Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Sadly, more will die
07-30-2017, 01:58 PM,
RE: Sadly, more will die
(07-30-2017, 01:45 PM)HalloweenCandy Wrote: DebbieDowner, you are probably right that there will be more calamities associated with the Chase, and I'll tentatively predict that FF will end the Chase at some point by telling his grandson to go retrieve it & bring it back to him, so he can shut the whole thing down for good.

I could totally be wrong though.

This is what I am hoping does not happen. The chase is really fun for so many, with a few more precautions and something to hang our hats on as concrete information would go a long way to keep it from happening.

Do you think Randy, Paris, and Eric would be alive today if we had more to go on? Nobody was dying when Forrest was involved, did they? It was all positive press and good times. The way it still should be in my opinion.
07-30-2017, 02:06 PM,
Being of sound mind I accept full responsibility for any consequences that are a result of my personal decisions to associate myself with this treasure hunt and to willingly pursue this treasure, shall it exist or not. Should I accidentally lose my life while exercising my other inalienable rights to liberty and the pursuit of happiness I understand that I alone am responsible for that forfeiture. Neither Forrest Fenn nor any member of the general public have used coercion as a means to make me think about this treasure hunt or to act upon it. Should I accidentally lose my life and it be deemed that I was not of sound mind to recognize the hazards that I faced and make sound decisions regarding those hazards then the only logical recourse, albeit one that would be against my wishes, is an investigation into any possible neglect by those I was close to or in the care of.
07-30-2017, 02:10 PM,
My cousin lost his life in a skiing accident. They did not close the ski area.
07-30-2017, 02:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2017, 02:22 PM by HalloweenCandy.)
(07-30-2017, 02:10 PM)5GIRLS Wrote: My cousin lost his life in a skiing accident. They did not close the ski area.

Not remotely analogous...
07-30-2017, 02:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2017, 02:29 PM by RahRah.)
(07-30-2017, 01:40 PM)debbiedowner Wrote: The topic is open for discussion and differing viewpoints are welcome. It just appears the chase is heading in the wrong direction since Randy's death and the sites go on business as usual trying to put a happy spin on what is becoming an unhappy situation.

I had hoped this topic would spur conversation on a productive suggestion that would satisfy both sides of the Fenn chase that maybe Fenn would see and consider. We are his consumers after all and I think Fenn might listen to what we have to say on the matter because if we don't the media and non chasers will.

The biggest problem with the idea that the chase has taken the wrong direction is that death, in and of itself, of someone who was searching isn't a wrong turn for the chase itself.

Think about it, everything we do in life has risk involved, even taking a shower in the morning can kill you....600+ a year die drowning in their bathtub!

When Philmont (BSA high adventure reserve in NM) had a scout die during a trek in 2015, did they call off all hikes and future hikes? No; in fact, his crew - after receiving medical attention and counseling - continued their trek in his honor!

When kayaks overturn and someone drowns, is kayaking banned?

Driving is deadly, yet we do it every day thinking we'll be fine, but more than 16,000 a year die is car accidents.

Did you know falling off a ladder, at a height of under 10 feet, kills about 1,000 people a year? Falls in the home kill another 6,000 a year. That's just basically accidentally tripping in your house, falling out of bed or falling off furniture.

Your risk of death is higher from a dog bite - 26 people a year die from dog bites - than the chase.

Just because something may be dangerous, and even in the past has proven fatal for some, that doesn't mean you no longer allow that something to continue.
07-30-2017, 02:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2017, 02:45 PM by Mapman51.)
(07-30-2017, 11:34 AM)debbiedowner Wrote: Sorry to be the debbie downer here but it's inevitable.

I am expecting a handful of you fanatics to respond here to praise Fenn and criticize the searchers who have died. Realize this fanaticism is part of the problem and why the chase is headed the direction it is. You could be influential in a positive change and the direction but should things remain the same I am afraid you will not like the eventual outcome that you had the ability to influence.

How very Donald Trump of you, to say that anyone who responds the opposite of what you think is a "Fanatic". Yes people died, ALL doing stupid things, Wal-Mart rafts, in fast moving rapids?, Stupid!! VERY SAD, but Stupid! The same as trying to lower yourself into a canyon with a kite string.
You said, " You could be influential in a positive change and the direction but should things remain the same I am afraid you will not like the eventual outcome that you had the ability to influence."
You can change a lot of things in life, but you can't fix stupid. The same as, "you can win an argument with an intelligent person, but never with a stupid one".

