His mind is too active. I believe he had to come up with an alternative plan to his parents upbringing of religion and saying spiritual gets him in any religious club for business and social reasons while getting a ticket to heaven if there was one, yet he can get away with going to have fun. That's my guess.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
07-12-2017, 09:09 AM,
(07-12-2017, 08:36 AM)admin Wrote: I don't think Forrest could sit still. His mind is too active. I believe he had to come up with an alternative plan to his parents upbringing of religion and saying spiritual gets him in any religious club for business and social reasons while getting a ticket to heaven if there was one, yet he can get away with going to have fun. That's my guess.

Exactly. He's re-writing spiritual boundaries to suit his needs. I think he envies the freedom of natives or nature to behave as they please. This might include deception, promiscuity, or demise.. breaking traditional rules
That's the full spectrum of his definition imo.
Ω  200 ft. Club  Ω

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Holden Caulfields brother is named DB Hammertime 8 2,527 02-03-2017, 01:33 PM
Last Post: Mindy