People die every day in cars, does that mean that Ford, Chevy, Dodge, and all other cars manufacturers are at Fault? NO!!
NO ONE forced anyone to go looking, and not in fast moving rivers in cheap Wal-Mart rafts.
Maybe you should blame and sue Wal-Mart for selling cheap crappy rafts. Would that make you happy debbie or is it just Forrest you are gunning for?

(07-30-2017, 02:28 PM)RahRah Wrote:
(07-30-2017, 01:40 PM)debbiedowner Wrote: The topic is open for discussion and differing viewpoints are welcome. It just appears the chase is heading in the wrong direction since Randy's death and the sites go on business as usual trying to put a happy spin on what is becoming an unhappy situation.

I had hoped this topic would spur conversation on a productive suggestion that would satisfy both sides of the Fenn chase that maybe Fenn would see and consider. We are his consumers after all and I think Fenn might listen to what we have to say on the matter because if we don't the media and non chasers will.

The biggest problem with the idea that the chase has taken the wrong direction is that death, in and of itself, of someone who was searching isn't a wrong turn for the chase itself.

Think about it, everything we do in life has risk involved, even taking a shower in the morning can kill you....600+ a year die drowning in their bathtub!

When Philmont (BSA high adventure reserve in NM) had a scout die during a trek in 2015, did they call off all hikes and future hikes? No; in fact, his crew - after receiving medical attention and counseling - continued their trek in his honor!

When kayaks overturn and someone drowns, is kayaking banned?

Driving is deadly, yet we do it every day thinking we'll be fine, but more than 16,000 a year die is car accidents.

Did you know falling off a ladder, at a height of under 10 feet, kills about 1,000 people a year? Falls in the home kill another 6,000 a year. That's just basically accidentally tripping in your house, falling out of bed or falling off furniture.

Your risk of death is higher from a dog bite - 26 people a year die from dog bites - than the chase.

Just because something may be dangerous, and even in the past has proven fatal for some, that doesn't mean you no longer allow that something to continue.

Well said Rahrah.
07-30-2017, 02:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2017, 02:59 PM by crazyfamily.)
Sadly, more will die
Please stop this stupid campaign to smear the chase with stupid people tricks.
07-30-2017, 03:00 PM,
Your analogies lack context RahRah and MapMan.

On a ski slope the owner marks the trails of difficulty. If they didn't they would be responsible for inexperienced skiers injuries or deaths. Or they would be responsible if experienced skiers went off trail and died if they weren't marked.

If Ford makes a Ford Pinto and knowingly puts it on the road in a dangerous condition(like with a gas tank that might blow up in 1 out of every 100,000 accidents under specific circumstances) then Ford can be held liable when someone gets into an accident.

The act of knowing there is danger is not enough to limit liability. Anyone who is a doctor, for example, knows full well about the risks of malpractice insurance even though the patient has been warned many many times about those risks.
07-30-2017, 03:08 PM,
nan·ny state * noun * the government regarded as overprotective or as interfering unduly with personal choice.

Before I started searching for Fenn's treasure, I was searching in the mountains of Colorado for a completely different, legendary lost treasure in the La Plata mountains. I went on several trips there due to the lure and for the adventure. If I got injured searching for that treasure, who would I blame? Who would my wife and family sue in that instance?

If Fenn invites me to his house, and I die in a car accident on the way, can my family sue him for this too?

Such nonsense. Don't be stupid. Fenn has given us plenty of common-sense warnings.
07-30-2017, 03:10 PM,
Sadly, more will die
I think this is interesting and I am not sure exactly where I land on this as it keeps evolving - even today before this post. I think Ff took a huge step lately in his words about not being in water and all the safety precautions.

I do find it interesting that the safety thread was updated and the post says "Whether we like it or not, we as blog owners now need to share the responsibility of keeping gold fever in check and to keep others from being target fixated. "

This is interesting as it seems that post went further than just Ff but that poster seems to believe blog owners have a responsibility ... not Ff but blog owners. Wow! Why not the response to that poster? Wow, just wow!

Kpro

Email: kpro3@aol.com